The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday I was on my way back from the city visiting a friend who got in a bad bike accident. I get all the way back home, about 400m from my exit when a little herd of raccoons rips out of the fog right at me, unfortunately I couldn't miss one of the little pups.

This happened approx 1-1:30am. Needless to say I got no sleep that night, felt sick to my stomach just looking at the poor thing.

Later on this evening we had previously planned to go do a photoshoot. I really wasn't feeling up to it because of what happened but didn't want to be a debbie downer, so I decided to slum it up in the 'ol Audi.

Well you'll never guess what happened on the cruise there. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Ended up cobbling the Audi back together after cutting out a bunch of the bumper and zip tying the rest back together. Looks hideous but at least I can drive it until I get a new bumper.

Does anyone know where I would be able to pick up a cheap intact clam? And are the clams from an Elise and exige identical?

Pics of my baby before the disaster :(

So next time you think you're havin' a bad day, just think of this guy and hopefully you'll feel better.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
It looks like porcupine quills on the Audi. My buddy nailed a porcupine with his BMW, he ended up with quills stuck in the damage. I teased him with the following statement: Hey, you have a unique BMW! You can demonstrate that *sometimes* with a BMW, the pricks are on the outside.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ouch, sorry about the damage. I had very similar damage to my car after my father backed into it only a couple months after I got it. They ended up having to replace the clam because you can't really patch that stuff without leaving a scar.

I put a 2007+ clam on my car so I just needed the 07+ headlights which work MUCH better anyway. So that bolts right up no problem, even the grilles and blinkers are the same. I haven't heard about an Exige clam swap. I know they look different but I highly doubt they mount differently. I think it would work. As for finding one? Well good luck. The guys at Aston Martin Lotus New England found mine laying around, maybe give them a try. It's a start...

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support guys. I thought I remember seeing someone post up on here and they had a ton of clams lying around. My phone is flaking out on me when I try to search for some reason, but if anyone knows how I'm talking about or can find the topic that would be awesome!

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
*sometimes* with a BMW, the pricks are on the outside.
The same joke came to mind as soon as I saw the quills.

Sorry about your luck dude. I think the varmits are rising up in your area. Elise clam might be repairable by a good fiberglass guy.

It could be worse, you could have been the porcupine!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I know what it's like. About this time last year the Thursday before labor day weekend I was driving my Grand Cherokee home from work and the transmission gave out on me. Friday morning I had to drive the Elise to work and that's when I got hit by the retread (gator) and jacked up my front clam. Two vehicles in less than 12 hours. I feel your pain!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man Ive been scrolling through all these pages of topics looking for this thread... I know I read it here.. Can't remember if it was a shop, or just some guy. But in the backyard on the grass I think he had like 20 clams!

I haven't heard from the insurance company in over a week. I'm pretty sure they are trying to weasel out of buying me a new clam. So I'm trying to find some used ones to get lined up. Where is everybody else getting their replacement clams?

And thanks for some reason hearing other people's bad luck stories is cheering me up :p

·
Registered
572 Posts
Really sorry about the damage!
As opposed to going through the expense and hassle of getting a new clam (I've been in the process of getting my Elise repaired and put back together for several months now) I would repair it. My front clam was pretty much toast after a local shop wrecked it. I purchased a cheap clam that had pretty extensive damage, and I was able to repair everything myself. I had never done any bodywork before, just used 3m panel bond and alot of sand paper. After the quick repair all you would need is a good painter that can feather the paint to make sure everything matches up properly.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
What Tony said. I'd repair, doesn't look bad.

·
Registered
693 Posts
F'n road kill! I hate that... That's why I hate the midwest.

I was fortunate when I hit a raccoon in my M3 It went right inside the center grill and I had no bumper damage. Just replace grill and radiator.

Hope your repairs go well. Your insurance is gonna be pissed! lol

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
This is what happened to my clam.... There were no new clams in the US when this happened so I had a three month wait while Lotus had a production run of new clams and shipping it over on the slow boat. By the time all was said and done it was 7 months later and well over 10k for this "simple" cosmetic repair. The bad part was that even though I went to a great reputable body shop they had such a bad time getting a proper blend they ended up repainting the entire car. The car looks excellent now with no rock chips what so ever but it was a long drawn out event for me especially with my body shop keeping my car for three months.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
How fast were you going? I nailed a racoon at 60, and only the splitter was damaged. The racoon went under the car, and I saw him run away in the side mirrors. You must have been really flying.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Jesus man - I wouldn't put this on the interwebz. PETA may come after you!

As for Exige/Elise - no, they aren't the same clam.

Call Justin at FVMC to see the lead time on Exige clams.

Good luck and let me know if you need some good roadkill recipes!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
HelloKitty,
Having a splitter really "toughens" the front on an Elise. My splitter is mostly there for strength and not cosmetics.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Very repairable! Far too many of these events have been new clam deals when fiberglass is readily repaired

·
Back to the Future, again
6,175 Posts
Wow, I feel for ya, buddy. As for the clams... the Exige and Elise mount the same but look different. The headlights changed so a new 09 clam would necessitate new headlights as well.

I remember your Elise, very nicely done. I have the same splitter and wing on mine. Really makes the car look bigger. It needs it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
google "fiberglass repair" in your area. take the car to a fiberglass guru that usually does boats/jet skies.

repairs should cost around $350 if you take the clam off yourself.
Painting will be another $200 with it off.

if you don't believe me, drive it over to one of your local shops and ask for a quote. (don't take it to a auto body shop!)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Sector111 carries them in stock, don't they?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts