The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was kinda odd. He only barks when something is wrong. I have heard his "intruder" bark when we had a prowler in the yard at 5:00am.... and that is very obvious. He sounds like Satan come to eat you.

This bark is different. It is non-stop...like he has something important to say. He has done this before when something is wrong. Like a branch fell off a tree. Or a fire in the neighborhood.

This time, after ignoring him for 10 minutes.. I walk out and he is about 3 feet from my cat. My cat is laying on the ground, seemingly fine. But the dog keeps barking. I go over to the cat and he finally stops. But something is not right with the cat. It is staring into space.... not moving. WTF?

I look closer at the cat. There are some puncture wounds near the chest by the left front leg. I see a little blood dripping down. The cat is just dazed and out of it. She (the cat) reacts when I touch her anywhere near the wound though. In spite of some bizarre sounding protests from her, I gently pick her up and put her in a box to take to the vet.

Bringing her in, we find the vet is gone for the day and our only option is an emergency pet hospital. We decide to wait a little bit and see how the cat reacts. I don't see anything life threatening as in a gaping wound. The cat tries to walk a little but can't put any weight on that leg. I think she is stunned from pain really.

Anyway... after watching her closely for the night, the next day she was a lot better and walking around and eating.

But that dog... he is very cool. He is very close to the end of his normal lifespan and we will miss him. Not often you get a dog that behaves like him, that hops over the fence to go poop somewhere else in the canyon (when we first got him, we thought he just did not poop). :).. That does not bark unless there is a reason.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Randy Chase said:
But that dog... he is very cool. He is very close to the end of his normal lifespan and we will miss him. Not often you get a dog that behaves like him, that hops over the fence to go poop somewhere else in the canyon (when we first got him, we thought he just did not poop). :).. That does not bark unless there is a reason.
Sucks that they don't live longer... they really do become a member of the family.

My dog and my two birds were acting very strange for about a month earlier this year - barking, screeching, etc... constantly. They stopped acting strange after we had an earthquake (not a common thing in the Chicago suburbs).

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Wow! great dog! I had a dog that wood go sh!t in the woods as well - the sign of a good dog. ;)

Watch the cat closely though. My roommate's cat got a coyote bite that got horribly infected - we didn't really know until the wounds started stinking because the cat was hiding under the bed for a couple days - only came out to eat and go to the bathroom.
The bite looked like two puncture wounds. I, too, found the cat sitting stationary outside after hearing some horrific growling/screaching noises - which was even more odd being that it's an indoor cat (a story in and of itself - another time ;) ).

Incidently, my roommate used to have two cats. Gotta keep an eye on their whereabouts when the coyotes come out.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Randy,
If it's a bite wound the cat NEEDS to be on antibiotics broad spectrum. Wound to the chest wall is bad if it gets infected.

Please talk to your vet about it, it can abscess and get bad fast.
Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
huggy bear said:
How did the cat get puncture wounds?
We do not know. They are spaced pretty close together. Could be a snake. We used to have problems with a bocat in the canyon behind our house. Lost two Tonkinese cats to the bobcat (hard to keep the cat indoors) before we got the newer breed of cat... Orange. Could be a coyote.

And one thought... the dog was even smarter than we thought.

Dog- "Muahhahha.... I will bit that little prissy cat. The at can't talk. The owners will never figure it out. Hahha!! I will be a hero! I will get treats!Mmmmmm treats."

But his bite mark would be bigger. Could have just been a cat fight too. I never heard it though and this amount of damage is surprising.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
huggy bear said:
How did the cat get puncture wounds?
probably a coyote bite - living near a canyon (or mountain in my case) in Southern California & night time = coyote.

edit to add: or bobcat. ;)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Speaking of smart dogs, my best friends just gave birth to a baby girl two weeks ago and anytime the baby cries the dog comes and gets them. Nobody taught him. Smart protective little fella.

_JD_ said:
chupacabra- those bastards don't mess around
LOL

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
BrianK said:
probably a coyote bite - living near a canyon (or mountain in my case) in Southern California & night time = coyote.

edit to add: or bobcat. ;)
When living in Running Springs, our Old English Sheep Dog, Lady, started barking her "Something is Wrong!!! bark. Next morning we found out that the Bear had been on our deck and dragged off the 50 pound bag of dog food - that he ate on the hill about 10 feet from the house... It's been 10 years, and I still miss Lady.

Unfortunately, now all we have is two little "yapping dogs" that bark at a falling leaf...:(

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
_JD_ said:
chupacabra- those bastards don't mess around

Sorry about El Gato. Hope he recovers well. I had the same bred - Pure breed orange. :D

I miss my cat, got him when I was in kindergarden and he died a little after high school. Many many moons ago...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Our cat finally gave it up in July, she was 21 years old! She did OK right to the end though, would still give the dogs a swat if they got too rough. We have three dogs, three aquariums, and a part time guinea pig. I don't think we need to replace the cat.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Randy Chase said:
He sounds like Satan come to eat you.

Funny. I have a 120# Rhodesian Ridgeback. He only barks a dozen or so times a year, but when he does, it sounds like the world's coming to an end. I've learned to pay immediate attention. There's always something of interest going on.

Like mormons at the door, or pyramid scammers. I think he affects their sphincter tone. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little Bastard said:
:huh: what is: a part time guinea pig? :confused:
One the school sends home with your child.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Randy Chase said:
One the school sends home with your child.
Or one the teacher has to bring home for the summer/holidays...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts