The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can remember seeing my 1st Elise in the video game Need for Speed 2 for the Playstation. That was what, 1998? Loved it ever since. Memories....

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
2002 LA Auto Show

The person behind the rope said that it would be coming to America next year (2003) and that it was priced at $40,000. That caught my attention. But I didn't act on it until I saw the Road & Track article. That pushed me over the edge and got me to put down a deposit.

Bob K.

·
Registered
308 Posts
when s1 was comming out I read about the car, drooled until I found out we cant get it, cried untill now, will cry harder if US gets it and Canada doesnt.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Been following the car with a little enthusiasm since the S1. I actually checked into S1 conversions for the US a few years ago, but dropped the concept when I was told that the price would be about $80k.

I didn't know about the S2 coming to America until the R&T article. They had an S1 at last year's Miami auto show (idiots !!), so I got wind late.

Anyhow, I put down my deposit the day after I read the article.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
articles on the elise some 4 or 5 years ago but as i recall there was always a comment on the issues involved in federal car that would make it prohibitively expensive for lotus to do it.

i did not realize it was coming over until a couple months ago. thanks to you guys here i learned that it is close...so i dropped a deposit

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I took notice of the Elise from Randy talking about it on sccaforums.com. Checked out this forum and a few other sites while being bored on a weekend, and put down a deposit a week or two later.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I remember reading about the S1 in Top Gear and CAR magazine, but didn't really care for the styling much so was only mildly interested. When the S2 came along, I read about it wishfully, loving the new look, yet never imagined I'd have the chance to own one. I just put it into the category of cool European cars I'll never see here. When the rumors of its US arrival began, I talked to a local dealer and had my name added to the 'pre waiting list list'. In January of '03 I got the call that they were now taking deposits, and made a frantic call to my wife before calling the salesman back with my credit card number. :)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
I read far too many car rags so I became aware of the S1 at it's intro. A picture of a yellow S1 has been sitting on my desk since '98. I'm looking at it right now....

I had almost given up hope a year ago and was about to order a 911. Luckily Lotus came thru at the '03 LA show and my deposit was placed a coupla weeks later.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Went to local dealer 5 miles away in NJ to see if they were still making Elans about 10 years ago and they say no, but a new model was coming out in a year or to. Drove by dealer on way to work for several years and saw lots of Esprits but no new models Read that Elise wasnt being imported into US. Heard that it got great reviews in Europe. Forget about it for several years. Moved to FL. Was surfing web and saw on Lotus site that Elise was coming. Went to local dealer 8 miles away but Lotus saleman wasnt there. They took my name and called me about a month later and told me they were starting to take deposits. Procrastiated a few weeks, since engine, transmision, air conditioning and other details werent known and rumors were flying. Got word that car would have A/C(a must) and have about 175-190 horsepower(more is better), and might have option for automatic so that others could drive it(if it doesnt no big deal)
Left deposit sight unseen. Dealer in NJ got demo car in, my brother saw it and called and said it was too small and I would never fit my fat ass in it. (Ahh-Brotherly love) Thought about asking for deposit back if I didnt fit. Local dealer got car, I was able to fit, (6ft 210 lbs) LOVED the way it handled and looked. Went home, continued eating like a pig and have been waiting for April of 2004 to arrive.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've been waiting ever since the S1 was released in '96. Seen them in Europe and Japan, but I knew about them before they hit the streets. Always wanted a Lotus and now I am soooo close. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Saw the S1 for the first time on the original Topgear review.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Re: 2002 LA Auto Show

rtking said:
The person behind the rope said that it would be coming to America next year (2003) and that it was priced at $40,000. That caught my attention. But I didn't act on it until I saw the Road & Track article. That pushed me over the edge and got me to put down a deposit.

Bob K.
Ditto for me, except it was 2003 Auto Show and $38,500 was the price mentioned. Invited to sit in the car, loved it. Saw the car on Friday, talked to my wife over the weekend to see if she was ok with the Elise's challenging features, called Symbolic on Monday to place deposit by credit card. Apparently dropped about 6 places on the waiting list by not calling right away that Friday, but owed it to my wife to run it by her first. Nervously test drove a car in February, fearing that I might not love it, but of course I did.

·
Registered
670 Posts
From a thread at www.britishcarforum.com in the Lotus section someone pasted part of the R&T article. I found a couple photos and bought the magazine that night. Next morning I drove to a dealer and put down a deposit. Two weeks later I started to get worried that my deal did not include MSRP as price so I called around and put down a second deposit out of state @ MSRP.

Steve

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Like M!!!!, I knew of the Elise before it was an Elise. Originally it was being called Elan because it came on the heals of the S2 Elans end. Original concepts had shown the car as a full convertible. The car was supposed to be produced for 1 year at about 700 total units. Lotus started to get a clue when they sold out 2 1/2 years worth before the car was even on the road! Of course looking at that number now in comparision with what we have done here in the US, it seems to be happening all over again.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I also knew about the Elise from a video game a few years back. I knew it was coming to the US maybe a year or so ago when it was first announced. Been following more closely ever since that announcement.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts