The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,
This is pretty important so I thought I'd post ahead of picking up your cars. Below out of the manual for fitting the softop. Of special importance - make sure the steel cables are in the trough as detailed, ie outside the rubber. and you put the left (driver's side on first, then passenger side) to take off remove rightside then left side, it states this is the best way to ensure not damaging the seal.

I really like the warning about not fitting the roof while car is in motion:D
FItting it's a breeze.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Randy: Stop yelling, "WE'RE GONNA DIE!
WE'RE GONNA DIE!" and say to yourself,
"I can do this. It's only a simple top...I know I can...I really do!" Oh! What's the sense in lieing. You're never going to be able to do it so just accept that as a fact of life. P.S. - I hope you ordered the hardtop.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
In typical "guy" fashion the first I "fixed" the "hood" was done without reading the manual. Between all the arrows and keyed things it's self explanitory and easy. Even for ME! :D

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So now that you've probably done it a few times, how long does it take to put on the soft-top? With a pair of helpful hands?

Is it something you do before stepping away for lunch, or too much of a hassle?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
aty,
Yes, full instructions on fitting hardtop.

ground,

Literally one can do it alone in less than two minutes from getting of trunk to finish. Very easy, not like the s1 roof.

Bill S.,
Thanks to litigation prone americans I guess!;)

Chris

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, don't really need a hardtop in my climate. Especially since it had it's baptism of heavy rain over the weekend without a leak. The insulation on the softop cuts down on the wind noise.

Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Bill Swizz said:
Please note that the rest of the world does not have to be told to not fit the roof while the car is moving!
Ouch :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I'm glad I was able to find this thread. I wish they would have changed the manual to say passenger or driver side.

When I am in front of the car the right is the drivers side, but when I am behind it, the right is the passenger side:confused:

So we put on the driver side first and then the passenger, and take it off in the reverse order?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xxx, that's correct left side drivers side on first. Removal, right side passenger off first.
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I can put it on in about 30 seconds. And don't forget it comes off, FROM INSIDE, at a stop light in about 10 seconds. Especially useful when it's surprisingly warm and you're traveling alone.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Another helpful hint from the manual

Do not store a wet roof in the bag for more than two days.
I guess bacteria and mold can form and the heat from being in the trunk near the engine doesnt help either.

I have the touring package and it isnt possible to stick the roof behind the seats in the bag, it is just a little too tight, but it looks like I might able to do it if I try to force it, which I dont want to try .

Does anyone with a non-touring type top know if it can be done since they are a little bit thinner?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It's a lot easier to get in the car by flipping the roof back first, and then snapping it back in place after you're in. But according to the manual, you shouldn't do that, cause the PASSENGER side has to come off first, not the driver's side.

Has anyone figured out why it matters which side comes off first? There seems to be no difference at all. I was just having this discussion with Yelotus at a meet tonight, and he was of the opinion that it really doesn't matter.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I keep doing it wrong and I don't think it matters...but I put value in the fact they bothered to mention it... it must matter somehow.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I wonder if that's just how they've come accustomed to doing it, being right-hand drive in Britain and all. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
I wonder if that's just how they've come accustomed to doing it, being right-hand drive in Britain and all. Hmmmm.
That's actually a good thought. How do we find out?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So what's the 'damage' threat all about, then?

"NOTICE: Engaging the left-hand roof side rail first will minimize the possibility of the canopy tensioning cable adjusters causing damage to the roof seals."
Is the whole top symmetrical?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ground,
I can see absolutely no difference on either side, but I figure if they say it's a good idea to do it. Don't know if it really makes a diff, I can't tell
Chris

1 - 20 of 45 Posts