The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on the fence whether to sale my Exige S. So I am not quite ready to commit to all the efforts of taking pictures until I know the level of interest given this economy.

Here is my car:

2007 ExigeS, Storm Titaninum, Trac Pack, Touring, Traction, Star Shield
5200 miles
3 track days in the novice group, two at Thunderhill and one at Laguna Seca.
Car is in underground garage its own life since I bought it
Bought in Jan 2008 from Wallabyguy from Hunting Ridge for $53k with 1,800 miles
This is my second car. Mainly a toy car, not daily commute.
Interior is perfect
Exterior will be perfect with $100 detail job. No accidents, scratches, dents. I just haven't washed it in three months.
New front Porterfield rotors and pads put on last month (brakes need replacement after three track dates). Thought I will track the car next year but looking unlikely since I just had a newborn and the economy is really bad.
Tires are 50%. The car is otherwise 100% stock/OEM.
Oil change once, brake fluid change, all maintenance records. CPU download in Jan 2008 from Hunting Ridge was perfect.
Mechanically perfect. No problems that I know of.
Car was placed in service April 2007. Warranty balance still in full effect.
Looking to sell it the $40-45k range. I love the car, but realistically, I am not going to drive it next year and I can really use the money.

If I get some serious interest from this forum, I will put up pictures. I am in San Jose, CA. You are free to come and inspect the car.

You can search my username P2L and Wallabyguy to trace the history of this car. I bought it on this forum.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I have moved this to 'General Discussion'. Although your thread title stated 'FS', your text reads otherwise.

'not quite ready to commit to all the efforts of taking pictures' :shrug:

Also, discussion is not permitted in 'for sale' threads.....and this one seems to encourage it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wonder if Wallabyguy could comment on whether the warranty would still be honored by Lotus. There is another thread on LT -- the Sad Ferrari thread -- that seems to indicate track days void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Sometimes playing dumb to the dealer is a good thing

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
The warranty is in tact... In NY and probably most other states, there is a state mandated warranty for 2 years or 20,000 miles which is in addition to the limited warranty, so the dealer can't "void" a warranty because that's against the law. They might be able to void their own warranty, but that's highly unlikely on a car that's pretty much stock and has seen the track a few times. Only consumables such as brakes would not be warrantied of course.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The warranty is in tact... In NY and probably most other states, there is a state mandated warranty for 2 years or 20,000 miles which is in addition to the limited warranty, so the dealer can't "void" a warranty because that's against the law. They might be able to void their own warranty, but that's highly unlikely on a car that's pretty much stock and has seen the track a few times. Only consumables such as brakes would not be warrantied of course.
What if the next potentially interested buyer is not in New York. I don't think the laws transfer across or outside state lines.

BTW - to the OP, you might be able to ask for more than what you posted, given the mileage and option combo - that price seems closer to a dealer trade in price (not what they would sell it for of course)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem with the warranty at all. They don't care in CA. They are just happy to service your car under warranty. They can certainly use the business. I believe that they got reimburse by the manufacture for services done under warranty. If you crash your car, that would be another problem. I suppose if you redline the car all the time on the track or off the track and blow the cylinders, they might raise an eyebrow. But then again, they might just put in the new engine and get paid for it.

I got a few replies at this time. It seems like a fair private sale at this time for my car would be around 45k but 42k would move it right away.

I have to wash the car, take some pictures, and probably will put it up for sale in the new year.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sorry to see that you are considering letting your lotus go. I recall you and I bought one around the same time.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
yea why wld u ever tell a dealer u track it makes no sense to me..
i told my dealer, why would you not? hpde track days, in themselves, will not void your warranty by lotus - abuse (on the track or not) and competitive or timed events (autox) will. but thoose are all different things. unless you have a shaddy dealer... they might try to get lotus to void the warranty by claiming abuse... something like that i suppose?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello P2L,

I'm not sure who you really are as I replied to your ad on Craig's list which had an original sale price for $42,000 and now has it for $39,000.

2007 Lotus ExigeS, ST, 5,300 miles, PRICE REDUCTION

But this isn't what has raised my red flags. Too many things are changing.

First your email states you had a buyer for the full $42,000 price, but then I find this post. The date is a day after your email.

In our email exchange, you claimed you were Patrick (last name intentionally left out) and you were the owner and would have the title free and clear soon, but in the last email your "uncle" Sherman (or later in the email another name change Nam H.) claims to be the real owner!

Additionally clicking on your "uncle"s website also got me immediately infected with a malware/trojan which mimics itself as being part of MS Protection and wants me to click to install and buy a software called MS AntiSpyware 2009. This is so new many antivirus s/w doesn't know about it, but Kaspersky says visiting this site is potentially harmful.

From this site I also found out that one of your original brakes was destroyed, thus the replacement Porterfield brakes and that the car was tracked.

You said you got the car from Conn. but a Carfax report says it was registered in Florida. On this list you mentioned it was from NY.

All this could very well be innocent and coincidental, but I've lost my appetite for the car.

Best Regards,

JL

P.S. If there is another 07 Storm Titanium Exige S w/Trac Pak, Touring Pak, Starshield, Porterfield brakes and 5300 miles in the bay area, bought via Huntingridge, etc. etc. I'll apologize now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I also responded to the craigslist ad that started with $39950 (date: january 10, 2009) in the bay area. Patrick responded to me by email and said that the car could be visited and bought at that price but then he raised the price overnight (by editing his ad) to $43000. Later it changed to $42000 again and then we stopped email communications.
The car and the story may be legit, but the behavior totally pushed me away from this car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also responded to the craigslist ad that started with $39950 (date: january 10, 2009) in the bay area. Patrick responded to me by email and said that the car could be visited and bought at that price but then he raised the price overnight (by editing his ad) to $43000. Later it changed to $42000 again and then we stopped email communications.
The car and the story may be legit, but the behavior totally pushed me away from this car.
Ok, guys, my apology to all of you.

I am the owner of the car. You can PM me and I can tell you who I am. Give you my personal email, address, place of business etc.

Patrick is my nephew. I asked him to list the car on Craigslist for me. My experience with Craigs when I sold my Porsche was terrible. Got a bunch of curious lookers wanting to joyride my car.

I wanted to sell the car for $42k but Patrick listed it at $39.5k. So I told him to raise the price. Bottom line is that in this market, $39k is about right, and I will let the car go at $39k.

The car was bought from Hungting Ridge Lotus Dealer. They have two locations, NY and CT. The car was sold new in Florida and then bought by Hunting Ridge. You can call or PM Wallybye and ask him. I leased the car through Wells Fargo. If I have a confirmed buyer, I will pay off the lease and the title will be clear, and the car is yours.

I am very upfront that the car was tracked. I ran in the novice group and this car was probably less driven than most spirited drivers I have seen on Skyline and Hwy 1.

The car is really perfect. Serviced once at Los Gatos Auto Group (Lotus dealer). No bodywork, accidents, dents, etc.

I am taking over the selling process now. I think Patrick just confused the heck out of everyone.

I would appreciate that if you have any further questions, just PM me. This forum isn't a place for integrity attack. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi JL,

I know that you are new to the forum. In the future, if you want to send me a personal message, please use Private Messaging. Your comments are appreciative but perhaps not quite appropriate in the general forum.

Regards, P2L

Hello P2L,

I'm not sure who you really are as I replied to your ad on Craig's list which had an original sale price for $42,000 and now has it for $39,000.

2007 Lotus ExigeS, ST, 5,300 miles, PRICE REDUCTION

But this isn't what has raised my red flags. Too many things are changing.

First your email states you had a buyer for the full $42,000 price, but then I find this post. The date is a day after your email.

In our email exchange, you claimed you were Patrick (last name intentionally left out) and you were the owner and would have the title free and clear soon, but in the last email your "uncle" Sherman (or later in the email another name change Nam H.) claims to be the real owner!

Additionally clicking on your "uncle"s website also got me immediately infected with a malware/trojan which mimics itself as being part of MS Protection and wants me to click to install and buy a software called MS AntiSpyware 2009. This is so new many antivirus s/w doesn't know about it, but Kaspersky says visiting this site is potentially harmful.

From this site I also found out that one of your original brakes was destroyed, thus the replacement Porterfield brakes and that the car was tracked.

You said you got the car from Conn. but a Carfax report says it was registered in Florida. On this list you mentioned it was from NY.

All this could very well be innocent and coincidental, but I've lost my appetite for the car.

Best Regards,

JL

P.S. If there is another 07 Storm Titanium Exige S w/Trac Pak, Touring Pak, Starshield, Porterfield brakes and 5300 miles in the bay area, bought via Huntingridge, etc. etc. I'll apologize now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SOLD!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
PL2, it was a pleasure meeting you lastnight! I was surprised to see my cousin there, what a small world..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pleasure doing business with you. Hope you enjoy the car. Post pics after you wash and wax her. :)

PL2, it was a pleasure meeting you lastnight! I was surprised to see my cousin there, what a small world..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts