The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit I was a little turned off by the cheesey name of this "secret weapon" as well as the Weapon R product ads. However, after receiving the product and installing it, I'm starting to think this may be the hidden gem of intakes.

After consulting with another owner, I decided to pull the trigger. Keep in mind I'm running the rich Katana 06 tune but with a 3.1" pulley. I will be watching A/F closely.

The package arrived in perfect condition and the intake itself is made well. The only thing I did was file down some rough metal edges on the underside of the MAF hole on the intake tube. The hardest part of the install was mounting the heat shielding that comes with the intake. It's a tight fit, but then again...probably not needed anyway since the filter resides near the driver side air scoop.

I did notice improved throttle response and the s/c whine REALLY screams now. There is no doubt that the car pulls harder and seems to breathe much better. I'm now thinking that the 3.1" pulley was just too much for the stock airbox.

I've had it on since last Wed. and the car is running perfect....VERY fast and no CEL. A/F ratios start in the 13's and drop to 12's by 4 or 5k , then into 11's after 7k RPM...I will be logging more and when I do I'll post the results.

I did notice that the ECU took a few days to re-learn, and it seems to be done now. Overall I am very happy and convinced it was an important key to my S/C setup. I am hoping that the final piece I'm missing is the ForcedFed 4-1 headers.

Those of you who are on the fence, this is a report from the other side. Your results may vary, but keep in mind this intake has the exact same diameter as the stock tubing and the MAF is in the right spot. I also prefer the foam filter over the K&N type. IMO, I dont think you can go wrong this this one, but those of you with FI should keep an eye on the A/F to make sure its a good fit for your tune, although my A/F numbers are almost identical.

Good luck and be safe....:shift:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup.... told 'ja!

Been loving mine for well over a year, now.
Yes, thanks for the info!

As an update, things couldnt be better. Car is running strong, A/F's are in check, and no CEL. The supercharger sound is MUCH louder with this intake.

My friend drove my car today and hit the rev limiter in 2nd...he said it pulls so fast you have to really pay attention or you'll miss it and hit the limiter....I agree, I have noticed that the upper RPM range REALLY flys by now...my engine can breathe!! Now for some headers...

Great little intake, highly recommended.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
It depends on whats going on, if the MAF is in the same place, the airflow is the same, the idle vane is there, and a bunch of other stuff it'll keep the ecu in the same place, so theres nothing to unlearn.

The problem is when the airflow is changed, the MAF signal is no longer correct, thats what causes the 'learning' issue, however if you change the amount of air going into the engine, you will change the AF mix, most widebands are too slow to accurately see the problems, as are most dynos.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It depends on whats going on, if the MAF is in the same place, the airflow is the same, the idle vane is there, and a bunch of other stuff it'll keep the ecu in the same place, so theres nothing to unlearn...
Jesus Christ, Charlie.... :huh: you pulled the rug out from under me when I was trying to tell Tim Mullen the same thing in another thread!

·
Registered
381 Posts
My buddy is the owner of weapon R. DOn't think he's tested this on an S. I have an S40 coming in june and will ask him about this. Don't really like the idea of being a mule though... Another friend of mine (champion car ZIC lotus challenge), has weapon R intake and headers in his 05 exige NA, no problems at all. Larini muffler, no ECU tune.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

My buddy is the owner of weapon R. DOn't think he's tested this on an S. I have an S40 coming in june and will ask him about this. Don't really like the idea of being a mule though... Another friend of mine (champion car ZIC lotus challenge), has weapon R intake and headers in his 05 exige NA, no problems at all. Larini muffler, no ECU tune.

I had the Weapon-R Race Header (d-cat), Weapon-R Race Intake and Sector 111 Larini SE Exhaust installed about 2 months ago and have been pleased with it all. The combination screams and is superior over the stock. I luv rattling all of my neighbors windows as I drive by...hehe.

Overall, I shaved off a few pounds from the vehicle with this upgrade and improved both the exhaust note and response time.

I would recommend it to those who are considering it.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I had the Weapon-R Race Header (d-cat), Weapon-R Race Intake and Sector 111 Larini SE Exhaust installed about 2 months ago and have been pleased with it all. The combination screams and is superior over the stock. I luv rattling all of my neighbors windows as I drive by...hehe.

Overall, I shaved off a few pounds from the vehicle with this upgrade and improved both the exhaust note and response time.

I would recommend it to those who are considering it.

Right now I have the same headers and stage II exhaust, no intake anymore; just green filter and de-snork; and it is VERY loud especially in neighborhoods where it echoes.

I can't imagine how loud yours is :D I'm putting a Reverie CF intake on, welding a sport cat, and getting a PES tune. I expect to be around 175-180 whp...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I am putting on my Flame suit in advance but, Lose the block off plate and let the engine breath - Heat will zap power and any reduction of airflow to the engine bay (Block off plate) is not needed as the filter is already in the airflow path.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

Right now I have the same headers and stage II exhaust, no intake anymore; just green filter and de-snork; and it is VERY loud especially in neighborhoods where it echoes.

I can't imagine how loud yours is :D I'm putting a Reverie CF intake on, welding a sport cat, and getting a PES tune. I expect to be around 175-180 whp...
Sweet combo...I know you have a smile on your face EVERY time you push the start button!

I luv jamming the Copper's radar!! My radar system is more advanced and expensive than the State issued radar guns they shoot. I shot past a Copper the other day who heard me quickly approaching and beamed his radar gun at me only to read a blank...hehe. He looked violated!

YES...feeds my sadistic appetite!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sweet combo...I know you have a smile on your face EVERY time you push the start button!

I luv jamming the Copper's radar!! My radar system is more advanced and expensive than the State issued radar guns they shoot. I shot past a Copper the other day who heard me quickly approaching and beamed his radar gun at me only to read a blank...hehe. He looked violated!

YES...feeds my sadistic appetite!
HAHA thats great!

·
Banned
34 Posts
Agent Of Intolerance

HAHA thats great!
Absolutely!

I enjoy knowing that I can pull the trigger whenever and wherever I want to in my Exige!

Coppers hear me approaching...hear my exiting...but are clueless of how fast I was going!!

Gotta luv it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts