Wtf?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Does it shoot at the sun?

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
After his island retreat was blown up by James Bond, Goldfinger had to find a new way to harness the energy of the Sun for his death ray.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Doesn't a roadster have to have an open top?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I sat in this car Wednesday at CES ( consumer electronic show ) in Las Vegas. It was just a crazy display created to draw attention to that vendors booth at the show. It was mounted in the passenger seat area ( seat removed ) by a large diameter aluminum base, appeared to be bolted to the floor, but was covered so I couldn't actually see, but it had to be with that much weight hanging off the side.

The best display at the show was the GoPro booth, they had a Pagani Huayra in its full carbon fiber glory. I reached over the bearer and touched it, probably the only time I'll ever see one.

One booth had a Lamborghini Veneno in a great red color. You could sit in it, but you had to wait in a long line.

BMW had about a hundred i3's driving around all over the strip. And I sat in a few at various displays. I really liked the interior, exterior not so much. They go by you like a golf cart, very quiet, kind of sneaks up on you.

Saw the Audi A3 in silver with the sport line package, it looked great, both inside and out. Also saw the Audi Sport Quattro in a cool orange color, it had a 700hp hybrid power train and laser lights.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Thanks gray!

I'm guessing that was more of a "prove it can be done" situation than viable consumer product sales leader.
While the unit on display is clearly a proof of concept, my understanding is that they're trying to fund a kickstarter campaign.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my opinion a concept car is supposed to look close to or help you envision what the real car would look like. this does not do that for me.

·
Vroom vroom
507 Posts
In my opinion a concept car is supposed to look close to or help you envision what the real car would look like. this does not do that for me.
Having worked on solar cars before, the way you dismiss this idea is unwarranted. Sure the way it is now is obnoxious but with better engineering we could see a more compact product that shades an electric car while charging it up. When I think about how my car sits in the sun every day while I'm at work, something like this would be really appealing (if my car were electric of course). Even now some prius cars have a solar panel on the roof.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's clear that you misunderstand that only the solar umbrella is a concept. The car is a finished product, and in fact ceased production a couple years ago.

When I think about how my car sits in the sun every day while I'm at work, something like this would be really appealing (if my car were electric of course). Even now some prius cars have a solar panel on the roof.
The solar cells in the Nissan Leaf's roof and (I think the Fisker Karma as well) are used to run a ventilation system to cool the car when it's hot/sunny out. to my knowledge, none of that is used for propulsion as the solar cells aren't efficient enough and the cars use too much power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts