The Lotus Cars Community banner

Smattering of Oil on 2008 SC Engine

572 14
I am getting a little bit of oil pooling up on the flange where the oil pan mates to the crankcase. The picture below shows how much accumulated after about a couple hundred miles, since I wiped it off. The flange on the front side of the engine had a little smear, but was cleaner. This is a very slight leak -- no oil dripped down on the engine under pan.

I have searched old posts, and there seems to be many places where the oil could come from, if not the oil pan seal. Is this anything to be concerned about -- maybe all 2ZZ-GE's have this issue? Any ideas on what the source might be?
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
14,496 Posts
Does it feel like oil or could it be grease from a leaking boot?

·
Administrator
14,496 Posts
Maybe check dipstick tube for leakage? Did Kevin have any thoughts of the source when he did the PPI?

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe check dipstick tube for leakage? Did Kevin have any thoughts of the source when he did the PPI?
So it sounds like you are saying that this much oil should not be considered "normal"?

I talked to Kevin about having him upgrade the oil pan, hoping the seal on a new one would be better. But we were not 100% sure that was the issue and it did not happen due to the intricacies of the transaction. The previous owner has replaced the o-ring on the dipstick tube in the past. If I feel around the engine from above, I don't find any wetness by the dipstick tube. The source seems to be more on the rear side of the engine, but again I am no expert.

·
Administrator
14,496 Posts
This is where a borescope is invaluable. My first one was only$30 but it had short focal length. I just got a newer gen and it has 16" focal length plus two heads to you can see straight ahead and at 90 deg at same time. Much higher quality as well.

·
Registered
2008 Lotus Elise SC
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is where a borescope is invaluable. My first one was only$30 but it had short focal length. I just got a newer gen and it has 16" focal length plus two heads to you can see straight ahead and at 90 deg at same time. Much higher quality as well.
Great tip. I have one on order. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There are 4 spots in the gasket for the timing chain cover that require RTV.
Art Font Rectangle Circle Symmetry

Over time this packing can start to shrink/crack.
5$ says it’s the lil bit of RTV above that flange that isn’t doing so hot…

To fix it right, the cover needs to come off :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
14,496 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts