The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
They are not "fins." They are decorative plastic applications with only visual appeal. I don't think you would want them removed.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Hmm, they don't show any screws or bolts I wonder how they go in there.

22 Grille, rear transom, RH C117B0134F
23 Grille, rear transom, LH C117B0133F
24 Grille, rear body to diffuser, RH A117B0268F
25 Grille, rear body to diffuser, LH A117B0269F

I added 24 and 25 for those that want to get that KMS exhaust

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
Can you remove them and spray paint them body colour, ala "the center trim thread?" - that would reduce their "stick out" appearance.

Or, if they just pull out perhaps someone can "fiberglass up" solid (thin) replacement pieces, using them as a mold.

What would an Elise look like without them installed? Is the clam painted where it sits. Is it a gaping hole?

Serious questions for serious times ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I was checking my car trying to figure out how to remove those little decorative pieces as well. I still want to coat them with something so I can stop worrying about wax getting on them. The black plastic pieces around the car are a pain to keep clean

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>I was checking my car trying to figure out how to remove those little decorative pieces as well. I still want to coat them with something so I can stop worrying about wax getting on them. The black plastic pieces around the car are a pain to keep clean<<

The Elise is one of those cars best served by the use of nonstaining waxes. Some leave white marks on trim, some don't. P21S / S100 is firmly esconced in the no-stain category.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This is true of P21S/S100, however, it will not stop the wax from accumulating in the more porous or more grainy trim pieces on certain cars. You still have to be a bit careful, but it isn't a bit deal.

Anyway, the Exige appears to have a slightly different rear clam to fill the area without the fake vent. It was originally intended to be functional...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Treat the plastic with something like 303 before you wax, the wax will not stick to it then. It wipes off the plastic.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
How do you put 303 on the plastic pieces without getting it on the paint so that you can still wax the paint?
I know, I know:
very carefully carefully

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Joe Kane, President of Armour which is a paint film supplier/installer told me that Plexus is great for the film. It's a gentle cleaner and it leaves behind some protection sort of like wax. I wonder if this stuff would help with wax stains. I understand that wax stains are when wax penetrates into the pores of the plastic. And that something like 303 will make it look great again but the stains will reappear. The engine cover grills seem to be the hard ones in this regard due to the heat I suppose. So it sounds like we'd really want to use some sort of cleaner to get the wax out of the pores and then a sealer of some kind. Else just yank 'em and paint 'em black.

·
Registered
526 Posts
3+ year bump.:wave:

Has anybody tried to remove these? If so, please tell me how they are attached.

·
Registered
98 Posts
fins

they are glued in, just about have to braek them to get them out. the clam is painted but there are small holes that the fins go in along with the glue to hold them in. i had to replace my rear clam and the fins do not come installed on a new clam, pain in the a__.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...yes, they have been removed, filled, and painted over for a seamless deletion on more than one car - i can't remember which threads off the top of my head, but i've seen a few pictures...

...perhaps someone else can chirp in with a link?..

·
Registered
275 Posts
didn't the san's museum guy do this?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I actually love the fins and wished the EXige had them.

Also maybe if these fins were made functional they would aid in release pressure that accumulates in the rear wheel wells.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has anyone tried just cutting the fins off, so only the swoopy black base remains?

That is, remove the fin piece, dremel the fins off, and re-insert the base. So you'd have a black plastic accent there, but no fins.

·
Registered
739 Posts
SCC in LA did this for me. Removal of the fins, filling of the body lines... In the end the rear clam look awesome. Pm me if you want some pics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts