The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running the OMP Superquadro that's 320mm and love it - I wouldn't say it's too big but it's definitely not too small either. As it's getting pretty worn (after ~50 track days) it's time to replace it. I'm wondering what the smallest diameter wheel that folks are using and what you think of it?

Not sure if I'll keep my current OMP (may put it in my Lemons racer) but the plan has been to get the same quick connect adapter for the Lemons racer so I can just move the wheel from car to car. I say that as it's possible this new wheel would get use in that car too - although I wouldn't base the decision on that I suppose.

Really liking the Sparco P310 (310mm) - wondering if I could rewire the thumb buttons for my push-to-talk. Also really like the look of the P260 (260mm). Neither list the thickness of the wheel (at least not on Sparco's site) but the 260 looks nice and thick.

Sparco USA

Thoughts? Is it really a personal preference thing? Oh, on my list is also upgrading the steering rack sometime either this or next winter.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
I have a very small AIM Formula wheel with the stock ratio rack. Was worried about it. After a weekend with it, very happy with the combo. Right at home with it in the esses, was able to make the tight turns with ease, and not
Fatigued after 30 minutes as I was worried I might be.....

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the diameter of it Phil?

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

AiM Formula Steering Wheel

video below. driving not great after being in rtmt for a year, but there are two very tight turns on the this track with no problems (only one of the video)....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hello Ross,

I was actually running the exact same OMP SuperQuadro and found it a bit too big for the track as it's actually 330mm wide ... the 320mm accounts for the flat bottom. In any case, I decided to go with the Sparco P300 which is the same wheel in the Cup car (300mm). I feel it's the perfect size and a vast improvement over the OMP in terms of responsiveness. The steering feels much sharper and I seem to get more "feel" from the road as well. It's also relatively cheap for the P300 ($260 here in Canada) and readily available. Hope that helps ...

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/p-300

Cheers,
Zoomby_U

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I have the OMP Trecento in 300mm and also find that size perfect. It comes in black suede with a nice yellow center stripe on the top of the wheel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just sold my Momo Mod 88 (320mm) that was pretty worn out, and was looking primarily at the OMP SuperQuadro but wish it was a bit smaller. Then I came across this, looks like a little over $200 shipped to the US. Anyone have experience with this one? I'm really tempted to buy it.

Any thoughts on a 300mm wheel with a slightly tighter steering ratio? I think mine is 2.4 turns lock to lock.

APS 300mm D Shaped Flat Suede 3 Spoke Steering Wheel

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well, nobody posted a response, so I went ahead and bought it. Grip is much thicker than the Momo Mod 88, plus nearly an inch smaller diameter. I won't have a full review until April when I take the car out of storage, but the grip feels amazing, really excited to try it out. The wheel seems pretty high quality, would definitely recommend.

The only thing I don't like is the horn button. The piece sitting on there is black with a chrome ring (haven't taken off the plastic cover or tape and affixed it yet), I'd much rather have a Lotus emblem. Not worth the $80 to have one I guess, under that piece is just plain black plastic which I'll probably use.

Edit: I'll post a comparison pic to the Momo 88 when I get it installed. Need to find some mounting screws in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
It looks good, I like the alignment ring at the top!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts