The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when a Lotus is stuck "sitting in port" where's it sitting? Outside, inside, dock workers taking it for joy drives? Salt air gently corroding parts :confused:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
usually IN the container..... fairly well sealed... or in a warehouse. Is it in Charleston ?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
depends if its in a container :p

but aluminum doesnt oxidize like steel/iron does... it creates a thin coating of alumina on the surface that protects from further oxidation... it doesnt protect it from stinky salty dogs joy riding unfortunatly

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Lotus contracts with these guys (among others) to handle the cars at the port.

http://www.pashaautomotive.com/Processing.asp

I saw an interesting segment on Motor Week (one of the few ever) a while back detailing how Pasha handles "high-end" cars at the Port of Baltimore-the car featured in the segment was our own Elise. They appeared to handle them fairly carefully. And they did a fair amount of cosmetic repair (should it be needed) right there before releasing them.

Tom

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
So when a Lotus is stuck "sitting in port" where's it sitting? Outside, inside, dock workers taking it for joy drives? Salt air gently corroding parts :confused:

I ordered a sofa from Europe that sat "in port" for two months before being released. If any other industry ran their business like that, they'd be out of business.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't worry. The ILA has an Auto X course set-up at the Union Hall terminal here in Charleston. Your cars are being broken in by professionals. -eek-

The BMWs sit outside waiting to be loaded, but I've never seen the Lotus cars even though I know they bring them in here. Must mean they're containerized or in one of the warehouses.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I saw a TV program a couple of years ago which included a segment on Lotus Elise cars being prepared at their port of entry. The cars arrive in sealed containers. When removed from the containers, they are taken into a large building where they are inspected, minor defects/damage is repaired, and StarShield applied. I seem to recall that each car gets 4 to 6 hours of attention from the time they crack open the container until it is parked in the warehouse.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
is the port of entry in Long Beach for all Elise/Exige or does it vary by which region your dealer is at?
West coast deliveries go through Long Beach. East Coast deliveries go through Charleston (I believe). From the port, they are taken to the warehouse while still in the containers - so no long shoremen are driving our cars. They are unloaded from the containers into a building for "in port" processes (like installing the StarShield - they wait until it's state side so the paint cures). From there they are taken by covered trucks to the dealers.

The Elises/Exiges are pretty well protected during their shipment.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just be patient. Cars at the port need to pass through customs and have the starshield installed if you ordered that option. No one is joy riding the car. It is in good hands. :)

Please post pix when you get the car. Would be cool to see if side by side with a Krypton Green car.

·
Registered
773 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

AWESOME! :clap:

So you guys are all that much closer now, to your own!! Glad to hear it!! :cool:

And don't worry, as others have already said - These cars really are taken very GOOD care of during their shipping and delivery to our dealers. You should have no worries there at all.

Congratulations on your impending ownership!
Cant' wait to see the pix.

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We were told this morning that our Exige has been released by Lotus and is inbound to HRM. :popcorn:

Just be patient. Cars at the port need to pass through customs and have the starshield installed if you ordered that option. No one is joy riding the car. It is in good hands. :)

Please post pix when you get the car. Would be cool to see if side by side with a Krypton Green car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts