The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove 100+ miles to the track for a spec racer race. Near the end of the trip, when I hit stop signs, I smelled coolant (top off of the lotus). Temp is good between 185 and 205, depending on traffic. Coolant was low, so I refilled with OAT.

Still seems to have a coolant smell whenever I drive it. I don't see any leaking of liquid in the garage or on any of the hoses. Somewhere there must be a leak. For now, I'll watch and refill as needed.

Is there a classic place I should look that might turn out to be the leak?

2008 elise sc, 7300 miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Radiator. I am having the same problem, however, sometimes it will spray onto the windshield. I have not seen anything on the ground.

I have read in another thread that the end caps on the radiator, which are plastic, will leak either due to a crack or due to the seal to the metal radiator shrinks. Fred from BWR has suggested that if it the seal problem you can re-crimp the end caps. That thread also noted that by taking out the directional light you might be able to see fluid.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
How full was the reservoir? Before I changed on the Radium reservoir I had the same problem. It was to full and venting excess when the car was up to temp. The vent line in 2 inches long and it runs down on the tranny.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
This might sound crazy but remove the front turn signals and look down into the hole with a flashlight. I've got a $100 that says you'll see coolant in the channel of the front carbon crash structure.

This is what mine did when the end caps leaked. It collected in the crash structure and hung out there so I got a whiff of it when moving.

dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might sound crazy but remove the front turn signals and look down into the hole with a flashlight. I've got a $100 that says you'll see coolant in the channel of the front carbon crash structure.

This is what mine did when the end caps leaked. It collected in the crash structure and hung out there so I got a whiff of it when moving.

dave
Drivers side has coolant in the channel - good advice. I owe you a beer or three.

I'll run it up to temp and see if I can tell where it is coming from.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Drivers side has coolant in the channel - good advice. I owe you a beer or three.

I'll run it up to temp and see if I can tell where it is coming from.

Thanks.
With any luck the clamp is just loose. I think you can reach the clamp screw with the turn signal out.

Let us know what you find out.

I like dark beer FWIW....:)

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tightened the clamp, took temp up to 206 deg. No dripping. Nothing in the channel. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it was that simple to fix.

If we cross paths - dark beer it is.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Tightened the clamp, took temp up to 206 deg. No dripping. Nothing in the channel. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it was that simple to fix.

If we cross paths - dark beer it is.

Thanks for the tip.
Cool - I hope you have better luck than I did. I bought my car used a few years back and found the radiator was leaking as apparently all the 2005's did.

So the clam and all that comes off and I replace the rad with a top shelf all alloy welded unit and all is good.......for about 2 years. I smell coolant and see it in the channel on both sides. Tighten clamps and all that and the weeping on both sides continues.

I contact the maker of the rad and they tell me that they have one seen one leak ever and they doubt that it's leaking. Finally I order a new rad and swap them out (I'm getting good at this!) and the car is bone dry and all is good. I then send back the leaky rad for inspection and they tell me that it does indeed leak and they sent me a check with no hassles at all.

**** happens some times and it was cool they stepped up and took care of it. That was two years ago and all is still good. Fingers crossed!

------------------

I would run a hose into those channels and flush all the coolant out so you won't smell the old stuff and then make sure it's bone dry and then periodically pull those turn signals and check those channels. I'll bet you will be fine.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts