The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night (New Year's eve), I drove my '06 Elise to a party and back. There wasn't much snow/ice and the car did fine on my street. However, when I hit a more major local street, it started slipping and sliding. :eek: No problem - my Datsun 510 did that in 1996 - ; I just accepted that the car would be in one continuous skid from the first snowfall to the last. Elise did fine on the highway and local roads in New Hyde Park but, the parking lot was a disaster. I think it was about 20 degrees F. We're talking about skidding on roads that have no accumulation of snow or ice but maybe the roads themselves are frozen.

So my questions are - is this skidding typical for Yokohama Advan Neova AD07tires? Are there other tires more suitable for winter driving? This is my daily driver and I drive on local roads and highways. The car has about 7,000 miles on it. It as original tires except one rear tire was replaced with a new one when it got flat.

·
Registered
780 Posts
use the recommended winter tires. Should be in your manual . Pirelli snowsport. If you need the sizes let me know.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 is "Extreme Performance Summer tire" according to Yokohama.

I have A048s on mine and wouldn't even drive it in rain...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
What else do you expect from ultra high performance summer tires?! If you're going to drive them in the cold, get tires designed for that, either all season or the dedicated Pirelli winter tires that are recommended in the manual.

Also, keep in mind that those tires should not even be stored below 14F, let alone DRIVEN on at those temperatures. Taking the out in 20F weather is really pushing your luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 is "Extreme Performance Summer tire" according to Yokohama.

I have A048s on mine and wouldn't even drive it in rain...
I had no noticeable issues driving on my A048's in the rain. I haven't driven them in temp below 30F, but I drove all week long in 30F-40F weather and it was fine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have driven on the AD07's with temperatures in the 20's on DRY roads and there is noticeable lack of grip on hard cornering. They are mediocre at best on damp roads and hydroplane very badly with small amounts of standing water (and that's in warm weather.) I haven't tried them on snow but believe they would be downright dangerous. If you're going to drive your Elise in the snow, get REAL snow tires. The manual recommends Pirelli's but I have had uniformly bad experiences with their all season and performance tires. The BEST snow tires I have used are Bridgestone BLizzaks. Second best : Michelin Arctic Alpins. I haven't owned a set but the Nokia's have an excellent reputation among the ice autocrossers up here in "da Nort Woods." The problem may be size availability for the Elise. Remember that with true snow tires, a slightly narrower tire is acceptable and may work better than the standard size. I applaud you for using your Elise in the snow...personally , I wouldn't want road salt setting up electrolytic corrosion between the aluminum panels and steel fasteners.... Dave

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I need the size and model for Pirelli snowsport, Bridgestone BLizzaks, Michelin Arctic Alpins (Alpine?) and Nokia. Do I get four tires or two?

I didn't have any trouble last winter. ???

·
Registered
782 Posts
Snowtire sizes should be in the owner's manual. You should consider a second set of wheels to mount them on. Stock wheels (used) are frequently seen on this site as people are upgrading to wider wheels for track use. NEVER mount snow tires on only two wheels, only very bad things will happen (like having rear wheel traction but no ability to steer or massive oversteer on low traction surfaces.) Four wheel modern snow tires perform incredibly well and people who have never driven with them can't believe the difference in driveability. The Elise will still be hampered by lack of ground clearance (and no bumpers.)

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Yes, I need the size and model for Pirelli snowsport, Bridgestone BLizzaks, Michelin Arctic Alpins (Alpine?) and Nokia. Do I get four tires or two?

I didn't have any trouble last winter. ???

I went, as did others here, with Kumho Ecsta ASX; 195/50-16 (rim width range = 5.5 to 7.0") and 225/45-17 (7" to 8.5") on Sport Pack (?) wheels which may be larger than yours. Width range as per tire rack.

I see no need for snow tires myself, all-seasons are fine for me; rarely in much snow and didn't want handling compromise of true winter tires. Where we live there are few days when roads are actually covered with significant snow due to good, timely plowing.

good luck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do I get four tires or two?
Get 2 if you wanna be able to go straight. Get 4 if you want to be able to go straight and turn! Seriously though... Any decent winter tire will be vastly superior on the white fluffy stuff than the extreme summer rubber you're on.

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
Get 2 if you wanna be able to go straight. Get 4 if you want to be able to go straight and turn! Seriously though... Any decent winter tire will be vastly superior on the white fluffy stuff than the extreme summer rubber you're on.
rotflrotfl well put

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
Do you have room for a beater car?

Buying a whole new set of tires for the Lotus is probably 30-50% of the cost of another car more suited for that type of weather :p

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had no noticeable issues driving on my A048's in the rain. I haven't driven them in temp below 30F, but I drove all week long in 30F-40F weather and it was fine.
I've also driven my A048's in the rain a lot. They manage just fine. It takes effort to test the car's limits in the rain, if you're not an idiot you will be fine with A048s.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I run on Direzza DZ101's which shouldn't even be driven in freezing temps.. I have no problem on snow or icy roads tho. I've got studded on my beater, and it's not that much of a difference unless you want it to be. :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
I find the previous post most interesting, especially because the poster mentions the use of "studded" tires (he posts from Norway.) Metal studded tires were banned for road use (at least in the midwestern states) 30 years ago because of the damage and excess wear they produced on paved surfaces. They were excellent for straight line traction and braking but the rubber compounds in use at the time still left something to be desired for cornering. I live in an area where the roads are snow and ice covered for 5 months of the year and have lived in such an area for most of my 59 years. I have been interested in rallying and motorsport since high school and have run winter rallys and ice trials for 40 years. I use studless dedicated snow tires on all my winter vehicles as the differences in braking and cornering even at the lowest speeds and the increase in safety are so apparent that even novice driver's like my 16 year old niece remark on the difference. The original poster on this thread was from New York and weather and road conditions vary by a great deal in different areas of the state. If there is little snow accumulation and immediate road clearing in the poster's immediate local, he might be able to "get by" with all season tires. He is still driving a very light vehicle with little polar moment of inertia and a marked tendency for the rear end to break loose in low traction situations. As we all know, even minor "bumps" result in very large repair bills with the Elise. Seems silly to me to buy all weather tires on a new set of wheels with only minor improvement in braking and cornering when you can have marked improvement for the same money. As to loss of performance with dedicated snow tires, I hope no one is going to test their limits on public roads in winter driving conditions. Surely, if you do, "...you're gonna die!!"
....Dave

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The original poster on this thread was from New York and weather and road conditions vary by a great deal in different areas of the state. If there is little snow accumulation and immediate road clearing in the poster's immediate local, he might be able to "get by" with all season tires. He is still driving a very light vehicle with little polar moment of inertia and a marked tendency for the rear end to break loose in low traction situations. As we all know, even minor "bumps" result in very large repair bills with the Elise. Seems silly to me to buy all weather tires on a new set of wheels with only minor improvement in braking and cornering when you can have marked improvement for the same money. As to loss of performance with dedicated snow tires, I hope no one is going to test their limits on public roads in winter driving conditions. Surely, if you do, "...you're gonna die!!"
....Dave
I am the original poster. I live in one of the outlying boroughs of New York City. My Elise has the touring pack but not the sports pack. As I understand the posts, the original AD07s are not suitable for weather in the 20s especially when there might be some snow and ice on the roads. Even more, I should store the tires in a warm place until the weather warms up. The consensus suggests I need different tires - either all weather or snow.

I'm used to cars whose tires last 40,000 or so miles, so this is all new to me.

Winters in New York are generally mild. I have a beater - a 1993 front wheel drive Geo Prizm. I use it mostly for grocery shopping. I want to use the Elise as much as possible, so it sounds like I should get another set of tires and have them mounted during the winter, at least until the AD07s wear out.

BTW, when I transport the extra tires, where do I put them? Do they fit on the passenger side?

I know that the user's manual lists Pirelli 210 and 240 Snowsport, 195/50R16 and 215/45 R17 as winter tires. Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much consensus on Elise Talk about all season or winter tires. Mentioned are: Bridgestone BLizzaks; Michelin Arctic Alpins; Nokia's; Kumho Ecsta ASX; 195/50-16 (rim width range = 5.5 to 7.0") and 225/45-17 (7" to 8.5") on Sport Pack (?) wheels. For an additional $1,000 investment in my $50,000 car, I'd like to be a little more sure. Maybe I should take a poll.

More help on selecting the tire, please.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Your spare wheels and tires will NOT fit on the passenger seat (at least not all four at once...Maybe two.) In this area, most tire shops that sell winter/ snow tires will store the tire set not being used for little or no charge and then charge a minimal fee to switch over in the spring and fall. I change mine over myself but I have a large shop with a hoist and compressed air (as well as in floor heat.) If you are not going to drive in ice and snow but restrict your winter driving to cleared roads and low temperature, any tire rated as "all season" will be adequate and I suggest consulting a local tire shop that might store your unused wheel/tire combination for their available options. I believe (though I haven't gone to Tire Rack and checked) that Kumho, Dunlop, and Yokohama have all seasons that fit. Again, I personally feel you will be making a mistake with these IF you plan to drive on ice and snow. Why not just drive the beater on those days if they are relatively infrequent, get all weathers to avoid the temperature effect on the AD07's, and keep the salt off the poor Elise....dAve

·
Premium Member
12,165 Posts
this is perfect time to get an extra 4 wheels and mount all-seasons, assuming you can store the summer tires and change wheel/tires yourself. Oh, and you get to buy a torque wrench!

Some of us drive yr-round and can get caught out. I bought Salt-away to spray underside (with lawn sprinkler) if I go thru wet salt water on road.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have driven on the AD07's with temperatures in the 20's on DRY roads and there is noticeable lack of grip on hard cornering. They are mediocre at best on damp roads and hydroplane very badly with small amounts of standing water (and that's in warm weather.)
I think the danger of hydroplaning is not due to the tires, but more due to the nature of driving a very lightweight car at high speed.

From my own limited experience in the rain in AD07's, and from what i've read from others, is that they're perfectly fine and have adequate traction in the rain when driven at a safe speed.
- it's the A048's that would make me worry if I had the and it started to rain.

But then there' some video's out there showing guys racing in them .. in the rain!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts