The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be there (if their website ever lets me register) anyone else?

I figure even though it's one of their driving events and not one of their racing events it'll still be worthwhile.

Anyone participated in one before?

·
Registered
685 Posts
give a call to the 1-800 #...

i've coached this course since its inception here at Laguna Seca a few years ago and I believe you will find it beneficial in both your street driving and track driving!!!

have fun!

let me know if you have any questions..

robbie

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Is that the 2 day ultra high performance driving class? I took that one at Lime Rock a few years ago...was fun...they were using vipers and neons then - dont know what they are using these days....

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is that the 2 day ultra high performance driving class? I took that one at Lime Rock a few years ago...was fun...they were using vipers and neons then - dont know what they are using these days....
i believe he is taking our new High Performance Driving School which is similar to the old Ultra HP, but we do laps on the track in both the 1-day and 2-day course. However, we don't have Vipers anymore since we are now sponsored by Mazda. But our HP cars are all Porsches, BMWs, etc...

if not, its just our regular Mazda Driving School where you learn the same stuff but no track time...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the regular driving course, I'm working or on vacation on all the days that aren't full for the HP one.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I did the 2 day one back in 01 with the Viper's. It was very enlightening and I went an bought an 01 Viper then after. Drifting on the wet track in a four door truck with the rest of the class in the truck is pretty cool. Definately made it easier controling when you kick the back end out.

yeah call them you can probably talk a discount out of them.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am going to be a hater and state that I did the Skip Barber two day HP driving course at Laguna in 2006 and was very disappointed.

The problem for me was that there was not nearly enough behind the wheel time for the price. I paid $2800 for the course and likely did not spend more than 3 hours actually driving a car during the two day course.

The instructors were cool and the actual drills performed and techniques learned were worthwhile, but the course was no where near worth the price. I could have done several track days for what I spent on the course and developed more skills in the process.

Also, don't spend the $200 to reduce your insurance deductible on their cars. The on-track driving is always behind an instructor that is going at about 80% of a fast pace. There is no way you will wreck one of their cars.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am going to be a hater and state that I did the Skip Barber two day HP driving course at Laguna in 2006 and was very disappointed.

The problem for me was that there was not nearly enough behind the wheel time for the price. I paid $2800 for the course and likely did not spend more than 3 hours actually driving a car during the two day course.

The instructors were cool and the actual drills performed and techniques learned were worthwhile, but the course was no where near worth the price. I could have done several track days for what I spent on the course and developed more skills in the process.

Also, don't spend the $200 to reduce your insurance deductible on their cars. The on-track driving is always behind an instructor that is going at about 80% of a fast pace. There is no way you will wreck one of their cars.
deedie - sorry to hear that you didn't feel it was worth it... however, i do feel a driver will learn more about the fundamentals of driving/racing at a skippy course than just driving around in HPDE's (even w/ the help of the clubs "instructors"). i think we provide better structure, exercises to show/teach you the fundamentals, a taste of track driving, and coaches who are better qualified to teach a driver these techniques.

for example, if you were to hire a pro driver coach (using myself as an example), you would pay for the HPDE (@ MRLS about $400 per day = 2 day @ $800) + my coaching rate ($1000 a day x 2 = $2000), which would be close to or more expensive than the other option. The only problem is that we wouldn't be able to practice all the same exercises that you could in a Skippy course, which I feel is extremely valuable, and you have to use your own car/tires/gas/etc...

also, since i've worked a lot of HP programs at MRLS, i have seen cars crash on track and feel $200 is a lot better than $2000 if you just tear up the front bumper and fender of a 911. i've also seen a boxter that got totaled in the parking lot during a braking exercise!

edit: since LotinElite is just taking the regular Mazda School, the deductible doesn't really apply...

just my .02 :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

The on-track driving is always behind an instructor that is going at about 80% of a fast pace. There is no way you will wreck one of their cars.
sounds about right, lots of classroom instruction up front. Running the cars at well under 100%. Go on to an advanced course or do lapping days if you want more seat time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
back in 01 it cost $1200 and we drove as much or more than we were in the classroom. Thanks for letting me know it changed since I was about to send my wife.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've done the 2-day HP, Advanced Car Control, and both racing courses. Wickedly expensive, but the instruction is top rate (or so it appears to me), and by the time you get to Advanced Racing, you'll get more driving time than you probably want :crazyeyes. I always come away from those courses wanting more. Lime Rock is tough little course: I watched one guy walk away w/$2k due for damage to his car, another for the full $5500. liability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts