The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do parts start to fall off? Is the engine about toast? Is the tranny on its way out? I dunno, the car seems to be running just fine.

Guess Im kind of joking in a way. 60K miles on an '87 Esprit is probably considered about 40K too many by some people. The resale value is now ruined...right? Why would anyone ever want to buy a car like mine when they could have a 14K mile cream puff? :rolleyes:

Cant wait to hit 100K.... :shift:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'd get a roll of mechanics wire and duct tape and put it under the bonnet!

Mine just turned over 70k so I guess the resale value is really down the toilet now. :(

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My compression was low and my bearings were just about ready to replace at 74k...

And I was disappointed that money didn't shoot out of the dash vents when this happened...
Damn Vulcan.... sweet! :clap:

So once you hit the mid 70's for mileage, things started to get funky? Will this happen slowly or will the car just start running like crap overnight? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
No, the car was fine.

Power felt good, I just had heard of others needing to rebuild around 74k, so I did a compression test and it was at the MIN, so I decided to rebuild the engine while all it needed was bearings and rings.

However, once I was in there, I also discovered that the exhaust tappets were slightly cracked.

The bearings were just starting to get to the copper.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What's the 'MIN' spec you went by Travis? I know your car is newer than Mikey's and mine so I was wondering if they should be considered the same?

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
[snip]
Power felt good, I just had heard of others needing to rebuild around 74k, so I did a compression test and it was at the MIN, so I decided to rebuild the engine while all it needed was bearings and rings.
[snip]
The bearings were just starting to get to the copper.
Deloreanz/Bryan has an 84 Esprit that he rebuilt and he mentioned the bearings at copper (pictures too) - mileage was in the mid 60K range.

My 88 has about 41K miles (started with me at 30K) - that need to rebuild engine at 60-70K is not encouraging.

I daily drive the car and that means I got about 2 years left before rebuilding?:panic:

Others have gotten to 100K without engine rebuilds, yes?:huh:

I've never owned a car that required an engine rebuild - always drove them ~14 years and then sold them.

Looks like the Esprit is 'special'. :crazyeyes

·
Super Moderator
3,900 Posts
[snip] 60K miles on an '87 Esprit is probably considered about 40K too many by some people. The resale value is now ruined...right? Why would anyone ever want to buy a car like mine when they could have a 14K mile cream puff? :rolleyes:

60K on an 87 Esprit (especially a red one like yours) sounds like a whole lotta fun!

Resale value - well, if I wanted good resale value, I would have bought a Lexus, not Lotus (similar name, far different car rotfl

I have 12 solid daily driver months under my belt - my goal is to reach 100K like you - without running out of money :rolleyes:

·
Registered
576 Posts
The fact that your car is running well is great and not unexpected if you have done proper maintenance and not abused the car.

There is no magic mileage number that dictates a rebuild or major repairs. There are numbers that dictate proper maintenance.

HOWEVER short of an obvious rough running motor I contend that many persons won't notice the slow gradual decline in power thar can come from leaky cylinders, or some other items like dirty injectors. Since there is no gauge to tell you other than the seat of your pants.

When I bought my SE it was not running at full power because of an improperly calibrated throttle and an underperforming turbo. The PO was clueless.

The last SE we bought was found to have a miss by the PO that turned out to be awful compression in one cylinder. However his impression was that the car was pulling fine under acceleration. The first time I drove it was immediately obvious that the motor pulled like a Camry. But I had the advantage of having recently driven a "good" motor.

So the moral...... Check your compression, and check Freescan periodically. If all that is good......happy driving

Randy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly, these cars are meant to be driven. What's the point in buying a driver's car if you're going to worry about depreciation all the time if you use it :shrug:

60k miles on a 87 is not a lot - I have 59k on my 2002. I can't help myself.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly, these cars are meant to be driven. What's the point in buying a driver's car if you're going to worry about depreciation all the time if you use it :shrug:

60k miles on a 87 is not a lot - I have 59k on my 2002. I can't help myself.
Sure thing - Im not really concerned about resale. But, its nice to know your car does have some value should you have to sell it. I will say this - mine is as sorted out as you can get with a solid ownership/service history so thats gotta be worth something. The paint and interior are even in excellent shape so cosmetically it makes the grade as well. Its all good.

Either way - I dont care, she gets driven as much as possible and I ant changing anything. :clap:

The fact that your car is running well is great and not unexpected if you have done proper maintenance and not abused the car.

There is no magic mileage number that dictates a rebuild or major repairs. There are numbers that dictate proper maintenance.

HOWEVER short of an obvious rough running motor I contend that many persons won't notice the slow gradual decline in power thar can come from leaky cylinders, or some other items like dirty injectors. Since there is no gauge to tell you other than the seat of your pants.

When I bought my SE it was not running at full power because of an improperly calibrated throttle and an underperforming turbo. The PO was clueless.

The last SE we bought was found to have a miss by the PO that turned out to be awful compression in one cylinder. However his impression was that the car was pulling fine under acceleration. The first time I drove it was immediately obvious that the motor pulled like a Camry. But I had the advantage of having recently driven a "good" motor.

So the moral...... Check your compression, and check Freescan periodically. If all that is good......happy driving

Randy
Thanks, Randy. I got lucky since my pervious owner was a nutcase for details and really kept the car dialed in. He didnt skimp anywhere and if the car needed something it got it ASAP and thats that. He even did some good mods like rewiring, using better relays, better grounding, stuff like that. Its got the Euro spec cam setup too for a little more ooomph.

I agree that its mostly feel with these cars. Ive grown accustomed to how she works and its very obvious to me when something is amiss. Me and a forum member swapped out my clutchmaster this weekend due to something not feeling quite right with my shifting. Sure enough, master had a very slow/small leak. Part replaced, problem solved. Ya just gotta stay on top of things and the car will reward you with great reliability and fun times. :)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Change the fluids on a regular basis and do compression checks. Keep an eye on the turbos, they are past due. The engine is nearing the end of it's useful life and will start consuming oil and have less power. Track the mileage and oil consumption. When either starts changing fast it is time to do something. Worry about the circlip on the transmission input shaft. By keeping the service up to date you can extend things somewhat.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
902 Posts
Change the fluids on a regular basis and do compression checks. Keep an eye on the turbos, they are past due. The engine is nearing the end of it's useful life and will start consuming oil and have less power. Track the mileage and oil consumption. When either starts changing fast it is time to do something. Worry about the circlip on the transmission input shaft. By keeping the service up to date you can extend things somewhat.
David Teitelbaum
Sorry Dave, but this strikes me as really alarmist. And it is an 87; turbo, not turbos.

And what exactly is the idea that the engine is nearing the end of its useful life based on? What compression and leak down tests have been run on Mike's car? What data is there to indicate the engine is near end of life? Is there a properly sample sized based document out there that shows that Esprit engines have short lives, or is this just an old wife's tale?

And as for starting to have less power; no way. I've been in Mike's car numerous times and it pulls like a friggin' freight train.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts