The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like Elise. she takes care of me during the week and is just an awesome car to commute in... until I took her to the track yesterday...

I'm never going to be happy with another car again, ever. Going into corners at a local 1.1 mile go-kart track I found that I can go into a corner hot and turn the wheel and she not only turns but she pulls and tells you exactly how she felt through the corner....:coolnana:
:shift::shift::shift::shift:
It has changed everything I know and love about the car- Thank you Lotus

For those of you who haven't taken your Lotus to the track, why not?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Reasons why Lotus owners do not take their car to the track:
If I take it out of the garage, I will just have to wash it again.
I can't afford to fix it if it gets wrecked or breaks.
Tracks scare me, I have seen the videos.
The "other" drivers on a track scare me, I have seen the videos.
My car is not set up for the track.
I didn't buy my car for that.
My spouse would kill me.
I can't afford to eat another set of tires.
There isn't a track near my home.
Etc.. ..
I will chime in here, the track *is* fun. Give your car a shot at being used what it was designed for.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have had 4 subarus a WRX a Legacy Gt and two STi's. I sold the most recent STI because while it was fun at the track it didn't have the feel I wanted and because of it I only did one track day per year with it at one track. I bought the Elise and who knows maybe an exige in a few years and will have 7 or more track days at 4 different tracks this year alone.

There is No Way In Hell you can convince me that you EVER get close to even 90% on the road for more than a few seconds so the track is the only place to truly learn the car, get to full speed and do it relatively safely.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
uihhhhh .... so what's your point????? Just keep it parked in the garage? OR JUST GO DRIVE THE %^$# out of it!!!!!
I am praying for the completion of Club Motorsports track in Tamworth. I need something local. I drive at our little one runway airport, but I have already raced all the planes and have beaten them. Planes really can't corner well on the ground.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Addertooth i totally agree with you on every reason you touched upon. Too expensive for everything: tires, brakes, oil, gas, etc...

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Komiko, please don't confuse my humorous list of "excuses" for my actual opinion. The final lines sum it up. There should be little question about how a car is used if the owner has a V2 fuel tank and R6 tires.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
Earlier this year I took a good look at our Elise at the end of a good long CHIN weekend. Dirty, melted tire bits all over her, tons of brake dust, one of the front turn signals had popped out. Still had her teeth on from Halloween.

Absolutely beautiful. Happy car. Exactly what a Lotus should be. Great date too :)

photo2.JPG

Back home my detailer had her looking sharp again the next week. Rigged up a metal clip for the turn signal. Graces the garage until next adventure.

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
I have had 4 subarus a WRX a Legacy Gt and two STi's. I sold the most recent STI because while it was fun at the track it didn't have the feel I wanted and because of it I only did one track day per year with it at one track. I bought the Elise and who knows maybe an exige in a few years and will have 7 or more track days at 4 different tracks this year alone.

There is No Way In Hell you can convince me that you EVER get close to even 90% on the road for more than a few seconds so the track is the only place to truly learn the car, get to full speed and do it relatively safely.

WELL SAID I,too, had an STi and it got to a point where i could throw it around, do all sorts of bad things and car didn't care. Elise has taught me to use the skills Skip Barber gave me!

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
uihhhhh .... so what's your point????? Just keep it parked in the garage? OR JUST GO DRIVE THE %^$# out of it!!!!!
I am praying for the completion of Club Motorsports track in Tamworth. I need something local. I drive at our little one runway airport, but I have already raced all the planes and have beaten them. Planes really can't corner well on the ground.
You have no excuse. NHMS speedway in Loudon. SCDA has next track event there 8/17. See you there!!

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
Earlier this year I took a good look at our Elise at the end of a good long CHIN weekend. Dirty, melted tire bits all over her, tons of brake dust, one of the front turn signals had popped out. Still had her teeth on from Halloween.

Absolutely beautiful. Happy car. Exactly what a Lotus should be. Great date too :)

View attachment 188856

Back home my detailer had her looking sharp again the next week. Rigged up a metal clip for the turn signal. Graces the garage until next adventure.
Love the teeth! She does like getting dirty doesn't she? Was even happier when I eliminated her REAR panel.:drool:

·
Registered
708 Posts
My reason:

Hundreds of track days already. Too many years as an instructor burned me out. I will likely get back into it when my older son turns 18 and can take a HPDE school, but for now, I'm fine street driving the Elise.

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Reasons why Lotus owners do not take their car to the track:
If I take it out of the garage, I will just have to wash it again.
I can't afford to fix it if it gets wrecked or breaks.
Tracks scare me, I have seen the videos.
The "other" drivers on a track scare me, I have seen the videos.
My car is not set up for the track.
I didn't buy my car for that.
My spouse would kill me.
I can't afford to eat another set of tires.
There isn't a track near my home.
Etc.. ..
I will chime in here, the track *is* fun. Give your car a shot at being used what it was designed for.

You are exactly on point! Why buy an Elise if you do not explore what she was designed for? When I bought mine I had to promise the po that I would take her to the track. He spent a LOT of $$$$$ to set her up for the track and would not sell her to someone who would not enjoy what she was built for. These cars were built to enjoy!

·
Registered
377 Posts
I once had two full track days in an Elise, but it wasn't my Lotus. I reviewed heal toe, rev match, and some fundamental approaches and strategies at Spring Mountain Motorsports, just outside Vegas, and had a blast. The handling was absurd and the controlled violence of the track is addictive. I'd never even tried to push the car on the street prior to taking that course. At least I know more about its limits, and can comfortable drive with more "spirit". Spending time on the track with instructors was worth every dime.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Ah the battle between the Lotus owner camps:

Track Guys - You're all insane for owning this car and not taking it to the track! These cars SUCK on the street but are equally amazing on the track. It's the only way to understand the true limit.

Autocross Guys - You're all insane for taking this car on a track, that's way too dangerous and way too expensive. Getting to the limit for 32 seconds is plenty for me.

Street/Polishers - You're all insane for letting your car get dirty!

I'm very happy to be in the first group of insanity. Here's a little fun I had getting my car dirty yesterday...

...that's a friend's 15 year old daughter in the car so watch the comments ;-)

In my mind it was designed as a track car that you could drive there/home. So far this season I haven't come across anyone faster than me in a street legal car...

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Komiko, please don't confuse my humorous list of "excuses" for my actual opinion. The final lines sum it up. There should be little question about how a car is used if the owner has a V2 fuel tank and R6 tires.
i was kidding you. Just my perverse sense of humor today. What a day.

·
Premium Member
11,845 Posts
ahem.

It should be noted that accidents do happen. E.g guy in front dumps oil, coolant....spins.

Also, your insurance coverage does not normally apply.

There is track insurance available.

Fishguy, long gone, once posted "don't take your car to the track unless you can afford to roll it into a ball" accompanied by an unsettling story (about his formula car; cheap to fix).

I have done 100s of miles of track work since 1969. Great fun, wonderful learning experiences. Seen a few cars totaled.

So, let's not deny reality. Let's convince ppl it's good for them but also provide the necessary warnings.

Oh, agree: If you get close to 9/10th on street, in a modern car on modern tires, your license should be revoked for a long time.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
Ah the battle between the Lotus owner camps:

Track Guys - You're all insane for owning this car and not taking it to the track! These cars SUCK on the street but are equally amazing on the track. It's the only way to understand the true limit.

Autocross Guys - You're all insane for taking this car on a track, that's way too dangerous and way too expensive. Getting to the limit for 32 seconds is plenty for me.

Street/Polishers - You're all insane for letting your car get dirty!

I'm very happy to be in the first group of insanity. Here's a little fun I had getting my car dirty yesterday...

Agricultural Excursion at HPR - YouTube

...that's a friend's 15 year old daughter in the car so watch the comments ;-)

In my mind it was designed as a track car that you could drive there/home. So far this season I haven't come across anyone faster than me in a street legal car...
You used your wiper!?!? Oh man... that's another $500 off the resale value!

@#%$^&

Yeah, I heard it all over my decades of superbike riding and I have tracked and raced my motorcycles so this debate is nothing new and I was actually a fervent believer in taking your superbike or supercar to the track or else stay home and look at your Corolla.

Then I got older and decided, whatever, do what makes you happy. You want to spend good money on a garage queen and spend more on waxes and polishes in a month than you do on gas in the same time frame for the car, so be it. It's your car/bike, who cares. Just don't tell big stories about how bad you are because you have all the race parts and how fast it is hypothetically unless you want real racers to shame you.

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I just laughed so hard I scared my dog out of the room!!! AWESOME!

@#%$^&

Yeah, I heard it all over my decades of superbike riding and I have tracked and raced my motorcycles so this debate is nothing new and I was actually a fervent believer in taking your superbike or supercar to the track or else stay home and look at your Corolla.

Then I got older and decided, whatever, do what makes you happy. You want to spend good money on a garage queen and spend more on waxes and polishes in a month than you do on gas in the same time frame for the car, so be it. It's your car/bike, who cares. Just don't tell big stories about how bad you are because you have all the race parts and how fast it is hypothetically unless you want real racers to shame you.
In the end you're totally right - we (most of us) are adults and can make up our own mind about what we want and what we like. And good for us being able to do so. I don't care which camp of crazy you're in - if you're in a Lotus I'm good. So long as we know we're all crazy, just in different ways...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts