The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the European Lamborghini Trophy Series:

Just came across this video (sorry if this is a re-post). A sobering reminder that racing isn't just a game. Truly shocking how poorly this car fared in this impact. Obviously any on-board fire suppression system is/was purely academic in this situation. I understand the driver survived but the fire burned for over a minute before they could fully extract him.

I keep thinking how difficult it is for me to extract myself from an Exige Cup Car with full roll cage WITHOUT a helmet (I'm only 5'8" 150lbs), can't imagine having to get out in an emergency or somebody trying to pull me out if I was unconscious.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
:eek: :sad:

Oh crap!!! -eek-

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
i've seen this before...he couldn't have hit a more worse spot. here's more. he was in the car for a little while as it stopped and burned. They couldn't get him out due to the fire... Driver's name is Giorgio Bartocci. Says he was in stable condition. amazing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Watching this video is scary... even the guys in fireman suits don't seem to know how to use a fire extinguisher. They are all running around spraying the foam into the flame or smoke, or worse, onto the pavement. Lot of good that's going to do the driver.

If you ever have to discharge an extinguisher, aim at the base of the flame, where it's actually burning, not wildly into the general direction of the flame.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Did they have the right fire suppression there? The flames kept reappearing after being extinguished. Makes me wonder if they had the wrong stuff available.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did they have the right fire suppression there? The flames kept reappearing after being extinguished. Makes me wonder if they had the wrong stuff available.
That could be part of it. I helped someone out of a supercharged 930 (!) that had an old fuel line let go and proceed to shoot all over the engine block. Of course it burned, then after I put it out, the fuel pump primed and pushed more fuel onto the block reigniting it. We pushed the car away from the building it was next to, and I disconnected the battery and that was it. This all happened at the drive up window of my bank, and the situation was under control before the fire department even got there. The owner was in such a panic he was more liability than help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fire extinguishers were right, it's just that hard to put a fire out.

Looks like a normal dry-chem. For a hot, flammable liquid fire, the only thing better is a foam-based detergent from a fire hose (faster to extinguish, more flow rate). So they had the right stuff, but by the time they started trying to put it out, it was too hot. All a fire extinguisher does is starve the surrounding area of oxygen, thus preventing combustion. However, they do little to cool down what you're firing at, so if, when your fire extinguisher runs out, there's still fuel and sufficient heat to auto-ignite (or a spark), the fire comes right back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts