The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

For quite some time I've felt that gear changes in my Exige 260 feel a bit sloppy. I see that both Sector111 and BWR have solutions to address this:

re-ENFORCER - Shift reinforcement for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

SSC Improved Lotus Gear Shift cable

There is quite a big price difference between both solutions. Has anyone had experience with either (or both) of these (or other) solutions? How do they compare? Is the BWR solution worth the extra cost?

Any and all advice much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I recall someone talking about how 2008+ models come with shifters reinforced from the factory...
Also, some have said the engine mounts help.

I haven't implemented any of those since I haven't felt anything particularly wrong with the shifter, so take my opinion and hearsay with a truck load of salt.

..and there is some discussion on a replacement shifter being developed in the other part of the forum. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f163/new-shifter-242681/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Scott. I was not aware that 2008+ might have their shifters reinforced from the factory. I'll have to look more into it. K-tuned unit looks great. I wonder how it would compare to the Sector111 and BWR solutions.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
There is quite a big price difference between both solutions.
Well, the two products you mention are designed to address completely different problems. I have a home-brew version of the Sector shifter frame support and it makes a real difference.

The SSC cables are upgraded, longer lasting replacements of the stock cables. My stock shifter cable broke and I replaced it with the SSC, but kept the stock cross-gate cable.

Another product you might look at is the LETSLA shifter linkage. This is an upgrade to the linkage at the transmission end of things. I recommend it. One nice feature is that you can adjust the throw of the shift lever in both the shift and cross-gate movements.
Trueleo Lotus Products

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The LETSLA is highly debated here.

Another option is the Jim Clayton Big Ball. While it doesn't necessarily change the 'sloppiness', it definitely changes the feel. I would try that.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
The LETSLA is highly debated here.

Another option is the Jim Clayton Big Ball. While it doesn't necessarily change the 'sloppiness', it definitely changes the feel. I would try that.
Most experiencing issues with the LETSLA, especially the later improved versions, ultimately can attribute the problems to adjustment. I found that adjusting at both the shifter and back at the trans to be a hit/miss/tedious process, but ultimately when I got it right it was a big improvement over stock.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yeah, not sure what model years were affected but Lotus definitely did an upgrade there at some point. My 07 Exige was a little sloppy when I first picked it up - the brackets which hold the mechanism in place (in the cabin) were not the sturdiest. A couple years down the road I had the vehicle in the shop for another issue, and they switched out the shifting mechanism and the cables. They did this own their own initiative (Lotus covered the cost). The replaced mechanism/cables were a big improvement over original.

What year is your car fonzi?

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Better cables, rose joints and stiffening-up the shifter box in the cockpit can all help. Motor mounts can also aide by preventing excessive tranny/motor movement which interferes with shifting when pulling some "Gs".

Short shift kits can cause more harm than good, IMHO. Syncros are already a weak link -- speeding up shifting can exacerbate the situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
With all of these different solutions to clean up shifter feel, I'm starting to wonder if anyone actually knows what the problem is.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
With all of these different solutions to clean up shifter feel, I'm starting to wonder if anyone actually knows what the problem is.

Ageshelin summed it up well - pretty much everything has room for improvement. It seems like all the aftermarket solutions help each area of slop

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have an '07 and the only change I made was to go LETSLA and make sure you install the shifter stiffener that MWR sells, too. That was enough for me to get my shifts feeling very good overall. I also got stiffer motor mounts.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,608 Posts
When I got my 07 Exige S I was afraid the entire shift mechanism had potential to simply break off like a twig. The flex and movement was unlike anything I have ever experienced.

This is what I have done :

Stiffer motor mounts were already in my car when I bought it.

Sector 111 shift reinforcer with "stan's mod"
( you will need to look this one up. Between these two mods the flex of the shifting mechanism is gone. All gone.

SSC shift cable
Just seems there is less resistance to shifting

Jim C Big shift ball
No idea if this made a difference myself ? Maybe helps shifting with a little bit more authority if that makes sence ?

GM synchromesh with RT90
I have replaced this x2 since I had had car. It got the stinky dino oil out. It def seemed to absolutly remove the synchro stickyness. So yes with this stuff you can shift faster with no catches.

I have not gone down the LETSA road. Honestly I don't see the need at this point. The difference after all these Modification is night and day. What I mean to say it shifts, fast, smooth with no flex or resistance like you would expect. It certainly was "go-cart" like before...

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
Stans shifter mod is cheap and takes out the mushiness of the shifter:

Sands Museum

·
Registered
760 Posts
When I got my 07 Exige S I was afraid the entire shift mechanism had potential to simply break off like a twig. The flex and movement was unlike anything I have ever experienced.
Same issue with my 07 coming from an 05 Elise. I thought the Elise was bad until I drove and eventually owned my 07 S. Feels like its ready to snap it has so much free play.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,608 Posts
I am sure someone would say I am exaggerating, but I could not drive the car spirited with any confidence.

I just was afraid I would money shift, or grind gears or embarrass myself because there was little predictability in the action.

Now I know exactly what is going on and where the gears are, no supercomputing high anxiety algerbra necessary...

It's tough enough feeling like you have to tiptoe through the gears with all the slop and flex cause your afraid your going to break the shifter.

Someone actually did have their mechanism fail and posted a image. It was not cool OEM for certain

I did not know it is especially bad in the 07 builds compared to other years:tadts:

·
Registered
972 Posts
FWIW I did the shifter cable upgrade from stock + innovative motor mounts (front and back) + RE-inforcer kit within two months of each other awhile back. Shifting is far from perfect but definitely much improved. Also, ask Andy (Good2Go), I've driven his car once and he has the heavy shift knob + LETSLA and it's amazing. I think as others mentioned, the key to the LETSLA is the setup - when done right it's glorious.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
FWIW I did the shifter cable upgrade from stock + innovative motor mounts (front and back) + RE-inforcer kit within two months of each other awhile back. Shifting is far from perfect but definitely much improved. Also, ask Andy (Good2Go), I've driven his car once and he has the heavy shift knob + LETSLA and it's amazing. I think as others mentioned, the key to the LETSLA is the setup - when done right it's glorious.
Thanks, Rich, yeah, I did almost everything short of changing shifter cable (considered SSC cable):

- LETSLA kit - perfectly adjusted to short shift by Harix - quick/responsive
- Reinforced shifting console - sturdy
- Heavy shift knob - more weight/smoother shifting
- Clutch back stopper- Manly engine/motor mount - front and back - quicker clutch/gear change
- Manly motor mounts - front and back - more engine response

The shifting is more precise/mechanical with little play and greatly improved response/acceleration. Tremendous improvement and way more kicks than when I first bought the Elise, 05'. Anyone local Lotus owners are welcome to test drive my N.A. ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, thanks for all the feedback everyone. There are quite a few more solutions to this problem than I originally thought. ;) Now to make one (or more) choice(s)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts