The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Elise with the touring pack (insulated top). I guess I have used this top too much as it's typically put on/off about 6-8x a week for the last roughly 2.5 years. The cable popped out of one end of the little clevis that attaches it to the top itself. Unfortunately, this is what keeps it down in the track and would essentially funnel air and rain into the car if left alone.

Car is out of warranty (time).

I probably need to post some pics of it up here, but has anyone had this happen before? If so, what sort of fix is available? It looks like it essentially pulled free from inside the retaining clip, but won't just go back in.

Seems like an awefully simple thing to make a top useless and thankfully I have a hard top for the time being...

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm concerned about the same - my rear driver's side cable looks quite fatigued at the neck of its connection loop, probably to be expected at 64,000 miles...are there any preventative steps i can take before it fails?..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if perhaps I can find a shop that specializes in sails/sailboats that might be able to fix this. Otherwise, I simply can't see spending $1,400+ to replace a perfectly good top for such a stupid reason...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The rear cable on my soft top seperated from the end connector a while ago. It was handled under warranty and they replaced just the cable, not the whole top. They did have to order it (took about a week), but since it was the rear cable, I could still drive around with the top on and had no problems.

The cable is available from the dealers. LotusGarage.com also lists them ($50 for the front cable and $47 for the rear).
Lotus Garage - Soft Top Roof, Cant Rails, Roof Bows

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm wondering if perhaps I can find a shop that specializes in sails/sailboats that might be able to fix this. Otherwise, I simply can't see spending $1,400+ to replace a perfectly good top for such a stupid reason...
Why? Lotus sells the cables separately. Easy to replace as the ends are just bolted to the side rails.

Part: B116V0064H

Lotus dealer or online:

CABLE-SOFT TOP-SIDE ADJUSTER [B116V0064H] - 47.42 EUR : Elise-Shop :: Innovative products :: Worldwide delivery :: Fast service

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear cable on my soft top seperated from the end connector a while ago. It was handled under warranty and they replaced just the cable, not the whole top. They did have to order it (took about a week), but since it was the rear cable, I could still drive around with the top on and had no problems.

The cable is available from the dealers. LotusGarage.com also lists them ($50 for the front cable and $47 for the rear).
Lotus Garage - Soft Top Roof, Cant Rails, Roof Bows
Awesome guys! Thank you!

I actually have a 2nd set of roof bows I got from someone a while back. Figured if anything were likely to happen, it would be to them. Still sitting in the box and awaiting future use I guess. :)

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Are the front and rear cables both part number B116V0064H?

The other part number C116V0064H mentions something about an access flap and center adjusting which I don't think applies to my car.

·
Registered
2005 Elise #3395, Chrome Orange, BOE tune, Exige wheels, splitter
344 Posts
Cable cable #

Are the front and rear cables both part number B116V0064H?

The other part number C116V0064H mentions something about an access flap and center adjusting which I don't think applies to my car.
Shawn, don't know if the back cable is the same # as the front (I replaced just the front but I can tell you that the C116V0064H is for the cable mod that was made sometime after our 05's.

To avoid excess bending of the cable adjuster when rolling up the top, the adjustment was moved to the center of the top and an access flap was designed into the top to allow for adjustment. The 05 tops don't use that part.

Noel

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
On my 2009 Touring softtop the front cable has a threaded section in the middle with an adjusting mechanism and also some extra black fabric that conceals it. I suppose the earlier tops were different.

·
Registered
175 Posts
On my 2009 Touring softtop the front cable has a threaded section in the middle with an adjusting mechanism and also some extra black fabric that conceals it. I suppose the earlier tops were different.
I'm confused... you said the middle-threaded section is in the front (mine is too), but lotusgarage lists part number C116V0064H as "23a Cable, soft top tensioning, rear - Soft tops with center access flap 1 Cente adjusting". That doesn't make sense - for us, the access flap is on the front, but they're listing under a title that indicates rear!

Is that a misprint on lotusgarage??

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I replaced mine. I just cut a little slit in the middle section of the top in order to access the updated adjustment location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts