The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it will be possible to fit smaller diameter wheels to the Federal Elise?

I ran 15" wheels instead of the 16" stock wheels on my Miata for two years because of the better tire selection in the 15" size, not to mention saving a bit of weight.

For instance, someone might want to run the 15"/16" wheel combination from the current Elise with the Yokohama Neova LTS tires that seem to be popular.

Or someone might be crazy enough to want to drive their Elise in the winter. There are only a couple of options that will work in the 16/17 sizes (Blizzak WS-50 and Dunlop Winter Sport M3 run-flat). Being able to use 15" wheels up front would open up the options significantly, and 16" wheels in the rear would bring the price down.

On the Miata, the brakes are the limiting feature. The smallest wheel that can fit a Miata with the 2001+ sport suspension is 15".

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sure, no problem.

You just need to source wheels that fit. Especially the backspacing behind the spokes of the wheel at the front is crucial as the brake calipher is pretty large.

I run my S2 on 15"/16" with winter tyres using the original specification given by Lotus. (185/55R15 front 205/55R16 rear) Worked like a dream last year.

A racing team in Hong Kong is also running 15/16" on their S2 as they can get slicks more easily in those sizes.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great news, as long as Lotus hasn't changed the size of the brake components for the Federal car.

Thanks Arno!

What winter tires do you have? Some nice Nokians?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Using Toyo Snowprox 950's.

Worked fine last year. When a load of snow was dumped on the freeway during my commute to work I had no problem to keep going, while other cars were sliding all over the place around me.

You do have to get used to snow tires as the Elise makes you feel so well what's happening.

They are quite a bit more flexible and feel 'loose' when driving compared to the normal tires. After a while you get used to it though and it's quite doable.

Just don't expect the same amounts of (cornering) grip and such, but that can be fun in itself too :D

Bye, Arno.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts