The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to store the soft top behind the passenger's seat? Or the driver's seat with the seat pulled up a few clicks? If not rolled fully, the top would be "thinner". I would assume it would go vertically (folded). But if it is too long that way then perhaps horizontally behind both seats. I will be making a long weekend trip upon delivery and need to maximize luggage space. And topless is always a good thing. ;)

Next question: will a helmet fit in the trunk?

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Maybe the standard (non touring) top would fit, it's much thinner. I don't think you can fit the touring top back of the seats. A helmet fits fine in the trunk but in my case I have to leave the helmet bag at home as it's a large one. My helmet is an XXXL full face Simpson if that helps - it's a biggie and needs to sit near the opening... I had to test fit to find suitable spots for it to stand on it's bottom position - which is worst case. What do others do?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not behind the passenger seat. Possibly behind the driver's seat if pulled forward quite a bit. Try rolling it from both sides towards the middle, or folded offset so that the side-rails don't sit on top of one another.

As for the helmet, I can answer definitively. Yes. But it may need to be on it's side. You can actually fit two and enough clothes/tools/stuff for a day at the track back there.

For your roadtrip make sure to pack soft bags. More small bags are better than fewer big bags, too. We've made several roadtrips successfully using the two duffels, one backpack technique. There's quite a bit of room in the passenger footwell, too, if you don't have a passenger.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks- very helpful. If anyone could actually try the behind-the-driver's seat storage that would really help. I'm 5' 10" but usually prefer my seat a little more forward than many people my size.

And another question: Would a flat garment bag (not stuffed too full and folded once) fit behind the passenger seat?

·
Registered
442 Posts
DCNSX said:
And another question: Would a flat garment bag (not stuffed too full and folded once) fit behind the passenger seat?
Probably not, but it is likely to fit behind the driver's seat. Even with the seat all the way back, I can fit my thick leather jacket and a pair of shoes behind the driver's seat. I can barely fit a baseball cap behind the passenger seat. . .

And another thing. If you use smaller soft luggage and fill up the deep side recesses behind/around the wheel wells - you might be able to get luggage AND the top in the trunk. Patience and creativity is sometimes required, but a lot more will fit back there than you initially think.

Good luck and have fun!

PS - I'm curious about the behind the seat thing, too, now. I'll try tonight.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
DCNSX said:
There's a lot less room back there than you might think. Not only that, but it's extremely difficult to access - the best way is to slide the driver's seat forward and get to it that way. I think you'd be better off putting the garment bag in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I put the driver side seat all the way up and tried to fit the rolled up top which is in the bag back there. It doesnt fit, but it might if I wanted to try to force it, which I dont want to try.

The problem is that the passenger seat doesnt go forward, so there is no way to put something behind it, and then move the seat back. There is only a few inch gap behind the rear passenger seat and the rear bulkhead that you would have to squeeze things throught first.

You might be able to get it to fit it it isnt rolled up and in the bag, but then the interior might be prone to damage since it might scratch the black rear panel or the seats if it is loose and rattling around.

You might want to see if you can fold the top in half, and tehn put in in the trunk on top of the other stuff.

Just be very careful. The trunk is right next to the engine. I had about 20 8x11 bubble wrap envelopes with stuff in them that I had to mail that I crammed into the trunk until it was full. It would be easy to have something slip and go into the engine compartment.

I have the insulated touring pack top, so it is thicker than the standard top. Anyone with a regular non-touring top able to get it to fit behind the seats?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
So.... logical question...

Is it possible to retro fit the seat adjustment mechanism/mount from the driver's seat to the passenger seat so it can slide. That might allow to storage behind the seats. I would image the seat mount for the righthand drive cars would work. Can someone confirm?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
xxxotic said:

Just be very careful. The trunk is right next to the engine. I had about 20 8x11 bubble wrap envelopes with stuff in them that I had to mail that I crammed into the trunk until it was full.
Funny... every day I make a run to the post office to do some shipping and allow me a chance to get out of the house and drive my car. I carry a bunch of 8x11 bubble wrap envelopes in my trunk too... mainly DVDs.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
khamai said:
So.... logical question...

Is it possible to retro fit the seat adjustment mechanism/mount from the driver's seat to the passenger seat so it can slide. That might allow to storage behind the seats. I would image the seat mount for the righthand drive cars would work. Can someone confirm?
I wondered the same thing. Why would there not be a sliding mechanism on the passenger side other than its minimal weight?

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I wondered the same thing. Why would there not be a sliding mechanism on the passenger side other than its minimal weight?
And cost savings...
And air bag distance...
And bumping shoulders with the driver...

Just seems like you should be able to buy an seat mount mechanism and swap it out. I'll ask Simkin.

Kiyoshi

·
Registered
409 Posts
Randy Chase said:
To keep the passenger out of the way of the driver :)

Seriously, you don't need it on a car where there is no stowage space or passenger space behind the front seats, so there's no reason why they would provide it. Engineering dollars saved.

The passenger seat is at the proper distance for me to press my feet against the first foot stop to keep myself in position in an Elise during high-G turns without really having anything else to grab onto other than the windshield (not a good idea), the door (probably also not bright), the gear shift (eek), or the driver (double eek!). Unless I hated my passengers, I wouldn't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Think of an Elise as taking a trip via a regional jet with no checked luggage. You bring what you can, leave the extras at home, and gate-check your baggage to the trunk!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
khamai said:
Is it possible to retro fit the seat adjustment mechanism/mount from the driver's seat to the passenger seat so it can slide.
Yes.. And no...

You could fit an RHD driver's seat slider frame to the passenger seat, but because the seats are mounted a-symmetrically in the passenger compartiment the passenger has a lot less room than the driver.

You only get 1 inch or so of seat travel on the passenger side before the seat gets jammed between the chassis beam and the shifter cover.

Also fitting the sliders in the car on the passenger side can be a bit tricky because of the a-symmerical setup and the available seat mounting holes in the chassis.

So yes.. It is possibl, but it's also of very limited use.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK- Thanks for the input. Can some creative EliseTalker out there try it with the top folded in half or semi-rolled?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
THe optimum way would be to half roll up each side.

The space behind the passenger seat is quite small, it is about the "shelf" so you only have a little over 1 square foot to put stuff. There is no way that the top can store behind one seat.

However, it can indeed fit behind by both seats by laying on the shelf. The top of the rolled top is below the rear window. It partially covers the driver's speaker.

You can still adjust the driver's seat *most* of the way back. You have to have the driver's seat all the way forward to put it back there and to remove it.

This is for a Touring top. A non-touring may fit easier.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Arno said:
Yes.. And no...

You could fit an RHD driver's seat slider frame to the passenger seat, but because the seats are mounted a-symmetrically in the passenger compartiment the passenger has a lot less room than the driver.

You only get 1 inch or so of seat travel on the passenger side before the seat gets jammed between the chassis beam and the shifter cover.

Also fitting the sliders in the car on the passenger side can be a bit tricky because of the a-symmerical setup and the available seat mounting holes in the chassis.

So yes.. It is possibl, but it's also of very limited use.

Bye, Arno.
Arno: I assume the convertible top is nylon.
Do you treat it in any way other than
washing/drying?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not sure what the top is made of, but it is some sort of woven fabric. It's not a 'plastic' top. I actually don't really wash it at all normally speaking. Lotus just recommends water and some mild soap.

Just once a year I treat it with the kit from http://www.renovointernational.com/ to clean it and water-proof it.

Seems to last quite a long time as the rain still 'beads' beautifully on the top.

Bye, Arno.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts