The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curiosity's finally got the best of me. How does the soft top (hood, whatever) work on the S2? I have a pretty good understanding of the gymnastics needed to install the top on the S1 thanks to Tiff Needell and Top Gear, but the S2 is a mystery. Especially since R&T quoted 30 seconds to install.

So how does it work? Are there rigid cross members on the ends that snap into place? Somebody got pics?

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are two flimsy "sticks" that must first be installed. These run from front-to-back, and are installed pretty much right above each seat. They just serve to keep the soft top from drooping down into the cabin or flapping in the wind.

On the soft top itself, there are two rigid cross members that run front-to-back from the windshield to the rollbar housing. These are actually quite thick and sturdy looking, but quite light... certainly not structural. IIRC, they have two pins on each end. You insert one pin, and "roll" the unit down so that the other pin follows an arc groove until it locks into place. Then you just go to the other side and repeat.

It was really very easy to do. Much easier than using the manual top on my wife's E36 BMW convertible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts