The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car was vandalized about 6 MONTHS ago, someone smashed a brick on my front windshield while it was parked.

First problem, finding a new windshield in California...after making dozens of phone calls, no dice.

Gave up and bought a Plexi one from Sector111. Try to find somewhere to install a non DOT windshield in California, after making dozens of phone calls, no dice.

Now upon doing more research finding out that I may not want sharp splinters of plexi shooting toward my eyeball if I get in a crash, since it is my daily driver. Also not sure I'm up for babysitting a scratch prone windshield, since I already have a babysit the car a bit..

Now, of course I have found a glass windshield..there is ONE at Beverly Hills Lotus....1300 or so for the glass...and 1000 for the install. SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!? ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to install a new windshield? I know the glass DOES cost around 1K....just UGH....the install CAN'T be that much, that HAS to be a joke.

Please dear god, I am so angry, I love my car, but I'm not really up for dealing with this type of stuff.....someone PLEASE tell me that "All you gotta do is take it to SuperGlass in El Segundo" or something....and "they'll put in new glass for 1200 out the door"

Has anyone else been through front glass repair NIGHTMARE???

·
My car sneezes
641 Posts
So my car was vandalized about 6 MONTHS ago, someone smashed a brick on my front windshield while it was parked.

First problem, finding a new windshield in California...after making dozens of phone calls, no dice.

Gave up and bought a Plexi one from Sector111. Try to find somewhere to install a non DOT windshield in California, after making dozens of phone calls, no dice.

Now upon doing more research finding out that I may not want sharp splinters of plexi shooting toward my eyeball if I get in a crash, since it is my daily driver. Also not sure I'm up for babysitting a scratch prone windshield, since I already have a babysit the car a bit..

Now, of course I have found a glass windshield..there is ONE at Beverly Hills Lotus....1300 or so for the glass...and 1000 for the install. SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!? ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS to install a new windshield? I know the glass DOES cost around 1K....just UGH....the install CAN'T be that much, that HAS to be a joke.

Please dear god, I am so angry, I love my car, but I'm not really up for dealing with this type of stuff.....someone PLEASE tell me that "All you gotta do is take it to SuperGlass in El Segundo" or something....and "they'll put in new glass for 1200 out the door"

No insurance?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I need my windshield replaced as well... This thread makes me wonder as well..... Im somewhat lucky because I have one sitting in my living room

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Thats pure bu--sh-t dont let them screw you,i replaced one on my old elise. the install took 2 guys less than a hour i watched and you dont have to remove the clam. the glass was 900 and 200 for the install. call silver star and get the name of the glass co they use i forgot it was 2 1/2 years ago. carl

·
Banned
874 Posts
I remember reading about what happened to ur windshield about 6 months ago.....That REALLY sucks hope you work our with silver star tho

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I need my windshield replaced as well... This thread makes me wonder as well..... Im somewhat lucky because I have one sitting in my living room
Yeah I have a speed-glass one in my bedroom. Has NOBODY on this mssg board installed one of these and say, used it for any length of time on the street?

I'm SO frustrated, it's like when I call any dealership at this point I'm so angry and aggressive I just want to scream, hehe!!

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
+1 about insurance --- this is usually covered by Comprehensive or as some insurance companies like to put it "damage to your auto other than collision". A deductible may apply if you have one but generally insurance companies don't hold these kinds of claims against you (unless there is a frequency issue and it is percieved it is abused or excessive).

I would be shocked to hear if you don't have full coverage on your car to cover this. It should cover both the glass and the install.

But I do understand the frustration you are going through...it really shouldn't be this difficult. There are many other cars that have more specialized needs for the windshield than the Elise/Exige. The supply issue is inexcusable and that is Lotus USA's fault. Glass is a no brainer to stock up on.

I'm curious if the glass is the same - I have seen many supposed "factory" replacements to have different logos and markings on them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had mine replaced at the dealer, was a bit of a hassle with the insurance (due to glass cost and that I wanted the dealer to do it) but nothing too bad, I believe that the dealers are the only place you can get factory glass, so if you use a outside shop they will have to buy the glass from the dealer (I maybe wrong on this). The dealer subcontracted the labor. And my clam did not have to come off.

John

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have an ever-growing crack in mine as well. but called my insurance company and it is covered (-deductible) so is silver star the way to go in the LA area?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh anger has it's place. I found a shop today, that has a bunch of Elise/Exige s in for bodywork. Just happened to see it cruising down the street a bit ago today......unbelievable timing....it's SSC off La Cienega in West LA...or maybe that's just straight up LA. They claim to do this work all the time, and from what I read online they are pretty good. It's an exotic car haus' so......they told me on the phone 850'ish for glass, 200'ish for install, can't remember exactly. Taking it there tonight...I'll let you all know how it goes.

And I hope to god, there are no posts after this talking about how someone took their car to SSC and it came back with a huge human turd in the pass' seat or something...LOL....it seems to good to be true that I found this place hours after melting down at the BH info..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thats pure bu--sh-t dont let them screw you,i replaced one on my old elise. the install took 2 guys less than a hour i watched and you dont have to remove the clam. the glass was 900 and 200 for the install. call silver star and get the name of the glass co they use i forgot it was 2 1/2 years ago. carl
+1

No way in hell for a $1K installation :no: . This is a $1200-$1400 job all day long...including installation. Call other dealers

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ahhh anger has it's place. I found a shop today, that has a bunch of Elise/Exige s in for bodywork. Just happened to see it cruising down the street a bit ago today......unbelievable timing....it's SSC off La Cienega in West LA...or maybe that's just straight up LA. They claim to do this work all the time, and from what I read online they are pretty good. It's an exotic car haus' so......they told me on the phone 850'ish for glass, 200'ish for install, can't remember exactly. Taking it there tonight...I'll let you all know how it goes.

And I hope to god, there are no posts after this talking about how someone took their car to SSC and it came back with a huge human turd in the pass' seat or something...LOL....it seems to good to be true that I found this place hours after melting down at the BH info..

Please let us know if this place works out. I have a small ding on my windshield as well. Although its not bad now, i imagine in a year or so, it might grow to become a problem.

If this place doesn't work out, you could try calling Quais. (through his shop and not through southbay bmw.)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good call on Quis....I need to take my car in for an oil change and to get the check engine light sorted. I was going to take it to BH, but I think now...i'll just go to Quis.....as it seems the "labor" at BH is pretty insane.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good call on Quis....I need to take my car in for an oil change and to get the check engine light sorted. I was going to take it to BH, but I think now...i'll just go to Quis.....as it seems the "labor" at BH is pretty insane.
Qais is pretty backed up during his transition to his new shop and with a newborn in the house. If you need this done immediately, you may be out of luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Please let us know if this place works out. I have a small ding on my windshield as well. Although its not bad now, i imagine in a year or so, it might grow to become a problem.

If this place doesn't work out, you could try calling Quais. (through his shop and not through southbay bmw.)
does quais have his own shop now? location pls?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Qais is pretty backed up during his transition to his new shop and with a newborn in the house. If you need this done immediately, you may be out of luck.
Yeah, BH Lotus said the light was an issue with the throttle position sensor at the pedal giving different info than the sensor at the throttle body, i guess this is a throttle by wire issue. So it kicks in "limp" mode....so I can still get to and from work, it just TOTALLY sucks.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah, BH Lotus said the light was an issue with the throttle position sensor at the pedal giving different info than the sensor at the throttle body, i guess this is a throttle by wire issue. So it kicks in "limp" mode....so I can still get to and from work, it just TOTALLY sucks.
just get a cheep code reader and reset it when it comes on untill you have it fixed. do you know the code??. carl

·
Registered
41 Posts
hm, i'm going to have to tell my wife about this.

Raise your hand if your wife/gf ever broke your windshield.

:wave: <-- on a different car (hummer h3)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts