The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And as unlucky as that was, I am very lucky in the fact that the damage is super minimal. After replacing the front lip, and passenger headlamp assembly, few would notice at all. However, the passenger side front clam as been moved back a bit, and the driver's side front fender area has some spider cracks.

Gallery is here:

Collision with a deer. - visualechos' Photos

My questions are simple:

1. Can this spider cracking be repaired, or should I settle for nothing less than a clam replacement? Doesn't look too bad to me.

2. If I give them a set of instructions, should any reputable shop be able to fix this damage? The front clam will need to be adjusted slightly.

3. While the clam is off, is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks for any advice/info!

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Sorry for the trauma to all... How did the deer fare? Could you tell?

I'd had our Elise about a week and a deer ran out in front of me. Missed her, but pretty sobering.

First thought if clams off is replcing that radiator if you still have stock with plastic ends. Or any front oil lines.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
And as unlucky as that was, I am very lucky in the fact that the damage is super minimal. After replacing the front lip, and passenger headlamp assembly, few would notice at all. However, the passenger side front clam as been moved back a bit, and the driver's side front fender area has some spider cracks.

Gallery is here:

Collision with a deer. - visualechos' Photos

My questions are simple:

1. Can this spider cracking be repaired, or should I settle for nothing less than a clam replacement? Doesn't look too bad to me.

2. If I give them a set of instructions, should any reputable shop be able to fix this damage? The front clam will need to be adjusted slightly.

3. While the clam is off, is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks for any advice/info!
Get rid of the crappy oil coolers/radiator/pusher fans and go with a Laminova oil cooler/better radiator/SPAL puller fans.

Upgrade your brake lines.

San

·
Registered
205 Posts
ur first ?

My questions are simple:

Get a new clamshell replacement but make sure you keep ur old one since it does not look that bad. Fix the old one and keep it for the future or sell it.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the trauma to all... How did the deer fare? Could you tell?

First thought if clams off is replcing that radiator if you still have stock with plastic ends. Or any front oil lines.
The deer appeared completely fine :).

I've already had the recall for the oil lines, but the radiator is stock.

Get rid of the crappy oil coolers/radiator/pusher fans and go with a Laminova oil cooler/better radiator/SPAL puller fans.

Upgrade your brake lines.

San
Are the stock oil coolers bad? I've just had them replaced via the recall.

Which radiator should I choose?

SPAL, I'm assuming Sector111 carries these, so I'll look there.

I don't track the car, and it is 28K on the clock, do I really need brake lines?

Get a new clamshell replacement but make sure you keep ur old one since it does not look that bad. Fix the old one and keep it for the future or sell it.
But this one should be fine to fix, right? I mean, it's not a load-bearing part, if I'm correct.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
The oil coolers aren't bad, but the weight of the coolers, lines and oil is appreciable. The consistency of the oil temperature is much better with the Laminova cooler. The oil pressure is better also. I also went with a low-temperature thermostat. If you've done the lines you might just want to leave well enough alone. The Laminova setup isn't cheap.

The stock radiator is junk. There are several to choose from but just eliminating the plastic end tanks is a step up.

SPAL is a fan brand. Pullers are more efficient than the pushers.

I only mention brake lines because you can't change them out without pulling the clam (or so I'm told).

I forgot to say I'm sorry for your mishap. I grew up in Missouri and have witnessed serious damage to cars from deer encounters firsthand. A friend of mine was about to pass a full-size truck when the truck struck a deer. Nearly totaled the truck. I was sure the deer was in the ditch but it was nowhere to be found. I can't imagine hitting a deer at speed in an Elige.

San

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The front clam definitely needs to be reset. It probably has that much adjustment, so the mounts probably aren't damaged. Are the cracks in the clam, or just the starshield?

Not that it matters, but it looks like the damage was done when you opened the door, rather than the impact. As ridiculous as it sounds, your car will likely be totalled if you push for a new clam. Realisticly though, a new clam would probably be more banged up during delivery than yours is now.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Oh wow, that's completely not bad for a deer strike.
+1

looks like the deer almost jumped over or across the car. Glad it wasn't worse and you are ok...as well as the deer.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The front clam definitely needs to be reset. It probably has that much adjustment, so the mounts probably aren't damaged. Are the cracks in the clam, or just the starshield?

Not that it matters, but it looks like the damage was done when you opened the door, rather than the impact. As ridiculous as it sounds, your car will likely be totalled if you push for a new clam. Realisticly though, a new clam would probably be more banged up during delivery than yours is now.
The spider cracks are in the clam for sure, but they don't look bad, just a lot of them on the top of the fender area.

I didn't open the door, it's the passenger side. Once I noticed it, I opened the door super slowly, and it doesn't intersect :)

I don't know if I should push for a new clam or not, doesn't seem that bad to me. I've done some bodywork in the past, and know a fair bit about it, so I was wondering about these mounting points, as it seems like the clam could just be adjusted.

I was going about 40 mph, uphill, and 90% of the deer's impact was on the windshield. Still wondering how it didn't break.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh wow, that's completely not bad for a deer strike.
Looking at the thread title, I was expecting a total damage, and how you were gonna leave the Lotus community and in to the upcoming Alfa 4C. :panic:
Glad you're ok. :up:
Not at all, and I'm not giving up my car for some new-girl Alfa, she's staying right here :).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Pretty lucky for you and the deer--could have been much worse.
But--regarding the spider cracks--what you can see on the surface is literally only "the tip of the iceberg". The internal damage to the fiberglass is likely much worse, and a lasting repair will be very difficult/expensive. A new clam is definitely called for, IMO.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm having one of the top Corvette restoration guys in the US come look at the car today. He's very used to glass work, and I'm hoping he says that the clam can be worked instead of replaced. Maybe I can get him to do the work too :). My goal, as always, will be to fix it better than it was before.

So I'm guessing that I need to go with 3M instead of Starshield, right?

Also, does anyone have pictures of the brackets for the front clam? I'd like to look at them myself to see if something is bent.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pretty lucky for you and the deer--could have been much worse.
But--regarding the spider cracks--what you can see on the surface is literally only "the tip of the iceberg". The internal damage to the fiberglass is likely much worse, and a lasting repair will be very difficult/expensive. A new clam is definitely called for, IMO.
Wow, we were typing at the same time. I hope I don't have to get it replaced, but I guess I may have to.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i'd fix it. If you sell it, i'd buy it. Nice clam. Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Even though I'm a photographer, I'm finding it very hard to get pix of these cracks. I'm going to try tonight with a flashlight, and will post them up here.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a little better pic. I have enhanced everything I could to show the cracks better, they don't appear nearly this bad in real life.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, without being told to look for it, most people wouldn't even notice the damage. The yellow spots on the hood are the reflection of the tree by the way, this area is completely undamaged.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm having one of the top Corvette restoration guys in the US come look at the car today. He's very used to glass work, and I'm hoping he says that the clam can be worked instead of replaced. Maybe I can get him to do the work too :). My goal, as always, will be to fix it better than it was before.

So I'm guessing that I need to go with 3M instead of Starshield, right?

Also, does anyone have pictures of the brackets for the front clam? I'd like to look at them myself to see if something is bent.
Be careful, Corvette fiberglass has virtually nothing in common with the Lotus variety (except for the name ;)).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts