The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For sale - 1989 Lotus Esprit SE. I've owned this car for 10 years now, not using it too much lately and time for some changes. Recent work 3 years ago was an engine-out refresh, over $10k, including new timing belt, tensioner, valve adjustment, cam seals, transmission seals, shift linkage update, new clutch, new radiator, and misc hoses & fluids. Also did all suspension bushings. Just got car back today with new brake master cylinder as the original was going to the floor when sitting at a light. I've done several other minor updates/repairs/fixes over the years, including replacing the right side fuel tank & pump, plugs & wires, some computer pin repairs. I added a touch screen to replace the radio, its functional but I don't use it much. I upgraded the front brakes to 4 piston calipers many years ago. It's otherwise pretty stock. AC does not work, all parts seem to be there, but I never bothered with it. Not sure on the dual exhaust, I thought that year SE still had single pipe, so it may have been done prior to my owning it. I have most all receipts, as well as the full shop manuals, and the ALDL cable and software for using EspritMon etc with the car. Some of those experior pics look really good, in person this car can pass a 10 foot test, but on close inspection you will see it's been driven! Small chips around rear spoiler, door, front lower lip, etc. Front & rear bumper covers have a repaint that does not quite match the original color exactly. Interior decent but showing wear. Happy to take a pic of anything you want, or video of things running, etc.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sports car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Wheel
Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive engine part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Steering part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quick update: Mileage is just under 47,000 miles. Tires are 7 years old, I've put maybe 4k miles on them, so plenty of tread, no dry rot, but certainly not new. I think the price is fair given this car is by no means perfect. You will have an opportunity do do some small projects for sure! I did the expensive hard things like the engine-out stuff, and got to enjoy after that for a while! Here's a bunch of small things that I'm aware of as I don't want to mislead anyone: Steering wheel has a little play in it, I already did bushings, so its something else. The new thermostat that was put in runs too hot imo, needs to be replaced with the cooler one (80C I think, I seem to run at 90C when hot). Heat/vent controls seem to not allow a lot of cool fresh air, heat works great! It's time for an oil change. I can smell a hit of gas fumes in my garage now, its not the tanks, maybe the connector hose at the bottom of the two tanks, or a vent hose going bad? Passenger side window is really slow, its better when I use both window switches at the same time, which maybe is a ground issue, but I would want to pull the door panel and lube up stuff or check that motor too. Lets see, what else? Nothing comes to mind right now. What surprises me, and lots of people, is that this car always starts, runs strong, very reliable, good on gas, and killer looks! It mostly lives in my garage, but also lives under a car cover for part of the winter, like I said, paint not perfect anyway. But if I leave it for a month, then jump in, it will start right up and just goes! Sort of the opposite of what people think of old British cars! I've only advertised on this site for now, not in a rush, but I do think someone will get a lot of enjoyment as the next owner, as I did.

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Where is this located?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a few pics of the paint bumps and bruises I mentioned (try and ignore the dirty car, the bad spots should be evident in the pics):

Line Material property Automotive exterior Metal
Material property
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Tire Auto part
Yellow Automotive tire Tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Yellow
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part
Vehicle door Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

·
Administrator
9,113 Posts
closed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts