• Three Sir!

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • More?

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
At the riskof Nick reading this and bumping me down another 12 months, I am fed up with Symbolic. Their behavior is what you'd expect from a "car dealer," but not a Lotus dealer. Having a single deposit with them since last year and getting no information or commitment to an order list, I've gone to a second deposit elsewhere. Only Randy could defend their behavior, but that is because he'll be getting his car to keep him quiet.

If only I had an extra 10 grand to get higher on the list at Symbolic..............
:confused:

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
dez said:
Their behavior is what you'd expect from a "car dealer," but not a Lotus dealer.
That's exactly how I felt about Prestige, but I withdrew my deposit before placing the second one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll keep my first depost since it is refundable, just in case. But I'm with you on your previous post, about 'live and learn'

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Only Randy could defend their behavior, but that is because he'll be getting his car to keep him quiet.
I disagree with that. I don't recall defending anything. And if I see anything that is wrong I will say it. I will admit to being conservative in my criticism, but I think you will find that I am consistent in my conservatism of any dealer, Lotus USA, and Lotus UK.

Let me repeat. I was told early on by Graham that they would reserve the right to sell some of the early cars to previous customers. I don't have a problem with that, so I guess that would fall into defending Symbolic?

We do not know how many cars were reserved for this.

We do not know if Symbolic indeed intends on selling these to existing customers, or if they will hit up ebay for the highest return.

I have stated that how they handled the orders for the first 10 cars made no sense to me and sucked and I had to argue to get a car actually assigned to me. But I can't say for sure if that was just sloppiness on their part, or if they are being underhanded. I don't know. Lacking real data, I choose to not make accusations on a public forum.

Lastly... I am not sure even if they took and kept 10 spots, if that was wrong, as long as nobody got bumped down. If someone called Symbolic and was offered spot 15, and it turns out 5 people were ahead of him and the rest were dealer cars, nobody was mislead. If I know someone was bumped down in order to create dealer spots, that would be different. I don't know that. All reports I have seen are of Symbolic being (either intentionally or not) sloppy or vague.

Anyways.... I think people are free to comment all the went about the dealers. I don't see me as having defended anything that Symbolic has done beyond holding cars for customers, which I was told they would do. I am on record as offering my criticisms.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Don't get too offended, Randy. You are the Elise King, as far as I'm concerned, but you are in the loop and more aware than I of what is happening within Lotus USA, etc. But, as a very long-time fan of Lotus, and the Elise, yet an outsider, I'm frustrated beyond belief at this whole experience. Funny thing is, I completely support the lack of corporate info, but am mad about the local dealers lying and evasiveness. You were obviously aware of the first 10 or 50 cars from Symbolic being reserved for the highest bidder, but when I put my deposit down this was never relayed to me.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
rolandchen said:
I believe all dealers already have their own spots inserted in every 10th list for their interest. That is why they won't post their list for us to view. Some dealers don't even tell you, your exact spot, they will tell you that you are in 90+ etc. They can always decide later to use their reserved spots or not base on their SPECIAL ORDERS !!!:

I accidently saw the dealer list at Palm Beach where I am getting my car at, so I know this wont happen. Colin Chapman is in front of me and his wife and children have the spot after me .:D

Seriously, one name on their list seems suspicious and only someone with knowledge of Lotus history would realize the co-incidence. Wonder if the dealer is keeping the car, or if someone really has that name (its not an unusual name- no its not Arnie Johnson) or if they are using a made up name for someone that wants to remain unknown. In any case I know my exact spot in line and know who is a few spots in front of me and who is a few spots behind me. I also know that I am getting the first red car at the dealership. This way if one of us gets our car before the others then we will know that something is up. But the dealership hasnt lied to anyone yet and I dont have any reason to believe they will in the future.

·
Registered
249 Posts
xxxotic said:
. I also know that I am getting the first red car at the dealership.
Not if someome pays 10k more. Obviously, I'm now jaded. All of this west coast crap sounds like a Seinfeld episode. Wish I could do justice writing about the 'You know how to TAKE reservations, you just don't know how to KEEP them.'

Sorry for venting, but I actually feel better now...

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
dez said:
All of this west coast crap sounds like a Seinfeld episode. Wish I could do justice writing about the 'You know how to TAKE reservations, you just don't know how to KEEP them.'

Sorry for venting, but I actually feel better now...
NO ELISE FOR YOU;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I only have one deposit on my Elise. Why? Because I refuse to screw over the dealer network by playing them with insincere deposits. In return, I would hope that I'm treated with the same respect and get my Elise in a timely manner at a fair price--with no games. I have a $1K deposit with Silver Star Motors, and hope to order and receive my Elise sometime in the first quarter of next year for MSRP.

Maybe I'm naive. I hope my faith in the Lotus dealer network will not be abused.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mr.W,
Wally is a great guy, you can count on him to treat you honestly, had my deposit with Star originally until LOA opened up.
Chris

21 - 30 of 30 Posts