The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been posted on the oil line recall but I have not found suggestions on what to do if you skip it. As I am 150 miles from the nearest dealer, I am tempted to not get it done. What should I check for to make sure my car is OK? Is skipping having it checked out a bad idea?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If the dealer was that close to me I would have done it on day #2 of owning my car. Nearest dealer is about 3000 miles in Washington.

Tried to get the parts for free and having an independent shop that works on these types of cars do it but in the end Lotus said tough crap, either bring it to a dealer or pay for it yourself.

Even with looking at the lines and coolers from end to end I never felt 100% about it. The ~$425 for a better rear mount cooler and new lines from BOE was worth it.

AND even still with all looking ok, I had been getting wiffs of oil not and then. I was very lucky the cooler let go when it was idling at my mailbox. I had driven the car down to the box (about 1/2 mile), hopped out and while grabbing the mail I saw it was leaking oil on the ground. Had it happened on the road, motor may not have survived. Or worse yet on the track and slicked down the tires and track, could have went off course and who knows how that would have worked out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Is there actually a recall campaign or has Lotus only said they intend to recall once a suitable repair has been determined?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I have been told many different stories on it, not sure which is true.

The latest one I was told by Lotus is the recall was cancelled because it turned out to not be a fix and they are working on another fix. BUT everytime I called I got a different person and it was never the same story.

One guy told me that I could have the work done and they would cover it, just needed to be a legit shop and not Bubba's backyard garage. Then after that I was told no ifs ands or buts, either done by a Lotus dealer or they won't cover it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I just went ahead and took it out of the loop. Seems to be overkill for my use and its one less <big> thing to fail.

I also didn't think Lotus actually had any pre-emptive solution to this out side of it being "warranty" work if it failed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The solution is simple: replace the lines and re-crimp. Using high numbers we're looking at 3,000 cars and $1,000 per car you need $3 million to complete the recall campaign. The company is clearly upside down running on credit from a number of banks in Asia so my educated guess is they can't write the cheque at this time.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have taken the opportunity to go with a single rear mounted Setrab cooler and better fittings than stock

·
Registered
708 Posts
Look at the engine lubrication section here. There are various solutions depending on what you want to do.

Replace the lines
Go to a rear oil cooler with new lines
Delete the cooler and sandwich adapter with the $13 adapter piece from Toyota.
Remove the thermostat control and block the oil lines at the sandwich
Loop the lines at the cooler

I went with the cooler delete with the Toyota adapter piece so the sandwich goes away and the engine is now like any Celica/MR2 without a cooler. It's a very clean, clear fix for very little money and even if you don't do the work yourself, labor shouldn't be more than an hour. Heck....I could do it in an hour (I have a lift....which is a huge help) and I'm not a mechanic.

Ignoring this problem could result in a lunched engine. If Lotus has to continue paying for engine replacements, their ability to pay for oil lines certainly isn't going to be as likely.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Like many people, I am not ignoring the recall, it just hasn't really happened wholesale yet. For the time being, I am monitoring the connections and keeping an eye out for the oil light to suddenly come on. Other owners have stated Lotus will fix it if it fails, but it is tough to convince Lotus to fix it before it fails.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it sucks because there is a possibility that it won't get done at all because of the money situation at the company. So you end up with people waiting for nothing as there engines blow. Worst case scenario i know but i try and plan for the worst, hope for the best, expect something in between the two. I had to keep a cooler i felt because of the supercharger, but i can see the best fix, most reliable and cheapest fix, being the total delete for the street cars. The track guys are in real danger unless they want to pony up the bucks. At this point , with what we've seen, you only have yourself to blame if they blow. Harsh, I know, but think about it. Pretty sure BOE will sell the coolers and lines to folks that need it.

But even worse is you have to skip it anyway , because their fix fails too occasionally. So even if you did drive the impossible 150 miles, you'ld get another time bomb for your trouble. So what do you do if you really really don't want to go thru this? You leave Lotus out of it. Then you pay someone else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went to my dealer and they said the recall hasnt started yet so they wont do anything. so its pretty much wait unil the engine blows and then they will replace it.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
1. I don't think we needed a 6th thread on this.

2. OP: Failure could result in: Ruined engine, accident from spinning in your own oil, someone else's accident because of your oil.

Being stranded far from home.

3. I would not, and did not, ignore the issue.

Often there is no prior notice, the oil just spurts all over.

(I wonder if pulling on the line at each fitting would alert one to a soon-to-fail crimp....when the line pulls out in your hand.)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Like many people, I am not ignoring the recall, it just hasn't really happened wholesale yet. For the time being, I am monitoring the connections and keeping an eye out for the oil light to suddenly come on. Other owners have stated Lotus will fix it if it fails, but it is tough to convince Lotus to fix it before it fails.
That's where I'm at.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts