The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the last few months that the 2nd cam doesn't have the "kick" that it had a year ago. My Elise ('05) seems to be as fast, the engine runs fine, I replaced the air filter recently, but the 2nd cam doesn't have a big difference as before. I can feel the second cam at about 6.8K, but it it doesn't "kick" much. Is it wear (The Elise has 32,000 miles)? Does anyone notice this in your Elise?

--Hal

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I have that problem, though in my case I think it was caused by moving from sea level to 8500'. ;)

You say you replaced the air filter recently, did you first notice this problem before or after you did that? Did you replace it with one of identical specification? Is it an oiled filter or dry (if oiled, perhaps your MAF sensor is dirty)? Do you hear any ticking at idle, as if the valves needed adjusting (a possible sign of excessive cam lobe wear)?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I sure hope it is not wear....

Did lose the kick over time, or was it just gone one day?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "problem" was before replacing the air filter. The old filter was the OEM (dry) and the new air filter is the same. There is no change of valves noise and Carl checked for cam wear last November. There was NO appreciatable wear, actually the cam surfaces looked brand new! Nothing was changed.

I do not use the 2nd cam a lot, so maybe I should use the 2nd cam more often.

--Hal

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Shouldn't the second cam come on at 6200? Why are you noticing it at 6800?

xtn

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you are correct. It comes on at 6200rpm. My tach is off most of the time and the idle reading is about 1500RPM. I reset the tach and it drops to the normal idle reading.

I talked to another Elise '05 owner and he is experienceing the same thing at 10,000 miles! He thought it was imagining it! :eek:

Replacing the spark plugs is the next step.

--Hal

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I am at 12,500 miles and my cam kick in actually seems stronger than when new, and also the overall tone of the exhaust has gotten a lot bassier

·
Registered
539 Posts
hmm, my cam kick in is also around 6800 rpms.

I don't know if its a tach issue since the rpm reading at idle seems to be normal.

I think i've read a few other people (besides MattG) having this issue. I'm going to do a search on that.

In the meantime, I'm curious to hear if the new spark plugs fixes your issue, Hal?

I think I may have experienced a sluggish kick in also. ( but i just kind of assumed it had to do with the engine temperature. ) I'll have really pay attention to that next time i'm driving. To see if I imagined it, or if its an issue with my car also.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
butt dyno recalibration? :clap:
I think this is possible.
Perhaps we just get usedto the "kick" and don't notice it as much.

I found that after my first track day I almost stopped noticing the switch - and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Octane? Nah...I always use the best premium (Chevron Supreme). It seems to creep on you slowly. I tried to search, but couldn't find it. Maybe I'm searching with the wrong words.:confused:

I hope it's not cam wear. We removed the VC two months ago and we documented and photographed the cam surfaces, inspecting for wear and found no wear that we could detect. We were looking for the same cam problem that INSANE had leading to the rocker arm breakage. Looking at the exposed cams, we were surprised that the cam surfaces were almost new looking!

The 2nd cam "kick" is not a instantaneous problem. It's a slow progression down into oblivion.:sad: Or maybe it blends the acceleration that mimics the Exige S smooth acceleration!:D

Whatever it is, I'd like to know what's going on! --Hal

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Octane? Nah...I always use the best premium (Chevron Supreme). It seems to creep on you slowly. I tried to search, but couldn't find it. Maybe I'm searching with the wrong words.:confused:

I hope it's not cam wear. We removed the VC two months ago and we documented and photographed the cam surfaces, inspecting for wear and found no wear that we could detect. We were looking for the same cam problem that INSANE had leading to the rocker arm breakage. Looking at the exposed cams, we were surprised that the cam surfaces were almost new looking!

The 2nd cam "kick" is not a instantaneous problem. It's a slow progression down into oblivion.:sad: Or maybe it blends the acceleration that mimics the Exige S smooth acceleration!:D

Whatever it is, I'd like to know what's going on! --Hal
Any new heavy stuff in your trunk?

The car acts weird when it's overloaded!

Empty the trunk and try it...:up:

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I recommend timing one's car and keeping the record, so one can retime and see if there is actually any loss/gain.

I used 3500 RPM to shift light, in 3rd gear which is long enough to reasonably accurately time. Obviously, shifting is out for this test, to keep variables to a minimum.

Fully warmed up, can't remember how much gas.

B4 PES chip 9.27 seconds; after, 8.24, slightly curved and mildly uphill.

(BTW, 07 Exige S: a full second quicker).

Anyway...now I can roughly see how my car might be affected.

As Zammy says, "butt dynos" are unreliable. Sound alone can fool us, i.e. everyone thinks their exhaust system made the car faster; rarely true here.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any new heavy stuff in your trunk?

The car acts weird when it's overloaded!

Empty the trunk and try it...:up:
Larry,

My Elise trunk is empty. I disposed the dead body that was in the trunk when I bought the car.

--Hal

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine seams sluggish sometimes but octane booster helps my car alot. Might be the oxigenated fuel during the winter? It could also be a combination of octane and spark plugs.
Anyway @ 23k miles it still kicks in especially on the on-ramps. Your butt dyno might be off too so if you could watch you tach when driving you should see the perf-cams kicking in.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Take a look at your MAF sensor attached to your airbox....I am almost willing to bet that it is dirty. There is a spray product at most car parts stores called MAF cleaner. Spray it a few times and watch the grime melt away. Mine was filthy black on the intake side of the sensor and my car has less than 9k miles.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts