The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see pics of Lotus Elise owners having meets and etc already in the US...I thought the Elise or any other model other than Esprit wasnt street legal here in US...I have seen 1 "Elise looking" model on the track in Portland but that was a essentially a race car and Im pretty sure he brought it in trailer...dont know the history of Lotus well(obviously) so which models are the ones already here in US(obviously isnt the Federal Elise)....btw, just ordered the book "Lotus Elise:the official story" by Jeremy Walton....hope its good.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
A number of elises and exige were brought in "for racing only" brought in by Lotus USA, additionally some conversions also out there, most of the cars are series 1 elises (sport 190). The other cars are demos from the dealer/press launch and LA auto show.
Chris

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
A number of elises and exige were brought in "for racing only" brought in by Lotus USA, additionally some conversions also out there, most of the cars are series 1 elises (sport 190). The other cars are demos from the dealer/press launch and LA auto show.
Chris
About 75-80 via LCU - off-road use only cars. These include S190s, 340Rs, etc.

Some unknown number of grey market cars, like those from Sun Int'l w/ Honda engines (there were 2-3 of these at the WCLM).

And there are folks from Europe who are here on work visas or in the military that can bring their cars over for a short period of time. However, those cars must go back after their jobs are completed or the time limit is reached.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
There were approx. the following cars brought into the US by LUSA:

45 Elise 190S
13 Exige
12 Motorsport Elise
13 340R

As was pointed out there are conversion cars here as well as other cars brought here legally.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
khamai said:
here on work visas or in the military that can bring their cars over for a short period of time. However, those cars must go back after their jobs are completed or the time limit is reached.
That time limit is one year. The cars must be shipped out of the US after one year. And they can't be sold while they are here.

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
TimMullen said:
That time limit is one year. The cars must be shipped out of the US after one year. And they can't be sold while they are here.

Tim Mullen
I've always wondered, what if it's 'totalled?'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts