The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Good helmet if you need a Special Applications helmet. If you're doing autocross, I think it might be a bit much. Do you really need the nomex lining? Remember that nomex shrinks in a fire also, so you're advised to wear a head sock so (God forbid) if you're in a fire, the nomex doesn't melt onto your face.

Bob

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
If you're thinking about doing Track Days you should consider a at least a SA95 or better yet a SA2000 rated helmet. Many Track Day organizations like NASA & SCCA require SA rating (a motorcycle helmet isn't allowed).

If you're going to autocross then it's not as critical and most DOT approved helmets will meet requirements (but typically don't offer the safety of a Snell approved bucket).

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm looking at maybe tracking the car later. But say I take it to LOG; don't they require an SA2000 helmet? Also I figure Imight as well get a nice helmet that will last a long time.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
My philosophy for a buying a helmet is simple.... HOW MUCH IS MY HEAD WORTH???

You can get a Simpson or Bell SA2000 for under $400 (full face). It will last 5 years (assuming you take proper care of it and don't "use" it). Then the regs will change & you'll need to upgrade.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
khamai said:
My philosophy for a buying a helmet is simple.... HOW MUCH IS MY HEAD WORTH???
Really? Only $300? $400?

:)

My philosophy is not tied to the value of my head. It's "does the helmet pass the required safety standards and how cheap can I get it?" And... more money buys you a lighter helmet, a newer model, more marketing features, perhaps different eye openings, ventilation.

Because I have 4 helmets. Almost all under $150. I like an open face for autocrossing and need a full face with shield for kart racing.

I agree with getting a newer rating, because no matter what, you buy 5 more years of use. And I agree with an SA rating if you should choose to do sanctioned track events. Note, most club track events it will not matter. I just ran the Time Attack at Buttonwillow sponsored by NASA and they did not check my helmets.

·
Banned
901 Posts
GMORE:

The LOG 24 track day at Barber Motorsports track will require an SA95 or newer helmet. No motorcycle helmets will be permitted.

As Kiyoshi noted, how much is your noggin worth? Most clubs or tracks are moving toward SA helmets.

Mark

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
my stepdad has the Bandit, it seems like a pretty decent helmet. I use the Champ helmet from Impact Racing which is Bill Simpson's new company. I love it. I also have their gloves which are the best gloves i've used.

-Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
rtking said:
Good helmet if you need a Special Applications helmet. If you're doing autocross, I think it might be a bit much. Do you really need the nomex lining? Remember that nomex shrinks in a fire also, so you're advised to wear a head sock so (God forbid) if you're in a fire, the nomex doesn't melt onto your face.

Bob
I never heard that Nomex Shrinks and melts in a fire.... I thought that Nomex helps protect you in a fire. And racing headsocks are made of Nomex.... so are the suits, driving gloves, socks and underwear.

Correct me if I'm wrong....

Jose Soriano

1 - 15 of 15 Posts