The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm all of just a few weeks into Elise ownership so do not have much history, or even any reference point for many aspects of this car. I'm wondering how much squeaking coming from the soft top is normal. The back of my top, behind the passenger seat squeaks quite a lot as I drive. The back part behind the driver, not so much. I know some squeaking is to be expected, but I dont know how much is normal.

The best solution is to just remove the top, and I'll do that, if it EVER stops raining in Michigan. Until then, just looking for help from those who are way more experienced than I am.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have never heard squeaks from my top, Hummmm. I would remove the top and inspect the back of the roof for wear and see if the cable has rubbed through. It might be the cable rubbing on the roll bar cover. Please post photos for the rest of us.

Reactions: TERIB

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never heard squeaks from my top, Hummmm. I would remove the top and inspect the back of the roof for wear and see if the cable has rubbed through. It might be the cable rubbing on the roll bar cover. Please post photos for the rest of us.
Will do, sometime this weekend. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
756 Posts
Mine doesn't squeak either. I'd do as Inferno suggests and have a look at things that might make a squeak.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
My softtop never squeaks at all.

My hardtop does squeak quite a bit though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, it seems I have been mistaken. I took the soft top off and went for a ride and the squeaks (actually it's a rubbing sound) were still there. Apparently the rear structure of the car (not sure what to call it) makes some sort of rubbing sound. The sound comes from the top, where the back window is, but I can't get a good look at it because I'm driving.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
My hard top squeeks like absolute hell and I've decided it's part of the charm. I'm certain there's no diagnosing or solving it at this point.

Soft top doesn't squeek.

Good luck and if you find a solution, please do share.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My hard top squeeks like absolute hell and I've decided it's part of the charm. I'm certain there's no diagnosing or solving it at this point.

Soft top doesn't squeek.

Good luck and if you find a solution, please do share.
It now seems that my roll bar is where the noise is coming from so I'm not sure if anything can be done about it. I'll talk to Lotus the next time my car is in the shop, but for now I'm learning to live with it. Other than this spot, my car is fairly silent.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
My softtop never squeaks at all.

My hardtop does squeak quite a bit though.
Hardtop shouldn't squeak. Mine does if not put on correctly. Make sure front pins are securely in their respective spots and bolts pull top to windscreen tightly. Note....Dont push the windscreen down to fit the roof. You'll break the glass..... the install is a bit of a PITA for sure.

·
Less is Better
2,627 Posts
There are so many plastic contact joints on this car and they all seem to squeak. In your case, the interior roll bar cover may be rubbing against the roll bar or the outer roll bar cover. I've taken every interior panel out of my car and placed felt in the contact points and it's eliminated all of the squeaks. If you're diligent and determined, you can eliminate most of them. I still have some rattles and a lot of humming, but no squeaks.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Hardtop shouldn't squeak. Mine does if not put on correctly. Make sure front pins are securely in their respective spots and bolts pull top to windscreen tightly. Note....Dont push the windscreen down to fit the roof. You'll break the glass..... the install is a bit of a PITA for sure.
I do not have the extra rear center piece to hold down the hardtop. There is a bit of a bulge. It doesn't squeak on long highway drives but does squeak a bit turning and going up or down ramps for the underground parking at work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts