The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally gave in to all of the requests to build a cap to allow you to add a Walbro 255 lph pump to your Elise / Exige without modifying the fuel pump assembly.

In conjunction with "J-Cubed", an infamous aerospace engineer, RLS offers the cleanest, quietest and most reliable solution to upgrading your fuel pump.

This cap allows you to still retain and use the OEM bottom fuel pump cushion... the pump remains practically noise free!

Pre-order the RLS WalbroCap(TM) now for $75 (retail price will be $98).

This is a preview: aircraft aluminum, CNC machined, made in the U.S.A.

(We also have the Walbro pumps available, also made in the U.S.A., normally $105 but $98 if you order at the same time as the WalbroCap(TM) in this introductory thread.)

We are cutting metal as soon as there are 1/2 a dozen or so pre-orders.

6. (your name here) :up:

Attachments

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,310 Posts
I have a Walbro 255 fuel pump in the tank, which replaced the stock pump and it's whine can be heard at idle and low speeds. How does this quiet the fuel pump? Also what is the advantage for the install? I don't remember really having to do anything special to get it to fit, but it has been a few years since it was installed.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
This cap is a replacement cap for Lotus P/N A127L6001K (Retainer Cap, fuel pump) used on the Cup260 cars with the larger 190-l/hr pump. If you install a larger pump, the original cap will not fit. The alternative is to remove the rubber cushion (between this cap ant the fuel pump) and cut up the cap. This allows the pump to buzz and vibrate in there...makes a lot of noise too. If you even install some foam around the base of the pump, the Walbro 255 is quieter than the OEM 190 pump.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Just confirming that the part you are making is what''s circled in red in the pics below.

Also, it appears that the stock cushion that cannot be used because the Walbro is longer causes lots of pump noise?

If this is the case, please put me down on the list. Thanks!

Also, here's phil's write-up on replacing the pump.

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

Attachments

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that cap gets discarded (but retain the rubber cushion!).

To clarify: the cap works with the OEM fuel pump / filter assembly of the Elise and Exige, not only the S260.

In my engineering opinion (and my philosophy of doing no harm to a rare vehicle), I strongly recommend dropping the fuel tank to do the pump upgrade. It really isn't much more time consuming than hacking into the structure of the car. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6. NOBUYASU
5. RLS order

·
1,310 Posts
This cap is a replacement cap for Lotus P/N A127L6001K (Retainer Cap, fuel pump) used on the Cup260 cars with the larger 190-l/hr pump. If you install a larger pump, the original cap will not fit. The alternative is to remove the rubber cushion (between this cap ant the fuel pump) and cut up the cap. This allows the pump to buzz and vibrate in there...makes a lot of noise too. If you even install some foam around the base of the pump, the Walbro 255 is quieter than the OEM 190 pump.
Thanks for jarring my memory. Now that i think about it I think I did do some minor trimming. So you are saying without the foam that it would cause the hum that i am hearing more so? I dont think the noise i hear is a vibration, I could be wrong, it just sounds like a loud pump.

If this might address it I would be interested in the part. Do you also include the foam that i probably do not have now? (Do you have a part number?).

Lastly, i have the baffled mod to the stock tank. The bad part is that you can often hear the little baffle doors banging back and forth, such as when you stop and the gas is sloshing around. If i drop the tank again i was considering getting this tank:

RACEtank

2 questions:

1) Has anyone used this tank, is the baffling quieter?
2) Does this fuel pump cap work in this tank too, or is it even required in this configuration?

Thanks!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
I just don't like the constant "wheeeeeeeeee" whining sound that my Walbro255 makes right behind my head. Sounds like that cursed Geico pig commercial. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Aeromotive 340

I replaced my 255 in the BOE surge tank to an Aeromotive 340 in my new baffled 60L alloy main tank to simplify and add lightness. After a trackday the Walbro noise used to drive me crazy. The Aeromotive is totally noise free and a direct replacement for the 255. This means that the RLS upgrade will work in this situation but with zero noise.
Project Import: Aeromotive Stealth Fuel Pump #11141 340 LPH - YouTube
Model 1142

·
1,310 Posts
I just don't like the constant "wheeeeeeeeee" whining sound that my Walbro255 makes right behind my head. Sounds like that cursed Geico pig commercial. :)
darkSol,

you have this tank right?

RACEtank

Do you get any noice from the baffling or the ping pong balls bouncing back and forth?

·
purveyor of lightness
4,230 Posts
darkSol,

you have this tank right?

RACEtank

Do you get any noice from the baffling or the ping pong balls bouncing back and forth?
Yes I believe that's the same ProAlloy tank.

I don't have any noise from the baffling at all.

The ONLY issue I have with the tank (besides the pump "wheeeeee") is that on RARE occasions (3 times in the past five years) when the fuel level is low and I have to fill up something will interfere with the fuel sensor level... After I complete my gas fill up something must jam up against the sensor and keeps it at the "just under one bar + fuel light on" position until I run the gas level down and refuel again.

I've learned that a nice aggressive slalom drive once the fuel light comes on will (hopefully) dislodge it and I can refuel to normalcy again... I also find I've gotten my best mpg when this happens because I'm scared $hitless of running out of gas.

Historically my best fillup has been 12.547 gallons. Supposedly the tank holds 14.26 gallons but I'm not running it completely to empty where it stalls out at the gas station to see.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn't say "zero noise", but using the WalbroCap(TM) along with the OEM fuel pump cushion, it is considerably quieter. And, it's just the right way to do it. (Exactly what Lotus does with the Cup cars and the 190 lph pump).

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Thanks for jarring my memory. Now that i think about it I think I did do some minor trimming. So you are saying without the foam that it would cause the hum that i am hearing more so? I dont think the noise i hear is a vibration, I could be wrong, it just sounds like a loud pump.
The pump vibrates...and without the rubber of the foam, it is free to buzz in there. Since there is a hard connection between the fuel filter/pump assembly, that buzz gets amplified through that large upper surface of the gas tank. I have this setup with the foam and the rubber cushion, and the Walbro 255 pump is quieter than the OEM 190 Denso pump in my Cup260.

If this might address it I would be interested in the part. Do you also include the foam that i probably do not have now? (Do you have a part number?).
I got the thin foam for $1.00 from here...
Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more

I cut two 18-mm wide stripes (bands) from that one sleeve and had foam left over. One 18-mm band went over the top (connector) and one at the bottom, near this cap/retainer.

Lastly, i have the baffled mod to the stock tank. The bad part is that you can often hear the little baffle doors banging back and forth, such as when you stop and the gas is sloshing around. If i drop the tank again i was considering getting this tank:

RACEtank
I'd get an FIA approved "bag" tank...

2) Does this fuel pump cap work in this tank too, or is it even required in this configuration?
I can't imagine that someone would build a tank that was not the OEM size there... It has got to work...

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Did you install it like BOE has posted on their website by cutting up the OEM fuel pump cap/retainer and installing it without the rubber cushion or any other padding?

My Walbro 255 is very quiet...significantly quieter than the OEM 190-l/hr Denso pump...

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll post a photo of the rubber cushion.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6. NOBUYASU
5. RLS order
4. Mack (via email)

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
Guess we're thread difting a bit here...

The BEST thing you can do to make the wallie quiet is use the sound insulator around the pump. It makes a HUGE difference. It's basically a black foam sock that goes around the pump. Night and day difference in noise. We use them on the surge tanks and you can barely hear them from the standard OE pump.

-Phil

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, separating the pump from anything hard is what quiets it down. The rubber cushion at the end is critical, as is the "sock."

·
1,310 Posts
6. NOBUYASU
5. RLS order
4. Mack (via email)
Put me down for one too. Do u have the sock or a link\part number or manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts