Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1 = Poor, 5 = Excellent)

Parts pricing: 4
Parts availability: 5
Turnaround time: 5
Website ease of use: 4
Comments: McMaster Carr is a treasure trove of oem/upgrade replacement fasteners and hardware for our cars. Bolts, clam shims, aluminum tape, spacers...they have any and everything you could possibly need. The website is easy and fun to navigate and they have an immensely varied catalog, however the ordering process is a bit old-fashioned. If you store a CC on their system then you can use a really nice one-click order system. They tend to get any part to you within 3 working days.

·
Super Moderator
1,753 Posts
Agreed, the selection of McMaster is pretty useful, specially when looking for bolts we can't find at a local hardware store :)

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Just remember, there is not such thing as free shipping
Of course, but I found it to be less-than-transparent. I bought some hardware recently and was not hit with the $20 shipping until after the order was placed. I'd readily pay $1 more for a part on Amazon and save my net $19 in that particular case.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Of course, but I found it to be less-than-transparent. I bought some hardware recently and was not hit with the $20 shipping until after the order was placed. I'd readily pay $1 more for a part on Amazon and save my net $19 in that particular case.
I think you need to figure out your settings.

Now I pay on open account, maybe they treat us differently, but the shipping I pay is less than I would pay to ship things myself, 200 bucks of misc hardware cost less then 7 bucks shipping, 2 3x4 foot sheets of 1/8 FR4 plus a bunch of hardware 30 bucks shipping

They will ship from Chicago or whatever if your shipping preferences are not set the way you want, and it may not be obvious, and it may cost you money.

I thought amazon was cheaper on a single tube of loctite I bought, but the tube they carry is half the size, so they are actually much higher [over twice actually]

Anyway, New Jersey to Mass is next day if I order before 6:30 PM, always. While Prime is free 2 day, it costs money and if you are not buying just one item, it is quite frequently cheaper

Like I said, no free [lunch] shipping

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Also have experience with them dating back to my first co-op job in college. They're everything for anything mechanical that Sears & Roebuck was to the the farmer around 1900. Not always the best prices, but seldom the worst. Quick shipping, too. Not shocked that their search engine is great and that they have lots of shipping options - I know that they have lots of regional warehouses.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
We used to spend break time perusing the McMaster catalog, trying to find the most obscure item that we could get, in stock

Stainless steel toilet? check
teflon screws? check
SS braided teflon line in 1 foot increments? check

The catalog is legendary, tho I rarely use it now. You can sell them on ebay because they are difficult to get

I had my own Steve Martin moment when I got my first one, a few years after starting an account, when, apparently, I bought enough to justify my existence.

I can still picture that blocky cardboard box in my mailbox

The new mcmaster carr catalog is here, I'm somebody!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts