The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Elise.

Everything else on my car has been blacked out now except the diffuser and the taillights. The taillights are next. My friend has been blacking out taillights on cars for a while now - he uses VHT NightShade. What do you guys use, and do you have any tips for me before I do it? We are also going to clear them so they look shiny.

How many screws are in each of the 4 taillights?

Thanks.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Don't inhale.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
don't make them too dark.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm pretty sure AgentTripleX has her's smoked with vinyl from Stickercity. Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I remember that many moons ago, people used to use Testor's window tint spraypaint. It is supposed to be for model car windows, but it works on plastic tail lights.

The downside (or upside, depending on how you look at it) was that you could "undo" the paint job with simple rubbing alcohol - returning the tail lights to stock.

With cars as small as ours are, I'd be hesitant to darken the tail lights though... bright lights are safer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^ Is that also vinyl around the tail lights too? I really want to black out that area on mine. Trying to still hear opinions on how hard it is to do that area in vinyl

·
Registered
943 Posts
^ Is that also vinyl around the tail lights too? I really want to black out that area on mine. Trying to still hear opinions on how hard it is to do that area in vinyl
Yes it's vinyl. Best part is I can remove it when I decide to go back to stock. I had a shop do it.

·
Premium Member
4,551 Posts
I have a set of '05 tail lights smoked by SCC for sale (I switched to LED's)

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, got the lights out and smoked them / cleared them. Ran into some "crackling" problems. Not sure if it's the plastic on the lights but we used adhesive to remove all germs off the lights and it still crackled - so we put a lot of clear on the lights so we can wet sand them and buff them out and hopefully the crackles will go away.

Other then that, the lights look great. I'll post pics when they are back in the car with a better camera.

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
you have to sand the lights before you spray them. The rough surface makes the tint adhere better. I did it with my reflectors & 3rd brake light ...no problems after 1 year.

·
Registered
808 Posts
ya i dont think the cracks are going away with buffing, we did my room mates and had the same problem. we stripped the paint and sanded them, stuck fine after that.

BTW: how many coats did you use? They look super dark, I'd be nervous about getting rear ended and being called out for illegal lights

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya i dont think the cracks are going away with buffing, we did my room mates and had the same problem. we stripped the paint and sanded them, stuck fine after that.

BTW: how many coats did you use? They look super dark, I'd be nervous about getting rear ended and being called out for illegal lights
Did 3 coats and like 5 coats of clear on each light. We plugged them into the car, light shined through perfectly fine. The cracks aren't that noticeable but we'll try the wet sanding/buffing and see how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts