The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post about my motorcycle :)

I love it.

There's nothing like it on earth. If it weren't for the other drivers on the road scaring the hell out of me, it would become my daily driver in the summer/spring/fall. Handling is incredible, and I haven't even pushed it anywhere near its limits. As for acceleration, I haven't pushed that envelope either, and already what I've experienced is similar to what I'd imagine it feels like to be fired from a cannon. So far I've been keeping it pretty close to home, mainly on low traffic sideroads that I'm familiar with the surfaces of. There is a new sub division near my house that they put in all the streets for, cleaned up, and haven't built houses in yet for some reason... You'd swear they intended it to be a road course. I've been doing a lot of riding in there and that's where I've begun to appreciate the handling capabilities of the bike. Absolutely incredible. Hopefully by next spring I'll be comfortable/skilled enough to try a track day.

I'm scheduled for a safety course in September, and I made it a point to study all of the course materials and go by their guidelines in the mean time.

As for my choice of bikes... I'm pretty happy with the cbr600f3. I can definitely see why it's not good for a beginner, but it has been easy enough to get used to. I'd imagine it could be problematic for someone who wasn't willing to stay within their own personal limits, however.

I've put about 800 miles on the bike since I got it... 200 of those last friday. I've found it to be the best way to forget about work when I get home.

I think the remainder of the wait for my Elise would have been much more difficult had I decided not to get the bike.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Glad you're enjoying it. Next year trade up to a nice litre sized v-twin and really enjoy a torquey bike to get a different perspective.
Shiney side up :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want a proper "Elise like" bike - look at a KTM Duke. It is not the most powerful - but it is light, exotic and fast. Reminds you of something?

Here is mine:

Ron.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
To me, riding is one of the best feelings in the world. It feels like flying or floating... indescribeable. The way you lean into turns then "flick" the bike over the other way to tackle the next turn. And just the sensation of having to shift your weight in addition to handling the bars... it's just so involved and intense. When I rode, I never thought, "Gee, did I leave the stove on?" I just enjoyed the ride. Riding also teaches you alertness and anticipation in the form of extreme-defensive driving (riding?)

Depending on my ultimate car situation (what I end-up with, etc.) I'd love to add a Honda VFR 800 Interceptor to my little collection of toys. No more 600 cc sport bikes for me... the old wrists don't take the abuse so well anymore! :p :(

Bob

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I'd imagine it could be problematic for someone who wasn't willing to stay within their own personal limits, however.
Sadly enough this is my issue. I tend not to have fun until I've broken something or crashed. My best friend and I have very strict rule - NO MOTORCYCLES. Despite the fact that we both would love to have a fast ride 4 wheels are alot safer for us.

I really want a motorcycle. :(

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
One thing I can say is that I now hate SUV drivers even more than I did before I got the bike... and I really hated them already.

It's amazing how any person is capable of making such unpredictable, idiotic decisions on the road... such as "hmm... nobody in front of me, nobody behind me, but I think I'll pull up along-side this motorcycle and try to change lanes on top of him for no logical reason". Or the one I got to see yesterday which was "wow, that motorcycle rider sure does look like he's in the middle of a left hand turn, I think I'll drive through this stop sign and try to make my left first!".

And last but not least, there are the ones who think "hey look, a motorcycle! hurry and catch up to it so you can follow 2" behind the rear wheel!".

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
One thing I can say is that I now hate SUV drivers even more than I did before I got the bike... and I really hated them already.
What I love is as I got more used to riding and got better I saw myself 'seeing' the SUV/crappy drivers more and more. Furthermore, I could guess what they would do next and be ready for it or plain avoid it. If you're not there already you're going to love it when you ride about 15-30 seconds ahead of yourself. A skill that is sure to come in handy with the Elise. I for one am planning on driving it in the same manner as I ride, imagining that I have bullseye painted on my arse and everybody is aiming for it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had an F3 as my first bike, loved it. Ended up getting a 99 R6 eventually. And a Ducati that I rebuilt over 3 years.

Only thing I can say is ride safe. Lots of accidents out there. And try and get on a track. Completely different and wonderful experience. I have been on Daytona and Northern Fla Motorspeedway. An absolute blast.

Here's a pic of the Ducati, its for sale if anyone is interested.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts