The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking @ my options for future purchase of either Elise or Exige, for light track use & weekends.

I've recently traded a 07 Porsche Cayman "I fit perfectly", for a 2010 Miata hard top "can not wear a helmet with top up".

My question would be to those members that have an idea of how much more if any "headroom" the Lotus offers with hard top installed.

I have ridden in an Exige once with my helmet @ a DE, but cant remember how well I fit.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I looked in most the Miata threads.

Thank you
Phillip

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
I haven't had a helmet on in both, but my mom has a Miata PRHT and I believe that even with the seat in its lowest position it has less headroom than the Elise with either top on. That's just a rough recollection, no hard numbers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I fit with a Bell Sport that I purchased from Bell Racing Helmets - Bell Sport Helmet SA2010
and it is perfect. The only problem I have, with the hard top on, is putting the helmet on while in the car. You just have to tilt your head to the side to get it on and off.

Otherwise, there is plenty of room.

Enjoy!

Dave

:UK:

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had a miata before, I have more room in the elise with the hard top than I had with the standard miata soft top. I'm 6 feet tall. But if you wear a large helmet and care about your life you will drive on the track without the top, otherwise you can't escape through the window.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm 5'7" and fit perfectly in the Elise with my helmet and hardtop on.
A bit better than the miata in fact because you sit lower in the car (elise seat bottom is practically on the floor)

Funny enough the car I had the most difficulty fitting in w/ a helmet was my E46 M3.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've had a miata before, I have more room in the elise with the hard top than I had with the standard miata soft top. I'm 6 feet tall. But if you wear a large helmet and care about your life you will drive on the track without the top, otherwise you can't escape through the window.
I don't think any helmet fits through the window with the hardtop on.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
How tall are you? last time I tried to take Shaquille O'neal for a ride he didn't fit and also do you have a big head like some famous members on here?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,686 Posts
Down Low Seat Rails from Sector111.com

·
Registered
841 Posts
I heard medium ones do, not that I fallow my own advice, I couldn't get out if I had to... :panic:
This is correct. Some of the medium helmets will fit sideways through an Exige's window aperture. My orange Simpson Bandit? Not a chance. These brain buckets are huge. :)

To put it on in an Exige or Elise, I tilt my head forward.

Edit: I'm 6'2".

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lotus needs to start making LS helmets too that will fit through the window with the hard top even in large size.

I love the helmet and suit color combo you have:D

·
Registered
841 Posts
Lotus needs to start making LS helmets too that will fit through the window with the hard top even in large size.
Aye, but the truth of the matter is that you can engineer more safety into a helmet with a larger larger volume helmet than a smaller one. Everything is a trade-off. :p

I love the helmet and suit color combo you have:D
Thank you, sir! As a dork, I try to color-coordinate. :D Rick, who runs the Driver's Edge school, likes to rib me about it: "You might not be fast, but at least you look damn good!"

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you have a Bride seat for example, you can adjust the height of the seat from low to super low. I have it in the middle position and I have at least one inch of room with my helmet on with the top on. I'm 1.84m but I also have short torso so I guess that doesn't count for much of anything.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Having owned both a Miata and Elise I can assure you there is more head and leg room in the Lotus however since I'm 6'4, a helmet in either with the top up is a squeeze. That said, I did one event in the rain with the Lotus and even with the soft top on, the helmet fit sorta OK. I've been in plenty of other "normal" sized cars that the headroom was significantly less than the Lotus.

Also, if you need just an inch or so more headroom in the Lotus, there are solutions that can help lower the seat but generally result in a fixed position driver's seat.

Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts