The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave my car with a nice fello in a heated shop garage. He let's me use powers for a battery tender. So I go to start up car. Hear the fuel pump sound and press start ..only one "click" each time I push button. I have a really good tender with battery conditioning / diagnostic functions built in. So I hook it back up to see what it says... Says charging ...60% goes to 61, 63, 64. Take it off and have guy hook up his jumper cables to the car. Let it sit for a few minutes hooked up and try again.. Same deal.. Its most likely the starter right? I don't want to turn his house into my personal garage .. I couldn't be the battery right especially with the jump...? What do you guys think? Of course I'm selling this car hopefully soon and it never fails...lol... She must be mad at me... Probably just get it towed to my mechanic...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I leave my car with a nice fello in a heated shop garage. He let's me use powers for a battery tender. So I go to start up car. Hear the fuel pump sound and press start ..only one "click" each time I push button. I have a really good tender with battery conditioning / diagnostic functions built in. So I hook it back up to see what it says... Says charging ...60% goes to 61, 63, 64. Take it off and have guy hook up his jumper cables to the car. Let it sit for a few minutes hooked up and try again.. Same deal.. Its most likely the starter right? I don't want to turn his house into my personal garage .. I couldn't be the battery right especially with the jump...? What do you guys think? Of course I'm selling this car hopefully soon and it never fails...lol... She must be mad at me... Probably just get it towed to my mechanic...
I would try the battery terminal firsts. Remove them both from the battery (ground first off, last back on). Clean up the contact surfaces with about anything (wire-brush, sandpaper, old knife) and see if that does it.

Many times I've had this be the cause of what you're describing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Of course you turned alarm off with fob. Also sounds like it could be a possible old fashioned starter solenoid problem if these cars still have those doohickeys...

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,510 Posts
I would try a new battery before having it towed to your mechanic. Make sure to check the cables at both ends, not just at the battery. I forget the sound a bad starter makes if any, but a click as you describe doesn’t sound like the starter to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do you hear just one solid click? Or many fast clicking sounds? Only one click indicates a bad starter typically. but the multiple clicks points to a dead battery.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Replace the battery before trying anything else. 8 times out of 10 it seems to be the battery on these cars.

Or your car could hate you. My Elise tried to pull some stuff when it heard it was getting sold and saw an Exige in the garage.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
It is common not to get a good conductive connection when using jumper cables. In saying that, my bet is the battery or corroded terminals.
Michael

·
Registered
686 Posts
Interesting...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I'll bring a new battery over there with some items to clean the terminals too.. Give it a whirl!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I would definitely bring a spare battery over to see if it starts off of that. If it does not, you may want to pull the starter and get it to a shop that handles them.

If you were a little close I would recommend you to my dad's Starter/Alternator shop in Newburgh, but its too far for just a starter.

If you want to call him (845)564-0320
Ask for Lucho
He could help troubleshoot/ship you a new unit if need be.
Definitely let him know you own a lotus and his son recommended you call him

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cleaned up terminals and changed out battery.. Didn't work still.. Just one click sound when I push the start button...

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My mechanic could use a Toyota or aftermarket one as the same starters work on cellica and corolla, MR2 with the same 2zz motor.. which bypasses the steep lotus pricetag.. 250 buck plus labor

1 - 20 of 22 Posts