The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SizzFlair's Journey (update: 1/8th mile vid uploaded Post #19)

Hey guys,

I figured I'd keep track of my car's "build" on one thread so I don't have to dig around my computer :D Besides, it's another way to get on the forums more and make more friends.

Picked up the car from New Jersey. Drove it down (around 18 hours?) to Alabama.

Stock, 2010 S240 with LSD and touring pack. Possibly track pack since it had the harness bar too, but owner wasn't sure :confused: It has Bilsten coilovers but not sure if it's supposed to be ohlins for the track pack. Ordered the first mod for the car: Jim Clayton's Tow hook.

Anyway, major problem with the car was the amount of scratches/swirls/etc. The previous owner didn't have a garage and I don't think it was detailed at all :huh: This is also my first black car so it was hurting my eyes too much on how bad the condition of the paint was.

^Swirls and crap all over the car

I noticed that I had a porter cable laying around at home. Went to adam's detail and ordered a crap load of detailing supplies that will last me for a while

Clayed... lots of contamination

Taping for polishing

End result

Still a lot of scratches that I need to get out with a 4" focus pad and/or more aggressive polish. I was worn out after 3 DAYS of detailing so I just decided to enjoy the car for a few months until I strip it down again and make the paint in perfect condition.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I sold my motorcycle to get a list of parts for the car. I am more of a "hardcore" guy in terms of cars so I don't really care about comfort and noise (at least for now....I'm young and single). For a sports car, the car did not satisfy me in terms of the exhaust note. Well, I got a good deal on a BOE 1/4 stick from a fellow LT owner who said it was too loud for his taste. I've been growing up driving my subaru with a full catless exhaust so I took it :)

Stock vs BOE

BOE QS was definitely LOUD. Lots of gurgles and pops at low rpm and between shifts. Love the sound though, but drones on the freeway. Doesn't bother me though, only when I have a passenger and I need to talk to the person. I could still listen to my music :)

Then more parts came in. Phil from BOE decided to hook me up with a kold-fire 270 tune before the custom tune for all the parts I ordered from Thomas @ RLS. I was debating on going with a Blade 300, but I wanted the tune ability of the KF if I was to go with more modifications down the road

Kold-fire cable was definitely easy to use and no problems communicating with the car. Phil and Andrew @ BOE were very helpful and provided me a tune on SATURDAY while I was working on the car. Definitely a thumbs up customer service.

I got bored with the engine bay so:

Before

After

Used some roller that a fellow LT member suggested from amazon. Used high temp spray paint and used some painter's tape for the results. It's not perfect, but adds a little color to the engine bay until RLS parts arrive ;)

Stock vs BWR Decat

Stock vs ITG foam filter

I was thinking of going with the cup air filter, but Phil told me that this would be better so I went with my tuner's suggestion. Happy with it so far and fitment was great. It was a pain in the a$$ to put the filter box to close, but I read up on helpful tips and it definitely helped. Stuck a roll of tape between the firewall and the filter box, then had one arm in the engine bay and the other by the wheel well to line it up. I was cursing the whole time because it was so hot in my garage and I was getting frustrated haha.

Lastly, I cut the tip of the BOE QS exhaust (diffuser exit pipe). I really didn't like how it stuck out pointing to the ground. Now the pipe is flush with the diffuser and you can barely notice it.

Once all the parts were in, I loaded the KF tune and went for a test drive. I can definitely feel the difference on how RPM climbs and how it pulls to redline. With the decat, the noise is mindblowing! Gurgles and pops between shifts and sounds like a madman. The only downside is that I can barely hear the supercharger whine, but I hope the smaller pulley will fix this problem. Very happy with the tune... No 'MIL' light for decat either.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Looks like a blast so far - and nice job on the paint, I LOVE my porter cable and adams combo. Makes stuff look beautiful.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
This is great, thanks for sharing.

Did you also remove the butterfly valve on the intake box when you swapped the filter?
any pictures of the finished tip of the exhaust? that cut looked pretty rough.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Butterfly valve? You mean the snorkel? If so, yes I tookit out and threw it in the trash.

It was cut a Little rough since I was working with a chain type cutter I rented from autozone that was dull and wasnt working at all besides making dents. Got a new blade for my saw and it cut through like butter. I filed it down a little bit but Its not perfect. My goal was to hide the tip so...

Ill see if i can get a pic of it. Thanks for all the positive comments.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Butterfly valve? You mean the snorkel? If so, yes I tookit out and threw it in the trash.

It was cut a Little rough since I was working with a chain type cutter I rented from autozone that was dull and wasnt working at all besides making dents. Got a new blade for my saw and it cut through like butter. I filed it down a little bit but Its not perfect. My goal was to hide the tip so...

Ill see if i can get a pic of it. Thanks for all the positive comments.
Yeah, that's what i meant. I own a celica, and on the celica forums that's what they call it.

Looking good though, great mods all around. I just picked up my '06 on memorial day, and i'm probably going to change to the same air filter.

Are you using the stock battery for now? I'm going to switch mine to the Chimera RBS.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's what i meant. I own a celica, and on the celica forums that's what they call it.

Looking good though, great mods all around. I just picked up my '06 on memorial day, and i'm probably going to change to the same air filter.

Are you using the stock battery for now? I'm going to switch mine to the Chimera RBS.
gotcha. No, it's got some die hard gold battery that the previous owner replaced. Those Chimera batteries look amazing, but $$$ :evil:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I would go with another AGM but this is the 3rd battery I've gone though. After 1.5 years the winter nights get to them, and I live in California!

Chimera is a good solution because it has a very sturdy mounting bracket, and been tested to perform very well. But we'll see real soon when I test and review it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would go with another AGM but this is the 3rd battery I've gone though. After 1.5 years the winter nights get to them, and I live in California!

Chimera is a good solution because it has a very sturdy mounting bracket, and been tested to perform very well. But we'll see real soon when I test and review it.
looking forward to it

I have an optima red top that I have sitting around in case the one in the car goes bad.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Good news. Today I selected my aircraft for my Army career and chose this:

Looks like a good addition to my stable :D

I get about a month break so I may be doing a road trip from Alabama to Chicago/Wisconsin around July 4th to spend some time with family and friends. Let me know if you're up there

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Good new. Today I selected my aircraft for my Army career and chose this:

Looks like a good addition to my stable :D

I get about a month break so I may be doing a road trip from Alabama to Chicago/Wisconsin around July 4th to spend some time with family and friends. Let me know if you're up there
I think they will get along juuuuuuust fine :shift:

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
I just saw this thread. Nice! :up:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
http://youtu.be/4TfFt3y6AkA

A little treat for you guys :)

My friends and I (all of them in the video) went to a local (ghetto as hell!) 1/8th mile. I wasn't planning on running my car but NO ONE was running their drag cars. I know my car is not meant to be a drag car, but people were getting excited for me to run it lol. I was only about .2-3 seconds behind the M5 520hp and the black evo which has 430hp. This is all done on my stock tires with 13k miles on it. I didn't take out the pressure or anything... I simply wanted to see how it did in street form (no burnouts, etc.). Needless to say, i was spinning my tires like crazy at the start even when I wasn't launching it. We did get a lot of rain just prior so the track was slippery still and it wasn't the best prepped track either.

My car comes out starting 1:27.

You can see how loud my decat & quarter stick is... if you were wondering lol.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just found this thread. Progress looks good bro. I went to the 1/8th strip here Friday night but we got there too late and couldn't run. It's gonna look great with those CF parts

1 - 20 of 31 Posts