gate linkage on my shifter.So I came up with a solution
that takes all the play out on the gearbox side.I also
reduced the throw by 10% and reduced the friction where
the arm engages (slides)the transmission shaft. Reducing
friction is done with nylatron GS,it's infused with molybdenum
disulfide making it self lubricating with a very low coefficient
of friction.It bolts to the stock shifter base so no need to remove
the clam.It was a really big improvement so I thought I would
share this.Anyone who is interested I will send you the drawings.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
If you are willing to make another one (complete as shown) I’ll buy it from you. Let me know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow! That looks great! I would also be interested in one of these if you decided to make more.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That looks great! I would also be interested in one of these if you decided to make more.
I did make spares but I don’t think I’m
Allowed to sell on this site.I enjoy this
Forum a lot and don’t want to get thrown
Out.I posted this hoping someone out
there had a machine shop and would
Make a bunch. I would be willing to send
them the files.It’s easy to make when you
Have the G code. I also made a improved
Version of the Stans mod that makes the
Stock shifter very rigid.There is nothing wrong with the stock shifter once it’s
Firmly bolted to the floor.Will post it soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm curious as to what you attribute the improvement - reduction of play in the slot of the inertia weight or the 10% throw reduction? I found a huge improvement on my '07 by disassembling the stock linkage, cleaning all the bearing points, polishing the rust from the slot in the weight, and greasing everything before reassembling. MUCH smoother and easier shifting.

Beautiful part by the way!!!

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I did make spares but I don’t think I’m
Allowed to sell on this site.I enjoy this
Forum a lot and don’t want to get thrown
Out.I posted this hoping someone out
there had a machine shop and would
Make a bunch. I would be willing to send
them the files.It’s easy to make when you
Have the G code. I also made a improved
Version of the Stans mod that makes the
Stock shifter very rigid.There is nothing wrong with the stock shifter once it’s
Firmly bolted to the floor.Will post it soon.
Selling parts like this tends to be tolerated since it isn't like you're trying to run a business.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Wow, very nice part indeed. Do you have a picture of it installed? I would definitely buy one of these.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm curious as to what you attribute the improvement - reduction of play in the slot of the inertia weight or the 10% throw reduction? I found a huge improvement on my '07 by disassembling the stock linkage, cleaning all the bearing points, polishing the rust from the slot in the weight, and greasing everything before reassembling. MUCH smoother and easier shifting.

Beautiful part by the way!!!
Yes cleaning and greasing will improve things but it's a dirty environment so not a permanent fix.
I achieved the throw reduction by decreasing the length of the lever arm on the cable side.I made
pivot bushings with less clearance than the stock bushings.Then I made the pin that engages the
transmission larger so it has .002" clearance max.Then I used a heim joint in double shear and on centerline
on the pivot point so it would be stronger and not produce any side loads.Since nylatron gs is self
lubricating it's assembled dry and will stay clean.I cut off that stupid bob weight(saves 1#) it's stupid
and can cut your hoses if they sag.Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Selling parts like this tends to be tolerated since it isn't like you're trying to run a business.
If San says there is an acceptable way to sell these I will do so_Otherwise you will have to catch
me a track day.I run Thomson and Palmer.Does anybody know when the season will start?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
If San says there is an acceptable way to sell these I will do so_Otherwise you will have to catch
me a track day.I run Thomson and Palmer.Does anybody know when the season will start?
We need this part! I would place this piece in the essential category ;-)

·
Registered
526 Posts
I want one too but would like to know how this compares to the LETSLA and what the LETSLA does that this does not or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
I’d be interested as well in knowing the differences and the improved Stans mod you had mentioned

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want one too but would like to know how this compares to the LETSLA and what the LETSLA does that this does not or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't want to comment on someone else's product.I described what I did and why so I'm not sure what else to
say.When you're going through the gears you're moving the transmission shaft in and out and rotating it.There
should not be metal to metal contact.That is why I used Nylotron GS.This is the only way to do this.I listed
the exact material so other people could copy it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’d be interested as well in knowing the differences and the improved Stans mod you had mentioned
So I copied Stan's mod and it was better but my shifter still moved side to side.
This bugs me so I made one that takes all the flex out.It's easy to make so I will
give the drawing/cad file/cnc program to anyone who wants one.Here is a pic
IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4390.jpeg IMG_4394.jpeg
IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4394.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here is a top view.The bolt on the left(Stan's mod)goes into an existing threaded insert
in the floor.The other bolt ties the right side of shifter to the aluminum block my son
made.I design these parts and pick the materials then my son does the rest.On the
shift lever he ran corner rounding end mills on every surface.so it has no sharp edges.
We manufacture military hardware so we get a little carried away sometimes.
IMG_4389 2.jpeg

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
Sorry, but I'm just now seeing this. In the future, mention me (@oldmansan) or PM me.

There are a couple of ways to do this and I'd like to discuss them with you if you'd like. I'll message you my number.

San

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have been bothered by the excessive play inn the cross
gate linkage on my shifter.So I came up with a solution
that takes all the play out on the gearbox side.I also
reduced the throw by 10% and reduced the friction where
the arm engages (slides)the transmission shaft. Reducing
friction is done with nylatron GS,it's infused with molybdenum
disulfide making it self lubricating with a very low coefficient
of friction.It bolts to the stock shifter base so no need to remove
the clam.It was a really big improvement so I thought I would
share this.Anyone who is interested I will send you the drawings.
Nice work mate!!!!

i just replaced the plastic bushes and glide piece, even this improved the shifter feeling by 100%
posted it on seloc: SELOC Forums

i figured out there's some play in the red marked bush.
Part nr 29 is the plastic bush inside there.

I'm just not sure how to replace it, do you think it's replacable at all, looks quite complicated to get it out...

Source: https://www.lotus-forum.de/WBB/index.php?thread/19945-lotus-elise-auf-offenen-schaltkulisse-umrüsten/&pageNo=2

Source: https://www.deroure.com/images/diagrams/11/47_05.gif

1 - 20 of 74 Posts