The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I met my friend a few years ago when I moved to town. I never asked what he did, all I knew was he loves sports cars and drove a Mercedes SLR McLaren and Lamborghini Gallardo during the time.

I ran into him last night at a local hot spot and caught up with him at length.

Anyway, as it turns out he owns a ECU tuning company. He's tunes very high-end vehicles and of course, lower-end ones.

He is also very good friends with the owner of my dealership and says he was loaned two Lotus Evoras to tune and completed that already. He wants to tune my car for stupid cheap (I spend more than this on a Saturday night) and will even build me a device to flash the ECU back to factory settings or let me come to his shop and he'll flash it back any time I want. The car will be dyno'd and the sport mode will be where the tune lives.

Given that I am still under warranty and the ECU can be flashed back to factory settings, do you think I should do this? He wants me to come visit his shop tomorrow and check out his set up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
In a word - YES! Primarily because if all goes well I can then drive mine down to Orlando and have him do mine :D

Given that you already have a supersprint exhaust and test pipe, I don't think still being under warranty should stop you.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Hello and yes. warranty is fine unless its a motor related claim

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Test pipe and exhaust do not void warranty.
Before doing my motor upgrades, I confirmed with my dealer that they would not void the warranty unless the parts were directly related to the motor failure. This is especially the case on anything that isn't downstream from the problem (i.e. exhaust)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I could swear ECU modifications voids engine warranties as it directly affects timing, mapping, A/F, etc of the engine. But if you could reflash it back who cares. If any issue arises flash it back and then take to the dealer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update: Today, I got my Larini Test Pipe installed and we did some runs and he installed a per-configured ECU tune.

Right now, this is basically all I'm allowed to say as per our agreement until he is ready to start marketing this to our community and using my car as the launch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
...now I'm off to go drive it around!
Ok, now you're teasing us :D

Just kidding - excited to hear how the tuning goes. :popcorn:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After tune was installed we went for a drive and I did 4 or 5 pulls and after each pull the car got stronger. The car pulls all the way through red line like it didn't before. The car has instant throttle response, which it didn't have before.

The Larini Test Pipe added zero horsepower, and just the smallest tone increase. I need to swap out these headers and down-pipe to get the note I am looking for.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You mentioned you did some runs earlier before the tune - I assume you mean dyno runs? Would love to see some before/after tune numbers.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No dyno, he connected his laptop and we did some runs on the highway to get some general readings. He saved my original file and uploaded a more aggressive file that he already had done from the previous Evoras he worked on, so this tune wasn't made precisely for my car and it's upgrades, but we do plan to do that and I do want to dyno it. I'd like to get my 2bular headers and 2bular downpipe done before I delve into that.

We have another project in the works for my car, as well. I've been told not to mention it for now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@niclipse

could your friend be thinking to sell his mapping, even to Europe?

Very helpfull would be a dyno run before and after the remapping on the same dyno.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts