The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2005 Elise that has been my daily driver for the last 3 years. It has 35k miles on it, but the other day I was heading to work and I heard some rattling and humming and then saw white smoke in my rearview. I lost gear and coasted to a stop and had it towed.

The engine is blown so it will need a replacement. This is a perfect car for someone that wants to drop in a k24 engine or a brand new, tuned Toyota engine.

Known issues:

Someone recently backed into my front and cracked the hood, leaving no note - the day before I blew the engine :(. There are some scratches on the hood from when my windshield wiper got loose as well. Estimated repair $1k.
Another person also hit my rear although it is much less noticeable and can be repaired for less. Again, nobody left a note.

Previous issue:

Last winter I had a tie rod bust and it did some minor damage to the rear clam. The tierod was replaced, I got a new rear, and car was balanced properly. The picture below shows the new rear without the letters, but I did have the letters added back.

Upgrades:

Focal speakers in front and rear and new Alpine stereo last fall. iPhone and Pandora integration, BlueTooth. It sounds great.

I've attached a pic of it from a few months ago before the cosmetic issues noted above. The most recent pics that show cosmetic issues can be downloaded from here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.joshcoffman.com/lotus-elise.zip - The car is dirty but you'll see that apart from the hood split, the body is solid. The bottom of the front clam looks new and that part is often damaged from normal driving around town.

Some more info from my records:

-I already paid $196 for California registration which is good until 8/2013.
-Vehicle passed smog last on 9/27/11
-I installed Dunlop Star Specs on 01/18/11. Mileage was 27k.
-I installed a new Optima Yellow Top in July of this year.
-I installed Ferodo DS2500 brake pads and DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors all around in August of 2011

I'm willing to trade it as well and will consider a trade since I'm looking for a daily driver.

I am located in Los Angeles. I have a clean title on hand and did a Carfax before I bought it in 09.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer told me they wouldn't be able to tell for certain unless they got into it, but they don't believe the trans is damaged. I spoke with another Lotus specialty shop and they also believe the trans is fine.

Prior to the engine smoking, the trans and clutch were solid and the clutch is still firm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Elise

Because of the damage, does it have a "salvage" title or a "clean" CA title?

There's an engine/trans on eBay for about $7k.

There's also an Elise here with body damage for $16k

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I'll take it...PM sent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.