The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll throw this topic out for discussion. No experience with cloth tops. The Brits us a product I think called Fabsil?? Comes in spray on and paint on. Don't know if that's available here. Im guessing it's like a 3m scotchguard, as it seems to make the water bead off and not pool on the top. I figure once a year or so to spray on the scotchguard. The manual just mentions to keep it clean but nothing about any sprayons.

Chris

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
here's a post from another site I read:

Disclaimer: I am not a professional detailer nor an expert on cloth top care. I’m just a charter member of the ARZOA who has owned several canvas topped cars over the years.

Cloth Top Care

Do not wash the cloth top except when needed, and then use only RaggTopp Cleaner. Vacuum the top before washing your car. be careful to not get any car wash mixture on the top as it will remove some of the protectant (dish detergent will remove all of it!).

Routine cloth top cleaning is vacuuming with a brush attachment. This should be done before each car wash and after driving in dusty areas. Washing should be done only if the top has become dirtied with bird droppings, tree sap, soot fallout, mud, etc.

Cloth Top Washing

Vacuum the top with a brush attachment, then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water to remove loose soil. Spray RaggTopp Cleaner evenly over the entire top and scrub lightly with a soft nylon brush. Then rinse thoroughly with low pressure water until no remaining soap foam is seen. If any difficult soiled areas remain they may now be spot cleaned by applying RaggTopp Cleaner directly, letting it stand for 10 to 20 minutes, scrubbing with a soft toothbrush, and then thoroughly rinsing the entire top again. Do not attempt to remove contaminants by scrapping with any sharp edged tool. When the top is clean dry it with a microfiber towel. After washing the top the car must be washed to prevent spotting or filming.

Leave the top up until it is completely dry. This may take an hour in direct sun, or as much as 24 hours in cool, humid weather. After the top has thoroughly dried its water repellency must be renewed with RaggTopp Protectant.

Cloth Top Protection

RaggTopp Protectant is a water and oil repellant and provides UV protection. It is a polymer which allows layering for added protection. Since it is a polymer the top must be clean before using to prevent bonding contaminants to the cloth. Vacuuming is all that is needed unless the top has become dirtied with bird droppings, tree sap, soot fallout, mud, etc. RaggTopp Protectant is only effective when applied to completely dry cloth.

Apply RaggTopp Protectant after every top washing. Application should be done as needed to maintain water repellency. Routine application should be done every 3 to 4 months.

Shake the can well before and during application. Spray lightly using a sweeping motion and using a cardboard shield to minimize getting overspray on the paint and plastic window. Allow to dry 15 to 20 minutes between coats. Multiple light coats are much more effective than fewer heavy coats. Apply no more than three coats to allow proper bonding. Additional coats may be applied after 24 hours. Drying and bonding will be accelerated if done in direct sun. Immediately after application wipe the surrounding paint with quick detailer and the plastic window with Plexus or Novus #1 to remove any overspray. After the last coat has dried there may be a white residue which should be removed by vacuuming with a brush attachment.
The cloth used on "virtually every convertible manufactured throughout the world" is supplied by Haartz Corporation and Rode & Schwalenberg Gmbh. who recommend using RaggTopp products for top care:

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/ragfabcontop.html

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It would be a good idea to store the top inside the house during winter away from the cold, dry air in the garage. Just a thought.

·
Registered
364 Posts
babak said:
It would be a good idea to store the top inside the house during winter away from the cold, dry air in the garage. Just a thought.

Keep it out of the sun. Like in the boot when your driving;) :clap:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Heh, all I do to wash my current cloth top is to take a normal rag with a bucket of soapy water and scrub it lightly. The top is 6 years old and looks as good as new (to me at least).

·
Registered
549 Posts
For the cloth tops found on a TT, several Brit cars, Porsche and>>

the Elise...found best stuff out there is sold at the Porsche dealers and is called Verdeckpfleger (Convertible Top Conditioner)...many consider this the best product for the cloth type tops....just came back from the Porsche dealer with spray can in hand. BTW...was a hoot... drove up to the Porsche/Audi service dept and within 5 minutes practically every technician was out standing around the Elise and boy the questions flew in...they loved the car:bow: One Porsche tech said "puts the Boxster to shame...now THIS is a sports car..." All is good...

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Micheal,
Funny story. Can you figure out who really makes this Verdeckpfleger? Porsche's entire line has been pretty solid, but I can't imagine that they manufacturer every last item. It might be rebottled stuff.

Though, if it's only in persuit of a few dollars of savings, then it's not worth decoding.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The Porsche conditioner is this stuff:

Clicky for one of many places that sells it online

There's a phone number on the spray can, but it's in Germany. Not sure you'd end up saving anything .... (but we can provide the number/manufacturer, etc. if you want it).

We used to use this stuff on my Audi TT Roadster and it works great. You only need to treat it annually or so.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I'm always interested in various rebranded products and finding out who really makes them. Just a funny part of the industry. Will buy my own can eventually and maybe a soft brush for the top as well.

Thanks for the recommendation you two.

- J

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi, Chris :)

On most other forums I'm LN32 (as in Ellen, and I drive an SLK32 AMG (which is now on the market). I'm Mr. TT's better half. :cool: He has a TT coupe, but I used to have a TT roadster.

So, have I confused you even more? ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Here's the info from the can ...

Made in Germany
Dr.O.K.Wack Chemie (hmmm ....)
D-85053 Ingolstadt
Tel. 08 41/6 35 55

EDV-Nr. 700 692-01
BAG T Nr./
OFSP T No./UFSP T No. 92525

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Going to hang on to that V6 kompressor for a while? Have the sedan version and still love the torque for normal street driving.

Thanks for the info Ellen.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Hi, Chris :)

LNZ_YELO said:
On most other forums I'm LN32 (as in Ellen, and I drive an SLK32 AMG (which is now on the market). I'm Mr. TT's better half. :cool: He has a TT coupe, but I used to have a TT roadster.

So, have I confused you even more? ;)
Ok, so than since he has the tt coupe why has he been putting miles on YOUR elise?????? Tell him thanks very much for the detail I'll take those keys to "my elise".

Chris:D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Probably not, unfortunately ...

I really never thought I'd be able to part with the 32 when the Elise came in, but we've got too many cars right now for two of us. I'd love to keep the 32, the TT, the Elise, and then add a new C6 to the mix .... oh, and a new garage that fits more than 3 cars .... but, well .... ;)

Still, love that AMG engine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
LOL. ;-)

Ok, so than since he has the tt coupe why has he been putting miles on YOUR elise?????? Tell him thanks very much for the detail I'll take those keys to "my elise".

Chris
:D
We're good at sharing (oh, and I get a good deal with all the detailing and work on the cars). Have quite a few concours trophies for the 32 and I have to admit that I'm not the one who cleans the wheels, wheelwells, and undercarriage (and much of the rest). ;)

... Plus, he's a nice guy and a great driver and like a kid in a candy store when it comes to sports cars and working in his 'office' (aka the garage).

·
Registered
588 Posts
seems like the soft top on my elise has the insulation coming loose from the area that seals by the window.
anyone else have this problem?

jason

1 - 19 of 19 Posts