The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking for someone I know. What should they do now? How can they salvage the most value out of of it short of doing it themselves. What are the steps in a situation like this? No track insurance. What if anything do you tell your own insurance? Just inform them when it has been sold. CoPart? Ebay Auction?

👀

· Registered
1,082 Posts
They could try if their auto insurance would give them this one. Would need to read the full policy and and exclusions. Likely wouldn't be covered but doesn't hurt to read all the lines.

Otherwise could try selling the car as whole on ebay/copart/iaai and recoup some amount. Could also try parting it out depending on whats good vs bad etc.

· Registered
135 Posts
Was it a track day? From what I've heard in the motorcycle trackday world is, as long as it wasn't a race and it was an event to improve your driving/riding, it could be covered? Not actually sure why insurance would cover it, but have heard of guys destroying high end Ducati's and getting it covered?

· Registered
407 Posts
This is my worst fear when I started to track my cars 2 years ago. It sucks paying $600 bucks for track day insurance but god forbid you wreck it and it’s totaled like OPs friend. I have GEICO and they informed me that any HPDE event not covered. I would call insurance and let them know what happened. They ll probably will tell you to pound sand and then you can see what parts can be recovered and sold

· Registered
197 Posts
Asking for someone I know. What should they do now? How can they salvage the most value out of of it short of doing it themselves. What are the steps in a situation like this? No track insurance. What if anything do you tell your own insurance? Just inform them when it has been sold. CoPart? Ebay Auction?

👀
Sorry to hear that.

· Premium Member
681 Posts
Track Day so insurance won't cover it. Well the other thing is there was already an expensive claim on another car within the last 12 months. It was minor but Italian and carbon. User error not on track. View attachment 1331817

:rolleyes: View attachment 1331818 :whistle:
Oh WOW, That looks to be a near roller and certainly a total loss. Hope the folks were ok??!!
That may be engine, trans, and a few interior parts. That makes me truly sick to see!! Guess I will continue to spend for track day insurance....

· Registered
471 Posts
Wow....very sorry to hear about your friend's unfortunate incident. It is too late for this but for others, as a rule of thumb, never track anything you can't afford to lose or write off. This is why buying track insurance is absolutely essential since getting insurance is something you control...what happens on track is something you can't control. 600 is far cheaper than a rebuild and salvage title.
Regardless, I would avoid calling your insurance and trying to have them foot the bill because you risk the chance of having the agent flag your account and drop your coverage altogether since you're pretty much admitting that you're using a covered car under policy for off road use (yes this has happened to others). I'd say your best bet is to sell it as on ebay or copart and try to recoop as much as possible. With the wait times and scarcity on parts, rebuilding might not even be a feasible option and might take months....if best case scenario, parts are available and the frame isn't damaged.
Even if you rebuild it with a clean title, your friend would need to disclose that it was rebuilt and accept a lower sale price if he ever decides to sell. Its not a situation I'd like to be in.....

· Premium Member
681 Posts
Wow....very sorry to hear about your friend's unfortunate incident. It is too late for this but for others, as a rule of thumb, never track anything you can't afford to lose or write off. This is why buying track insurance is absolutely essential since getting insurance is something you control...what happens on track is something you can't control. 600 is far cheaper than a rebuild and salvage title.
Regardless, I would avoid calling your insurance and trying to have them foot the bill because you risk the chance of having the agent flag your account and drop your coverage altogether since you're pretty much admitting that your using a covered car under policy for off road use (yes this has happened to others). I'd say your best bet is to sell it as on ebay or copart and try to recoop as much as possible. With the wait times and scarcity on parts, rebuilding might not even be a feasible option and might take months....if best case scenario, parts are available and the frame isn't damaged.
Even if you rebuild it with a clean title, your friend would need to disclose that it was rebuilt and accept a lower sale price if he ever decides to sell. Its not a situation I'd like to be in.....
After thinking a bit, I'd probably NOT claim or even call my insurance either. This is a tough one for certain. I'd probably start to dismantle, inspect and part the car out.

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shortly after impact it also rolled on its roof but then came to settle on all four. Amazingly, roof looks very intact - not scratch/dented.

Going into turn 10 at THE braking late foot slipped off brake pedal while heel toeing and no tarmac left to decelerate - mud/grass and tire wall after that.

Driver error admittedly. These cars are so good on the brakes but not if your foot slips off and slams all the way to the floor behind the pedals.

· Registered
471 Posts
I think you mean things can happen on track that arent in your control
Yes...you do have the choice to drive like a granny...but you can't choose if the wrx in front of you drops oil or the first timer hpde boils his factory DOT 3 brake fluid behind you on a 130 mph straight

1 - 20 of 141 Posts