The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my S260 I haven't had to get it smog checked in CA until now. The previous owner was in CA and the car was registered in CA so obviously these cars can pass smog in CA. However, I took mine to a local smog station and they refused to smog check it because it has the factory accusump system... Does anyone know a good place in the NorCal Bay Area to get a Lotus smogged? Preferably in the South Bay!

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Since I bought my S260 I haven't had to get it smog checked in CA until now. The previous owner was in CA and the car was registered in CA so obviously these cars can pass smog in CA. However, I took mine to a local smog station and they refused to smog check it because it has the factory accusump system... Does anyone know a good place in the NorCal Bay Area to get a Lotus smogged? Preferably in the South Bay!

Thanks!
I'm surprised they even knew what the accusump was.

When you say 'factory accusump' are you saying it came from the factory that way, or it is an OEM accusumpt that was intalled later? If it came from the factory that way, perhaps the original documentation conveyed with the car and you can produce it to prove it's factory original?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Cover it up with a towel or a hollowed out cardboard box.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I talked with Eric at Suspension Performance and he recommended I take the car to Quicksmog which is across the street from his shop. I took it there aaaaaannnnd they failed it because of the Accusump. After going through all of the test and having a fat guy get in and out of my car...it passed everything with flying colors, but they refused to put on their seal of approval because of the accusump claiming it isn't CARB approved. I explained in depth that the accusump has nothing to do with emissions and explained exactly how it works...but no dice. Not sure what to do about this. I really don't want to go through removing it and installing a new pan at this point.

Does anyone know a shop that might look the other way??

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm sure there's some kind of legal appeal or something you can do but it can't be worth the effort. You could go to a referee station but I don't think there are any in south bay. Anyway might be worth a phone call to the BAR as a starting point.

Note that it's not a matter of looking the other way. The accusump is not a smog related item.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Worst case, remove the Accusump and take it in. Then put it back on. Righting the wrong.

It's only held in with four bolts a couple electrical connections and the one hose. Any race shop should have the right size plug for the hose.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There are some Sport 260s that are not California compliant. I can look into wether you car is one of those or not with some more detail - what # is it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Vishus_1: It is #8 on the list.

I bought the car from a guy in San Diego, CA where it was registered and smog legal so it should be okay. I am going to dig around in the various paperwork I have for the car and see if there is anything in there though I doubt it.

I suppose a call to the BAR is a good first step.

Worst comes to worst I will remove the Accusump and get it smogged...

Welcome to owning a Lotus in CA!

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
@Vishus_1: It is #8 on the list.

I bought the car from a guy in San Diego, CA where it was registered and smog legal so it should be okay. I am going to dig around in the various paperwork I have for the car and see if there is anything in there though I doubt it.

I suppose a call to the BAR is a good first step.

Worst comes to worst I will remove the Accusump and get it smogged...

Welcome to owning a Lotus in CA!
Sounds like you're dealing with idiots, which is typical when smogging a car in California.

I think I'd cover up the Accusump and take it in for emissions testing. You shouldn't have to hide it, but it might be necessary. Worst case scenario I'd take it to a smog referee if you know it's stock.

For what it's worth I passed CA smog testing with a stock exhaust/cat and aftermarket intercooler/tune/injectors/ecu/airbox. 281rwhp.

San

·
Registered
279 Posts
This may not be much help due to 1) distance from you, and 2) us having an NA 111 vs supercharged/Accusump'd, but for what it's worth...

We lived in the North Bay when we had to smog our Elise for the first time. Initially, we had a horrific and aborted experience with White Glove Smog Check in Rohnert Park. I'll never forget it. I had stopped by without the car about a week in advance to feel it out, and thought we were OK. During the test, however, the tech nearly banged the driver's door into the wall after driving it into the stall, needed told that the engine was not in the front of the car, then leaned all over the rear clam looking for whatever he was looking for in the engine bay, and finally braced his arm against the open engine hatch, which I saw BEND under his weight. I asked him to stop, step away from the car while I backed it out of the stall, and we drove away seething because the tech got all defensive about it.

After that, a friend referred us to a mom-and-pop type repair shop/smog station in the form of Dave's Auto Repair located at 1911 Bodega Avenue, Petaluma (707-763-8365). They were quick, friendly, and careful with our car. Not sure an Accusump would or would not throw them for a loop, but being a small, family business, I would think you'd be likely to get a more-than-fair shake.

Again, I realize that's a long way from the South Bay, and talking about the reasons for previously "failed" smog tests (i.e. the Accusump) isn't the way I would want to start my appointment-making phone call, either. Still, your plight made me think of our experience several years ago, and I thought I'd throw it out there. Might it be easier to disconnect the Accusump for the test and reconnect it afterwards? Yeah, might be. California never made anything easy. We miss the mountains, weather, and racetracks, but we'll never move back. Good luck with all--

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't own a lotus but I own a MR2 Spyder with a 2zz swap and I live in Northern California in the North Bay area.

When I smog my car, I try to go to shops that would be least likely to know what they are looking at. Many of them don't even know the name of the car.

one time I failed smog due to an engine check light so I fixed the problem and went back the next day to a different shop and right on, the tech asked me why I failed the first time.... apparently smog stations have a data base where all your past info is saved.

So wherever you go now, they will now that you have an issue and most of them will fail you for the same reason just because of ignorance on their behalf.

I would suggest fixing your car issue permanently so you wont have to deal with it in the future.
I would call the first owner and ask him what he did regarding passing smog. I would also go to a lotus dealership and ask if there is some type of a legal documentation that would help you.

Good luck
Rasheed

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Good point. I had my Corvette smoked at a GM dealer.

San

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I pulled the Accusump and FINALLY got the car through smog and promptly reinstalled it. Now the car is all smog legal and registered again in CA. Thanks for the help!

By the way they never checked ANYTHING else on the car...it could have passed smog without a CAT and a CAI no problem. I figured out if I put my gym bag in the trunk it totally blocks the accusump system and they would be none the wiser :) Next time...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts