The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing the raspy rattly Stage I exhaust on my Exige Cup 240 and am very interested in the QS. I've watched the limited youtube videos that exist but it's always hard to gauge the true sound from a video.

So is this exhaust actually that loud? As in straight pipe loud? I am chasing an exotic sound and am no stranger to loud exhausts, and I dont necessarily want to go under the radar as the exige isnt that sort of car anyway. I just don't want fart can obnoxious loud. Something that sings when you open the throttle is OK with me though.

The car does see the street but is not daily driven. Also not concerned about noise limits at the track as they dont really exist at the tracks I attend.

I should also note I plan on going decat as well and will be using a diffuser exit.

Opinions of those who have the QS or have heard it would be great. Not really considering any other exhausts other than BOE at this stage and its between the QS or the ST.

thanks

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Ha. I did the same "research" as you. I should probably post a video myself. I have not heard the ST so I cannot comment on that however I can say that I am extremely pleased with the BOEQS (as noted in my signature line). The QS is a bit loud but nothing similar IMO to a straight pipe. I'll put it this way, given the descriptions given on Vendor sites, User feedback, and videos, if you're still considering the QS, I believe you have already made your decision. You'll be happy with the purchase...I certainly am!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ if you could post a video that would be awesome!? a drive by would be great, there dont seem to be any good ones on the tube. Do you get lots of attention from the exhaust on the street and is it bareable at cruising speeds of 35 mph?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

I found a video I made in 2010 showing the Elise with the quarter stick exhaust. (silver with stripes)

My white exige has a larini SE
The yellow elise that can't shift has a stage II and katana supercharger... which doesnt seem to be working.

3:13 and 5:44 for the quarter stick

·
Registered
296 Posts
YouTube

I found a video I made in 2010 showing the Elise with the quarter stick exhaust. (silver with stripes)

3:13 and 5:44 for the quarter stick
Well that got an "oh my". Sounds awesome. I'm looking at the different BOE flavors too, but will need to pass sound. 93db @ 50'. ("A" weighting, "Slow" response on the meter). Anyone want to provide me with a christmas miracle and cough up data that detailed? :)
tia.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'll have to admit, my stage II sounds great but it's soooo loud. I'm considering a BOE ST5 maybe. The QS may be as loud as the Stage II from what I hear.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
The QS is a very aggressive sound. It's always a head turner at the track and I would get compliments from folks in the pit. "Sounds like an F1 car!". The QS might be a bit much for a DD, but certainly fine on the street.

The ST is much lower note and easy to live with for a DD. When on the go pedal, it will still talk to you:D

I don't typically recommend the ST5 for DD. It's designed for specific use on tracks with tight noise restrictions like Laguna where db's are all that matter. We actually used to call it the Laguna muffler:eek: It is quiet but comes at the cost of some power and the exhaust note is not as crisp as the non-baffled mufflers.

All of them are rebuildable and repairable. People have played with different packing, etc to get different exhaust notes, etc. They're the among the lightest if not the lightest mufflers commercially available for our cars. Since they're rebuildable, these mufflers may last the life of the car...

Just my 2 cents...

Phil

·
Registered
686 Posts

Clearly hands down best sounding exhaust, too bad I've read it's too small for supercharging... Araqay.. In this vid it's gotta be over 120 db imo

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ummm it's VERY LOUD! The first time I ever heard an Elise with one was a couple weeks ago during our run to the Motors4Toys show. We were in a caravan consisting of several Ferraris and Lotus when the Elise with the QS merged onto the freeway with us. It immediately grabbed all of our attention. It sounded great, but damn it was loud.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The QS is a very aggressive sound. It's always a head turner at the track and I would get compliments from folks in the pit. "Sounds like an F1 car!". The QS might be a bit much for a DD, but certainly fine on the street.

The ST is much lower note and easy to live with for a DD. When on the go pedal, it will still talk to you:D

I don't typically recommend the ST5 for DD. It's designed for specific use on tracks with tight noise restrictions like Laguna where db's are all that matter. We actually used to call it the Laguna muffler:eek: It is quiet but comes at the cost of some power and the exhaust note is not as crisp as the non-baffled mufflers.

All of them are rebuildable and repairable. People have played with different packing, etc to get different exhaust notes, etc. They're the among the lightest if not the lightest mufflers commercially available for our cars. Since they're rebuildable, these mufflers may last the life of the car...

Just my 2 cents...

Phil
So for a weekend car that is taken to work maybe twice per month the QS sounds like its suitable then? If it barks in the higher rev range, that's what I want. My concern is a muffler that's constantly LOUD whether you're at idle, 2k RPM or 7k (which is basically what a straight pipe is like haha). If the QS is not that, then I think I've made my choice :D

That arquay exhaust is loud but ridiculous!

Also does the diffuser exit version still come in a partially unfinished tip?

Thanks again.

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
So for a weekend car that is taken to work maybe twice per month the QS sounds like its suitable then? If it barks in the higher rev range, that's what I want. My concern is a muffler that's constantly LOUD whether you're at idle, 2k RPM or 7k (which is basically what a straight pipe is like haha). If the QS is not that, then I think I've made my choice :D

That arquay exhaust is loud but ridiculous!

Also does the diffuser exit version still come in a partially unfinished tip?

Thanks again.

The QS is still a long can with packing, so it's NOTHING like a straight pipe car. The exhaust sound is considerably "tuned" in the muffler for sure. Love it or hate it, the QS is nothing like an unmuffled straight pipe to be sure. It's much quieter and much "cleaner" in tone than no muffler.

Based on your description, the QS is probably a good choice.

The tip is tumbled SS. the finish is such that it is nearly free of mill marks and can be easily polished or left with the satin tumbled finish.

Thanks,

-Phil

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi4XWCn3TBo

Clearly hands down best sounding exhaust, too bad I've read it's too small for supercharging... Araqay.. In this vid it's gotta be over 120 db imo
this is my friends car.i ve rode in it,I ve heard the exhaust driving behind and its super loud raspy very mechanical sounding, you d think there was a drag car in the tunnel.i think this is due to its step down unlike a straight through design,but powerwise it isnt ideal fof a supercharger

·
Registered
686 Posts
The Arqay sounds like a really bad fart can.
Have you heard it in person? I want to SC my car one day, and I've read its too restrictive for that. I'd agree it sounds slightly farty, but its a 4 cylinder engine what do you expect? I cannot really speak much as I've never heard one in person and as always videos just don't do justice for anything.

This video doesn't sound farty at all to me on WOT, sounds like a very unrestricted exhaust, or are you calling backfires farty? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts