The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right there behind the passenger door? Has anyone looked at this up close? Will it be a problem filling? I don't want to scratch my baby by accident, or drip some gas on her. I'll be the one at the gas station with a towel down for protection ;)

(I stole one of your picts BrianK, it had a nice angle)

~FJ

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I never understood that law, it's like outlawing apple pie ala mode in some states.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I had a friend from NJ (also illegal to pump own gas), and I remember having to teach him how to pump his gas. He acted like we were handling toxic waste. ("Are you sure you're doing this in the right order?" "WAIT... The cap says you should loosen it for a few seconds before removing it!" "Hey, you slid the card before you pressed the button to select credit!" "Oh, man, some dripped on the ground!") This experience happened soon after I had moved to the east coast from Texas, and I was already in culture shock... I was dumbfounded that any state outlaws pumping own gas, particularly since the whole rest of the union allows it. So weird. (To be perfectly fair, though, this is the same friend who taught me to drive standard, so he's not completely helpless.)

Cade

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Ah youth!! Some of us are old enough to remember when all gas stations had attendants and all you did was say "fill 'er up". And they checked the oil for you. Of course, we still had leaded gasoline, which wasn't so good.

I'm old enough to also remember record players, 8-track tape decks, typewriters and slide rules.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
jml1952 said:
... slide rules.
I resemble that remark, I might not be old enough to have been around for slide rules, I used a HP 28S in undergrad (still got it and use it with its full 32 bytes of RAM) but I do know how to use a slide rule, they're great for yanking peoples chains (esp those who're looking for a calculator!)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
But the price for full service in NJ is the same as for self-service in nearby states. I remember the first time I drove out of state (I grew up and lived in NJ until about 5 years ago)and needed gas. I sat there waiting for about 5 minutes for an attendant to come out, and was getting really pissed due to slow service. Just then someone else pulled up and started pumping their own gas.
I felt like a real moron after I remembered that everywhere else you have to do it yourself. If they ever changed it to self serice in NJ, the stations would go broke because of people filling up and taking off without paying. My apologies to the few remaining honest people in NJ who havent decided it time to get out of there. But Newark is the car theft capital of the nation or at least it was when I lived there. If it isnt nailed down, then people would steal it. Crack addicts were breaking into houses and stealing the copper plumbing because they could take it to the recycling center and get a few bucks for it. If they could get free gas they would probably pour it into 55 gallon drums and light it to keep warm during the winters and wind up burning down the whole street.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If they ever changed it to self serice in NJ, the stations would go broke because of people filling up and taking off without paying... If they could get free gas they would probably pour it into 55 gallon drums and light it to keep warm during the winters and wind up burning down the whole street.
But don't they need to have stolen credit card before they can steal gas?

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Yeah.... self-serve-only stations won't allow you to pump until you've paid... nifty invention to prevent gas theft.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
babak said:
I resemble that remark, I might not be old enough to have been around for slide rules, I used a HP 28S in undergrad (still got it and use it with its full 32 bytes of RAM) but I do know how to use a slide rule, they're great for yanking peoples chains (esp those who're looking for a calculator!)
When I took my first basic chemistry class at UC Berkeley in 1970, calculators were banned for tests because they were too expensive for everyone to own (had only recently hit the market). We had to do all calculations on the slide rule.

Don't get me wrong - I much prefer calculators and other modern conveniences.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Yeah.... self-serve-only stations won't allow you to pump until you've paid... nifty invention to prevent gas theft.
Not all of them. Guess it depends on where you are. Most of the ones I have seen you pump and then have to go inside and pay. But this might have changed. I avoid the hastle and always use a credit card or Mobil Speedpass instead. Plus you dont get bonus rewards for using cash.

·
Registered
971 Posts
jml1952 said:
slide rules.
I was using a slide rule as a navigator until 1999, when I had to give up that honest trade for becoming a pilot. I still find my whiz wheel faster than a calculator, if you aren't concerned about more than 2 significant digits.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
on a serious note, to answer your question I have not known anyone experience problems with the filler cap. Except for the small number who have left the cap on the fuel pump and driven away :p

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
MotorCade said:
Ahhh... the whiz wheel. Many memories... (Think circular slide rule for you non-military types)

Cade
Military is not the only place for a Whiz wheel. Albeit far too inferior by your standards I used one in med-school to calculate Due dates and trimesters, (man I loved catching kids, but I really missed sleeping)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Personally I like the fuel cap on the S2, and hope it's not changed much (I don't have any reason to expect that it would be). The S1's cap was in the same location but was a more bulbous, chrome-plated looking affair. It kind of looked cool for the S1 which generally had a more playful, cutesy look, but it wouldn't look at all right for the S2. Kind of like the difference between the original body-style Miata and the new one.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
How long before we see the CF version?

Very glad we are allowed to pump our own gas in California (knock on wood). I know how careful I am.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts