The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused

So will it be a complete brand new front end design more like an S3 or just a facelift like a S2.5?

if the one coming to the US is S2.5 when will the S3 come out? since the S1 only last for 5 years

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
burburlulu said:
I am confused

So will it be a complete brand new front end design more like an S3 or just a facelift like a S2.5?

if the one coming to the US is S2.5 when will the S3 come out? since the S1 only last for 5 years
The credible rumor is that the US Elise will be visually very, very similar to the S2. I doubt a new body style would come out any time soon, Lotus doesn't have much money for R&D. More likely is for a new, Elise-based Esprit to be introduced in a couple years, followed by a new Elise a couple years after that.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI,
Well judging from Lotus' history of instituting ongoing body changes/mods during a model year. I suspect the US Elise will incorporate all the items seen on the S2.5(?) with or without additions to that to make it comply with US regs, waivers notwithstanding. Of course the engine will be different and as reported in spyphotos printed in Autoexpress last week of so called US Elise it showed exhaust exiting out the bottom of the diffuser (I've yet to get copies or even seen these pics yet!!)

Hope this helps.
Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
One rumor I've heard is we'll get a slightly longer wheel-based version of the current S2. I believe it's a short-wheel based version of what the new Esprit will use. Styling wise like the S2. If it means a larger engine bay, wonder about a larger displacement motor off the bat or a few years down the road.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
LarryB said:
One rumor I've heard is we'll get a slightly longer wheel-based version of the current S2. I believe it's a short-wheel based version of what the new Esprit will use. Styling wise like the S2. If it means a larger engine bay, wonder about a larger displacement motor off the bat or a few years down the road.
I still think it'll have a Toyota V6 with TRD supercharger. :) I wouldn't mind a longer wheelbase, assuming Lotus does their homework and maintains the handling dynamics of the S2 (with wider front tires to get rid of that understeer I hear about).

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Personally I hope that the car will be as close as possible to the original; very small, very simple, very lightweight. What I'm afraid of is what they call in some circles "mission creep" - what starts out as a simple and elegant concept ends up getting all kinds of junk hung onto it and you end up ruining the thing. I hope that Lotus USA keeps their eye on the ball, which is, IMO, to get a barebones little sportscar on the U.S. roads.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
My guess is they'll keep it very close to it roots(1.8 l, light weight...), to start. However if it's a longer W.B. it will allow them to fatten it up with a V-6 and all the added extra's, hopefully as a "touring" version of the Elise or maybe something between the Esprit & Elise. The modular approach with a common chassis that can grow makes sense for Lotus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts