The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

After driving my Evora, I often smell a distinct odor from the exterior vents behind the doors. Its not super pungent like I understand a burning clutch can smell like (though admit I'm not sure what a buring clutch smells like), but it is quite strong at times.

I also had the car idle in my garage for 20 minutes and noticed the same smell. I assume that rules out the clutch as I was not driving it.

Almost smells like a plastic/chemical type smell.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the clutch smells like burning metal/electronics...its very distinct when it gets too hot.

Could be any number of adhesives or items in the engine bay, the above being likely. I wouldn't worry tooo much but check for leaks/melting items in the engine bay just inc ase.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, much appreciated. What I am smelling could definitely be characterized as a metalic/electronic type smell. But if it was just sitting in the garage at idle could it still be the clutch? Just trying to eliminate things.

The car is a 2011 with about 4,600 miles. I'd like to think I'm very easy on the clutch as I've driven manuals all my life.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Couldn't possibly be the clutch if you notice it with the car just idling. I might expect some kind of "off gassing" odors on a brand new car, but it does seem odd for that to continue after more than 4k miles.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
this is way out there, but check to see if your clutch is fully released. at idle it might be hung up and rubbing enough to cause it. Are you having any throwout bearing symptoms?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine had that same smell I believe, smells a little like burning wires? after driving the car putting some miles on it, it finally went away. My car is still under warranty so after looking and seeing nothing out of place or being able to track down the smell to any specific area other than engine bay, I figured that if anything did "break/Burn" it would be covered under warranty. I wrote it off as breaking in that "new car smell" :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for the thought put into this. Invict, I don't think I have the throwout bearing issue. Can you explain what the symptons are?

Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I started and let the car idle in the garage at operating temperature and have a couple more clues. The odor is only on the driver side of the car. There is no evidence of fluid or anything else on the motor. - no hint of smoke or that anything is burning.

I'm assuming it is not the clutch at this point given I did not move the car while it was running. Though curious to understand what the symptons are around the "throwout bearing" per the earlier posts. Sad to say but I'm not even sure what a bad or poorly operating clutch feels like in these cars.

Thanks again my friends! All thoughts and comments welcome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick follow-up on the below. What are the throwout bearing symptons? What does the throwout bearing do?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The throwout bearing is what you are pushing when you press the clutch, it disengages it (parts 12&33 in the picture).

It is highly unlikely that this can have anything to do with the smell. When in idle the clutch should be engaged, if it wre to slip with no load then it would slip terribly once you start driving.

Possibly you have caught some clutch dust from previous slippages. If that is the case it should go away after some time, otherwise your dealer could probably blow it out.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts