The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Someone backed into my Lotus at a stoplight (they're at fault, and I have their insurance details)

Now, I've gone ahead and called my insurance about this, but I'm wondering if that is the right path to take. A guy I know here at work said I should just hire a lawyer and take their insurance to task (there were no injuries, so this seemed a little excessive to me), including the diminished value claim in case I ever sell the car in the future (due to CarFax reports, etc).

Geico said I would pay my deductible, and they would sue their insurance company on my behalf to get my deductible back.

I also went to the collision repair shop, and they said it would take something like 6 weeks to order to front clam and then another 3 weeks to install. Their initial estimate said 14K for the repair work, and they have sent that to Geico.

Long Story Short - Should I hire a lawyer about this, or just let Geico handle it? Can I even hire a lawyer at this point now that I have involve Geico? I would have made a claim against their insurance company except that Geico was telling me I wouldn't be able to repair my car without visiting their insurance's claims adjuster, which would take longer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Geico is pretty good and that looks mostly cosmetic. You do want a shop who knows about the Lotus and how to repair it perfectly. Also, understand that to match the paint, they will need to blend the clam into the fenders and doors a bit.

Funny how it takes six weeks to get the part. One could fly to Hethel, pick up a box and just bring it back in a couple of days. Did you check with Lotus Garage, they may have a Clam in stock. So might Lotus of Bethesda in MD. Good luck, sorry about this. We definitely need a mandate for SUVs to have PDC and backup cameras. All too often this is happening now.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Try to resolve the claim on your own, and with the help of your insurance company. Only if that approach proves fruitless should you obtain an attorney. Document each phone call, date, time, person and message. Include attempted calls which there was nobody to answer. Fully document the accident scene, take suplimental pictures of the location with clear pictures which include landmarks (curbs, posts, adjacent buildings and road signage). Obviously a copy of the accident report is good, but should it go to court, unless the officer witnessed the accident, it could get excluded from the proceedings. All estimates of repair, witnesses, and *try* to get something for the reduction in resale value of your car, as it will no longer have a clean carfax report.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry to see this! You don't have to claim it on your insurance. Just go through the other guys insurance company and they'll pay for everything. Call the lotus dealership and ask for body shop recommendations.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geico is pretty good and that looks mostly cosmetic. You do want a shop who knows about the Lotus and how to repair it perfectly. Also, understand that to match the paint, they will need to blend the clam into the fenders and doors a bit.

Funny how it takes six weeks to get the part. One could fly to Hethel, pick up a box and just bring it back in a couple of days. Did you check with Lotus Garage, they may have a Clam in stock. So might Lotus of Bethesda in MD. Good luck, sorry about this. We definitely need a mandate for SUVs to have PDC and backup cameras. All too often this is happening now.
Well, the other person was driving a new-ish looking Buick Enclave, which according to the site has "Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist". All the technical doodads in the world aren't going to save an inattentive driver =/

Just kinda sucks.

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Mine was also a reverse in the middle of the street. Anywho, you do not have to file a claim thru your insurance or obtain a lawyer at this stage. Simply call the other insurance company. They should take care of it.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
There should be a special criminal level for anyone who backs up at a stoplight. Category should also include those who brake at the end of an on ramp. Or cruising down the interstate exactly next to and matching the speed of a wide load.

Should automatically lose license for 30 days similar to a DUI.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Take the 14k check and fix it on the cheap yourself. Clam removal and replacement is not that hard and should only take a day. Make sure they allocate costs for a rental car and diminished value too. Call the other guys insurance and be assertive and get them to settle for top dollar and then just deal with it yourself.

You and your car will be happier in the end.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Sorry to see the damage. I would talk with my insurance company to let them know what is happening. Hopefully the other parties insurance will step up, but if not, keeping your insurance company in the loop they should be able to help if things go sour.

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Sorry to see that. That almost happened to me when I was driving back from Savanna last year. I came off the exit to get gas and this truck was in front of me. We came to a stop at the red light. The light turned green and I noticed the guy was in reverse. No one was behind me so I was able to pull back quickly, while pressing the horn and before he started reversing. You see all kinds on the road these days....

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Fairly attached, but I doubt they will total the car. It still should be worth around 25K at least, right? Even after the repair.
If the adjuster actually comes up with 14 grand in damage than yeah, totaled. Here's why, $25,000ish minus that $14,000 leaves an extra out of pocket expense of $11,000 but if the insurance co can get 15 or 16 thousand for your "wreck" then that saves them a few grand in the end plus they don't have to worry about warranting the repairs / satisfying you. I'm willing to bet that their insurance company is already taking bids on your car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so I am officially Not Happy™. The repair shop seems to be doging both mine and Geico's calls, and nothing has been done in two weeks. No parts ordered, nothing. Luckily, I still have possession of the car in my garage.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to take your lotus to be repaired that is NOT Trade Secret in Plano?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
4M in Lewisville (972) 219-0349 has fixed my lotus street and track car many times. That clam is totally fixable. They are fast and reasonable, but I suggest take the money and fix the clam.

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
To perhaps prevent this happening to others:

Stop back far enough so you can see the driver's face in his mirror. If you can't, he cannot see you.

Bear in mind that some SUVs have 50' long blind spots!

Shade to the left so if the driver looks at his side view mirror, you'll be seen.

Keep your finger on the horn button(s). In traffic, I drive this way.

In iffy situations, I turn on my headlights; wouldn't have helped OP.

STAY OUT OF EVERYONE'S BLIND SPOTS!!!! Assume your car is invisible...it often is.

good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to mine: Backed into while stopped at a light. Stuart's Paint and Body took good care of it.

FYI - My damage looked similar to yours, and the end result for all repairs was over $16,000. Other driver's insurance paid it off, no issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts