The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with one should check this, I will add pics and Video when they get to me.
On my warm up lap at Sebring yesterday I went through the hairpin and felt a slight hesitation and got on the gas and was accelerating and something just felt wrong,I thought I grabbed the wrong gear and even took it out of gear and grabbed fourth again - A few seconds later my passenger and myself started to smell fuel and at first thought it must be the car in front of me but thank God common sense took over and I realized it was me and killed the ignition and took the car off track.
Once the session ended the rescue crew allowed me to jump back over the wall and my buddy James started my car with rescue personnel and me looking for something obvious and as soon as the car turned over Fuel was pouring out of the fuel rail.
The rail has two mounting tabs and under each mounting tab are two allen screws that hold the tab to the rail which holds the injectors in place, Both screws on one tab were gone and the other tab screws were hand tight, The rail simply lifted off the injectors and the o-rings under the pressure and dumped fuel - alot of it! I got lucky - No engine damage and No fire.
My other buddy Josh (Lotushark) ran to Lowes for me while I was instructing and found some new machine screws and bought some Lithium grease for the o-rings and some "RED LOCKTITE" . We got everything back together after lunch just in time for the rain
This is not a slam against Smaay, The Design of the fuel rail is great - It is a failure to properly assemble the rail with a thread locker of some kind on these two mounting tabs!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Nick! Glad you were able to get everything worked out on the fuel rail. Didn't get to say goodbye last weekend in Sebring... but when we left, we noticed you zipping around the track by yourself! Must have been a blast.

Here's a shot of the cylinder & injector involved...

Fuel rail completely unbounded to the mounting bracket as seen in this pic. Notice the two bolts are missing...

After fitting new machine bolts to replace the loose hex-style bolts, & I believe you added sealant...

Close up

If you have this rail, take Nick's advice and replace these bolts immediately. It should only cost you about 10 minutes... could save you few grand

1 - 2 of 2 Posts